nutrient issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nutrient issue

one month into zeo on a previously neglected tank with high po4 looking for advice to get things in range i have a 5 stage double di ro unit and making weekly 20 gal water changes.I previously had the nutrients undetectable with a algae scrubber but got busy and let the tank go some.Do i need to lower nutrients another way and then maintain them with the zeolites,looking forward to being a zeovit user
    1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) 250- US gallons / UK gallons / liter
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) 200- US gallons / UK gallons / liter
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique dosing
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)no
    5. Are you using Ozone no
    6. Are you using UV no
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)reef octopuss rated for 250 gal
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels.083 and 20ppm
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels420/7.2/1280
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)have mud in sump and was going to remove
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)led 20k look 2yrs old
    12. What corals do you keep sps/lps
    13. Tissue color (light or dark)dark
    14. How long has the tank been running5 yrs
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system stable low nutrients and thriving corals
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)cal/alk/mag
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)150 plus pounds of 5yr old rock
    18. Any present problems high nutrients
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)tip recession on acros
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)hanna backed up by salifert
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)zeovit 2l/zeobak 8 drops twice a week/food 16 drops three times a weekand 1.5 mil of start per day
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)035 for salinity and 78 degrees all paramenters are stable
    23. Which salt brand do you use fritz pro

You can use the complete ZeoVit system. Zeo basic products reduce nutrition. Its ability is very powerful, but it is difficult to give you a guarantee. After all, the old system has been 5 years old. It takes time to gradually reduce nutrients. You can try (I think there is no problem, it can definitely help reduce nutrition).

Another question, do you use a zeolite reactor?
    Is there any way to additionally reduce nutrients?

In addition, it is recommended to stop Zeo Food temporarily and let us use Zeo Sponge Power products. Zeo food can be used to adjust the appearance of corals when malnutrition is good.

Obtain a potassium test kit to determine the actual level. Get Zeo CoralSnow and BioMate, which is also quite good.

For the lighting part, 20K seems very blue. It is recommended to use a more natural lighting spectrum to provide better coral growth.
    Last edited by jacky; 04-05-2021, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I use a zeovit reactor with the basic 4,was thinking of using my algae scrubber to reduce nutrients, i test for potassium and it is in range,i made my own custom leds that grow acros like weeds

Comment

Since 19. Problem description. I suggest you use a precise salinity meter to ensure that the salinity level is correct, and then carefully check whether the individual element levels are correct, such as: Kh, Mg, K+.

Also, what carbon brand do you use? Some undesirable carbon brands may be used too aggressively, and the stripping of certain elements may have adverse effects on the appearance of the coral.

Combining the above two points, let's try to do 3 times within 10 days and replace the water by 15%. This refreshes the elements in a balanced way, keeps the salinity accurate and correct, and keeps the basic water parameters as close to NSW as possible.
        Kh 6.5~7.5
        Ca 400~420
        Mg 1250~1350
        K+~380g

Reduce the nutritional part:

Use a small container to collect the outlet of the zeolite reactor for 30 seconds at a volume of x120, so that a continuous flow can be obtained. The maximum flow rate per hour is 800L. If all the corals are healthy and the polyps are expanding, if the continuous flow is low, let us slowly increase the flow level in a gradual manner

Zeo Bac 8 drops, 2-3 times a week
        Zeo Start 0.8ml, x2 times a day
        Zeo SpongePower 8 drops every other day
        Zeo CoralSnow 8ml, x7 days
        (Starting next week, twice a week)
        BioMate 16 drops, every other day (optional)
        (For 2 consecutive weeks, if the nutritional level drops slowly and is good, then twice a week)

Clean the skimmer outlet, with as much mud outlet as possible, adjust the skimmer to wet

The unbalanced spectrum may inhibit the growth of corals.

Comment

Thanks for helping, salinity is measured by a calibrated refractometer,carbon is esv,all parameters are solid,i made a water change tonight and will do another tomarrow,i have two liters of zeolite in my reactor running 200 gal per hour thru it now,i will purchase the products you recommended

Comment

If the basic water parameters are good, what I want to try is to change the carbon brand. I have no experience with the carbon you use, and change the water 15% x 3 times within 10 days. This refreshes the elements in a balanced way.

Comment

I would additional recommend to soak a spoon of the carbon in some RO water for about an hour. Than measure the PO4 level of the water to see if the carbon does leach PO4.

Can you also tell us the PO4 level before you have started ZeoVit 4 weeks ago and what you have used before to get rid of it (absorber etc.) ?

G.Alexander

Comment

So as i stated i let the tank go for a while and po4 was over 40ppb,in the past i have zeroed nutrients with my skimmer and algae scrubber but lost coral as i didnt understand the need for amino acids at undetable nutrient levels,so i dont belive carbon is an issue,coming back from a lack of maintenance is the nutrient reason im using gfo to get phosphate down along with water changes them im going to let the zeolite keep it there

Comment

Generally, when the biological health is good and the regular Zeo4 basic product dosage and well-balanced water are used, it is very difficult for corals to starve. The appearance of starved corals will be different, and it will take a long, long time. Corals are only likely to be hungry, the probability is very low, and there are fish in the tank to provide energy and light.

Certain undesirable carbons are indeed a problem. For example, the leaching of nutrient salts has an adverse effect on the appearance and texture of corals.

Can you reply to G.'s question in #7, it's good to clarify

Comment

So i had zero nitrate and phosphate running gfo,as soon as i unplugged my gfo reactor phos jumped to .043 why wont the zeolite hold it down without gfo,dosing my normal bac and start,havent dosed zeoffod because of nutrients

Comment

If a system is converted to ZeoVit which is running a PO4 absorber it is always better to start removing the absorber slowly while starting with ZeoVit over a couple of weeks step by step. This does prevent such a quick increase of PO4. The system is bacterial based and does need some time before it starts working effective.

It seems like the PO4 level in your system is still high however compared to your first post it has dropped already. This will be a longer process but as ling as the level does drop slowly constant you can be sure everything is working well.

I would recommend to continue dosing as Jacky has recommended:

Zeo Bac 8 drops, 2-3 times a week
                      Zeo Start 0.8ml, x2 times a day
                      Zeo SpongePower 8 drops every other day
                      Zeo CoralSnow 8ml 2-3 times a week
                      BioMate 16 drops, every other day

Also check (measure) the flow through your ZeoVit reactor, it should be 200 US gallons per hour continuous flow while using 2 liters of the material which is replaced every 6 weeks.

You can additional vacuum your sand while each water change for some time to remove the sediments in the deeper sand layers. Skimming more wet while cleaning the skimmer daily to export as much as possible can be helpful also for some time.

I have mention the carbon in my last post as some brands do leach massive PO4 which I would recommend to rule out if you do not use korallenzucht carbon.

G.Alexander

Comment

I changed carbon brands to a super pure,i have a bare bottom tank and i swapped out zeolite last week as it was 6 weeks on the previous zeolite,thx for your help

Comment

To get the porous structure of the carbon some manufacturers use phosphoric acid and those kind of carbon are pure also but leach PO4.

G.Alexander

Comment

Po4 is stable and actually came down from .043 to .030 with phosphate reactor off and just running zeovit,should be on my way,rocks probably leached a ton of phosphate anf now are stabilized, thx for your imput and help,much appreciated

Comment

The actual level of phosphate is exactly important, and the rate of reduction of phosphate level is also very important, especially if there are animals in the tank. The reduction should be done gradually and slowly, so that it is safe for the health of corals. It is also a good way for this biology. ZeoVit is a bacterial system and it takes some time to grow.

Comment

Working...
                              X