Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback

I have been using zeovit for a year and am very happy. But my nitrates don't go below 5ppm and my phosphate is 0.01.
    My routines in my 300 liters are
    Zeolite change every two months
    3 drops of zeobak
    2 times a week I was using biomate, currently I have stopped using it
    Coral snow twice a week
    Flatworm 2 times a week
    Sponge power 3 times a week
    Zeovit Carbon changed every month
    10% weekly water change
    Acropower twice a week
    My corals are fine but should nitrates drop more? Could I improve the health and color of my corals with another product?

A NO3 level of 5 mg will not have a really visible impact to your corals however after one year the level could be lower. There are many reasons for a elevated level for example low reactor flow, heavy fish load, deep sand bed, mechanical filtration, small skimmer etc. Can you give us some more details also a description of your corals what exactly you like to improve ? Are your corals basically growing well showing healthy polyp expansion ?

G.Alexander

Comment

The reactor flow is 300 l / h. It is a skimz, it cannot be regulated because it is cascaded. I removed the sand because I have always had nitrate problems, I have an oversized vertex skimmer and few fish. Filter material I only have 1 liter matrix in the sump. I am happy with the color and health of the corals, perhaps the growth is not very fast. But he recommends sticking with the additives I use until my nitrates go down or I would add some to improve the color or health of the corals

Comment

Reactor flow is important so if you have any chance to measure it I would suggest to do to be sure it is really 300 liters per hour. You can additional try to reduce ZeoStart to 2(3 temporary while keeping a close eye on the PO4 level which should not increase, additional dose 6 drops BioMate every other day while trying to lower the ZeoStart dosage.

My experience with the Matrix filtration material is limited but there are some information on the web that it can produce NO3 in some systems. Maybe it is worth to give it a try removing it. Instead of the Matrix material you can use some old zeovit media if you like to. If you decide to remove the material do this just slowly step by step.

To improve growth make sure to have a adequate K+ level, Xtra might also be a good addition to your dosing regimen. Some additional water changes might also improve growth, you can try to do three water changes each 15% within 10 days to refresh elements in a balanced way.

G.Alexander

Comment

I don't understand the part to reduce zeostart to 2.2ml? At the moment I use 10 ml! (5 morning 5 night) diluted with rodi. Using old media refers to zeolite? Change the matrix for the zeolite used? In the same amount ?? Potassium I usually have 380 or 390.
          Pols Xtra konzentrat o special?
          Last edited by juannnn; 04-11-2021, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Sorry this was a typo should mean 2/3 so if you dose 2 x 0.3 ml daily undiluted at the moment you can try to reduce the dosage to 2 x 0.2 ml temporary.

I would retry to remove the matrix material slowly step by step while keeping some old ZeoVit material passively flown in the sump instead, 0.8 – 1 liter would be ideal. The material would act as a biological filtration material.

XTra Standard would be my recommendation.

G.Alexander

Comment

Pols Xtra special and concentrated are the only ones I can find now in the store. And what is the reason to lower the dose of zeostart? I will remove all the matrix and replace it with zeolite progressively. I also have live rock in the sump, should I leave it?
              Flatworm and pols Xtra recommend with lights on or off?
              Last edited by juannnn; 04-12-2021, 06:55 PM.

Comment

The temporary reduction of ZeoStart can help to decrease the NO3 level while the PO4 level is stabile low so it might be worth a try.

You can leave the live rock in your sump.

You can dose XTra and FlatwormStop anytime.

G.Alexander

Comment

I did all the recommendations he gave me and I still have problems with nitrates and I don't know where they come from because I don't have sand ... Right now they are above 10 and I can only keep them with 15% water changes

Comment

Can you please share a picture of your sump and a full tank shot ?

G.Alexander

Comment

The photos are not very good if you need to know something you can ask me, the sink is not completely clean because it is very uncomfortable to work in.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi ya Juannn,

Wow, that is a love coral garden you have there
                        What type of lighting do you have.

Hey, if this was me, and a few idea's

I would test my RODI for nitrates,
                        I would also test the new newly mixed up salt for nitrates also.
                        One never knows - and helps elemental basic areas
                        (not all RO filter or DI resins are what they say they are)

Your sump -
                        To me you have your return plumb in the middle ??
                        ( intake filter- skimmer-returnpump- Z-reactor- 1 liter matrix)
                        This seem to may have a dead spot where your matrix is also (low flow)
                        Water like to take the easy route. To return pump.

Is it possible to plumb the return pump at the end ??
                        (Intake filter-skimmer-Z-reactor-return pump)

Also, As G.Alexander mentioned about (matrix ) Producing NO3 and exchanging it slowly, for z-stones.
                        Being at the end of your sump, in a low flow zone, It maybe creating NO3 sink
                        Most people use the product in a higher flow zone, Under filter socks, or in baffle and power filter.

Next water change, pull it out and give it a good wash in you OLD TANK WATER
                        Fresh water will kill the bacteria
                        And place it at Near Skimmer outlet

Hey, I hope these idea help,
                        Ur tank looks awesome, once again

Regards
                        NickB

Comment

Thank you for the pictures, the fish stocking level does look moderate also so I would rule them out causing the elevated NO3 level.

Nick did mention some really good points, I would try those changes to see if it does cause a slow decrease of NO3, otherwise I can not see anything unusual or problematic at the moment. If possible please also check if there I a accumulation of sediments at areas with low flow under your rockwork, if so I would recommend to vacuum it out if possible and if you can reach it.

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by NZ-Nick View Post
                            Hi ya Juannn,

Wow, that is a love coral garden you have there
                            What type of lighting do you have.

Hey, if this was me, and a few idea's

I would test my RODI for nitrates,
                            I would also test the new newly mixed up salt for nitrates also.
                            One never knows - and helps elemental basic areas
                            (not all RO filter or DI resins are what they say they are)

Your sump -
                            To me you have your return plumb in the middle ??
                            ( intake filter- skimmer-returnpump- Z-reactor- 1 liter matrix)
                            This seem to may have a dead spot where your matrix is also (low flow)
                            Water like to take the easy route. To return pump.

Is it possible to plumb the return pump at the end ??
                            (Intake filter-skimmer-Z-reactor-return pump)

Also, As G.Alexander mentioned about (matrix ) Producing NO3 and exchanging it slowly, for z-stones.
                            Being at the end of your sump, in a low flow zone, It maybe creating NO3 sink
                            Most people use the product in a higher flow zone, Under filter socks, or in baffle and power filter.

Next water change, pull it out and give it a good wash in you OLD TANK WATER
                            Fresh water will kill the bacteria
                            And place it at Near Skimmer outlet

Hey, I hope these idea help,
                            Ur tank looks awesome, once again

Regards
                            NickB
                            I have written down all your ideas and they seem very good to me, especially the one to change the rise pump at the end of the sump and the filter material after the skimmer. I will report the results. The truth is that I am very happy with the health of the corals at the moment but I am afraid that the no3 will continue to rise and have a problem. I'm glad you like the aquarium, I am attaching a video link where you can see more detailed some acropores.
                            By the way my lighting consists of an 8 tube screen and two orphek blue bars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t44XEl-cQHU

Regards
                            Juan

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
                              Thank you for the pictures, the fish stocking level does look moderate also so I would rule them out causing the elevated NO3 level.

Nick did mention some really good points, I would try those changes to see if it does cause a slow decrease of NO3, otherwise I can not see anything unusual or problematic at the moment. If possible please also check if there I a accumulation of sediments at areas with low flow under your rockwork, if so I would recommend to vacuum it out if possible and if you can reach it.

G.Alexander
                              If I currently only have 7 fish in 300 liters. Almost all little ones except one surgeon. I'll try NickB's ideas
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X