No announcement yet.

New user of Zeovit - My tank 300 litres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The redfield ratio is a parameter which does show the ratio of the carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus in phytoplankton:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redfield_ratio

I personally never understand why this ratio should be used for water in a closed system however if a system is running nutrient poor stabile no additional dosage of those components should be necessary as long as the system does additional contain fish.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thank you for the comment about redfield ratio.

I update the tank situation:
      CV 2 drops/day x 2 days/week
      AA 2 drops/day x 1 days/week
      Zeofood7 2 drops/day x 1 day/week
      Xtra 1mL/day x 1 days/week
      Coral Snow 2mL/day x 2 days/week

NO3 0
      PO4 0
      Ca 450
      kH 7.2
      Mg 1245
      K 413

Finally the kH and Ca of my tank are stable, in my opinion. I increase the kH in tank by kH solution (bicarbonate). Ca is left to drop naturally because it is so high in the salt. I already calibrate the salinity checker by 3 different methods so dont worry about my checker. I can be sure the Ca is high because of the salts.

I already added some SPS frag (around 15 frags), there are also some acans, goniopora, candy cane, zoathids, elegance,...
      Most of LPS are doing good. SPS are also good so far. I lost only the bird nest SPS (3 frags).

Unfortunately almost all of fishes in my tank are dead due to ich. Although i quarantine fishes in 36 days, the ich still enter the tank from some LPS (base stone), i think.
      Currently i only have 1 chromis in the tank.

My questions:
      - The NO3 and PO4 are so low (no detectable), i test NO3 by Tropic Marin kit, and PO4 by Hanna checker. Should i worry about those parameter? Should i add some Nitrate to the tank? I can see some brand of Nitrate addition like Sodium Nitrate...
      - Any change of dosage of Zeostone, Zeostart3, Zeobak, Spongepower, Activated Carbon are required? I still keep the same dosage as from the first day... Should i reduce the dosage to increase NO3 and PO4?

Comment

Sorry to hear about the looses. The nutrient situation in your system is basically not a problem and I would also not recommend to dose “nutrients” in a separate way. I had running all my reefs without detectable PO4 and NO3 levels and the corals where always doing fine an growing massive.

The water parameters are ideal, just Ca could be a little bit lower but this is not causing any issues at the moment.

Your dosing regimen is OK also if your corals are doing fine showing healthy growth, polyp expansion and coloration.

Continue dosing the basics as follows:

ZeoBac 2 drops 2 x weekly
        Sponge Power 2 drops every other day
        ZeoStart 0.2 ml 2 x daily

Replace the ZeoVit material every 6 weeks (dose ZeoBac daily after each exchange for 10 days) and carbon every 4 weeks. Replace both not at the same day.

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
          Sorry to hear about the looses. The nutrient situation in your system is basically not a problem and I would also not recommend to dose “nutrients” in a separate way. I had running all my reefs without detectable PO4 and NO3 levels and the corals where always doing fine an growing massive.

The water parameters are ideal, just Ca could be a little bit lower but this is not causing any issues at the moment.

Your dosing regimen is OK also if your corals are doing fine showing healthy growth, polyp expansion and coloration.

Continue dosing the basics as follows:

ZeoBac 2 drops 2 x weekly
          Sponge Power 2 drops every other day
          ZeoStart 0.2 ml 2 x daily

Replace the ZeoVit material every 6 weeks (dose ZeoBac daily after each exchange for 10 days) and carbon every 4 weeks. Replace both not at the same day.

G.Alexander
          I will follow your instruction. Thank you.

Currently i had 3 products: K-Balance, Iod Concentrate and Eisen Concentrate. When will i should use those products?

Thanks.

Comment

You can use them late once the system is running nutrient poor stabile and corals start to get lighter tissue.

If the K+ level of your system is lower than 380 mg it makes also sense to start dosing K-Balance to slowly increase the level to 380 mg, a test kit for the parameter is necessary.

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
              You can use them late once the system is running nutrient poor stabile and corals start to get lighter tissue.

If the K+ level of your system is lower than 380 mg it makes also sense to start dosing K-Balance to slowly increase the level to 380 mg, a test kit for the parameter is necessary.

G.Alexander
              I see.
              How about Biomate, Coral booster and Flatworm stop?
              Thank you.

Comment

It would be the same, lets stay with the basics at the moment. If you like to treat acropora flatworms you can use Flatworm Stop now.

G.Alexander

Comment

Hi guys,
                  I made a mistake. I changed the new zeovit reactor. When i set up, the flow rate was ok. But then after a week or so, i realized the SPSstarted bleaching. Then i calculated the flow rate and it is 2 times higher than usual... I dont know why, maybe when i set it up, something blocked the flow so the flow rate was ok, but then the flow rate increased. I am not sure how many days it ran at that high flow rate, maybe 4-5 days.
                  Now there is only few LPS alive, and fishes.
                  I adjusted the flow rate. But i am so sad.
                  What should i do?

Comment

Oh I’m so sorry to here that.

I do feel for ya.

what to do, may some fresh carbon if there a lot die off, skim wet, water changes help, but come down to how much die off.

Regards

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ-Nick View Post
                      Oh I’m so sorry to here that.

I do feel for ya.

what to do, may some fresh carbon if there a lot die off, skim wet, water changes help, but come down to how much die off.

Regards
                      Yeah all SPSs died. I already changed water and changed new activated carbon (it is part of the schedule). Every other parameters remain the same as usual.
                      But i am not sure what should i do and how long i should wait until adding new sps to the tank. Actually i am very sad at this time. The SPSs are expensive. Maybe i should wait for a couple of months to recover my spirit.
                      Should i still keep the tank like that or i have to reset the tank?
                      There are some very first coralline appeared on the glass of my tank just last week (after 8 months). It meants that it still good tho, in my opinion.

Comment

• First of all let me say that I am very sorry to hear about the looses.

If nutrient have not increased much from the died SPS corals I would do a couple of water changes and continue to run the system with the recommended water flow through the reactor and basic dosing.

If all parameters are fine you can try to add the first SPS test coral after 2 or 3 weeks.

If the LPS corals do still suffer you can also temporary reduce the water flow of the reactor to 50% for 2 weeks but while doing this keep a close eye on the PO4 and NO3 level, both should not increase. After about 2 weeks increase the reactor flow in two steps to 100% again.

G.Alexander

Comment

• Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
                          First of all let me say that I am very sorry to hear about the looses.

If nutrient have not increased much from the died SPS corals I would do a couple of water changes and continue to run the system with the recommended water flow through the reactor and basic dosing.

If all parameters are fine you can try to add the first SPS test coral after 2 or 3 weeks.

If the LPS corals do still suffer you can also temporary reduce the water flow of the reactor to 50% for 2 weeks but while doing this keep a close eye on the PO4 and NO3 level, both should not increase. After about 2 weeks increase the reactor flow in two steps to 100% again.

G.Alexander
                          The Nitrate inceases from 0 to 2.5, phosphate remains at 0. I think those both are still in range.
                          I will follow your suggestion. I am not sure but maybe i will just let that tank as it be, then will comeback in the next year to add SPS.

Comment

Working...
                          X