Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I mix Zeovit System with an Algae Reactor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I mix Zeovit System with an Algae Reactor?

I plan using Zeovit system to my 300 litres tank.
    I had a Zeovit reactor and i plan follow exactly as Instruction of KZ. But i wonder 2 points:
    - Should i also put an Algae Reactor (run chaeto) beside the Zeovit reactor? Can the Alagae Reactor support the Zeovit system? Does it have any bad effect on Zeovit System?
    - KZ suggests using Live rock. But in my country, the live rock is too dirty with a lot of pest along with it... So i hate use them. Could i replace those volume of Live rock by an amount of Seachem Matrix?
    Thank you very much.

Basically you can use a algae filter beside the system if you like to but it is not really necessary. Is the system a fresh system which needs to be cycled first ?

Live rock does bring some kind of biology to a system, alternatively you can use some kind of dry rocks which will massive exchange the cycle period of your system so more patience is necessary. Using some kind of dry filtration material will not change it so I would not recommend to add it additional.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thank you Alex. So i wont use the Algae Reactor.
      Yes the tank is going to be cycled in the next week. I am setting up the mechanism.

Regarding the rock, can i run the Zeovit system without live rock or dry rock in my system? Actually i hate those rocks.

Looking forward.

Comment

Basically, yes, but I don't recommend it. Zeovit is a bacteria-driven system. Bacteria need more implantation and time, and a good biology is really important for the coral environment. We should prepare well before the system starts. If any materials are added during the period, this will prolong the time a lot and may impact biology, especially if the animal system already exists. Maybe using some dry sand is a good choice

Comment

Originally posted by anhminh1007 View Post
          Regarding the rock, can i run the Zeovit system without live rock or dry rock in my system? Actually i hate those rocks.
          Just to be sure, you plan to setup a system without rocks / sand ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post

Just to be sure, you plan to setup a system without rocks / sand ?

G.Alexander
            I only use small volume of rock. It can not meet the volume of rock that KZ suggests in the instruction. My layout is bonsai style.

Comment

I would recommend adding some fresh and high-quality live rock to do so. If this is your way, then add some dry sand (shallow sand bed), the sand size should not be too small, this is also good. Make sure to soak the dry rock in pure water before using it, and change the water several times until no nutrients are detected.

Comment

Well I see, not ideal however if you have some patience for the cycle it should finally be OK if you use additional a shallow sand bed of aragonite to host bacteria. Please keep in mind that the cycle can take up to 6 – 8 month in this case. If you have a source for good quality live rock I would recommend to add a couple of pieces to the sump or to the main display system.

Here you can find a step by step guide for the cycle, steps are the same with dry rock but as mention the cycle will take additional time:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...803#post290803

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
                  Well I see, not ideal however if you have some patience for the cycle it should finally be OK if you use additional a shallow sand bed of aragonite to host bacteria. Please keep in mind that the cycle can take up to 6 – 8 month in this case. If you have a source for good quality live rock I would recommend to add a couple of pieces to the sump or to the main display system.

Here you can find a step by step guide for the cycle, steps are the same with dry rock but as mention the cycle will take additional time:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...803#post290803

G.Alexander
                  Hi Alex, I understand about the advantage of live rock. In my last tank (a cubic 40cm), i use live rock to cycle and it is a very fast process. However, the live rocks in Vietnam (my country) are super dirty with too many pests (bubble algae, vermetid snails, flat worms,... and a whole bunch of other snails, shrimps,...). So that it has more bad effect in my tank than the good effect. Therefore i cannot use live rocks anymore.
                  I decide that i will then add the dry rock in my sump to host the bacteria.
                  Thank you very much for your support, as well as Jacky. You are very nice.

Comment

Let me talk about some of my opinions and thoughts. I cannot say that I am right. Of course it depends on your choices and decisions. I have never heard of the use of live rock in a new tank that causes serious flatworm problems on corals. I think only unhealthy corals are more susceptible to infestation. Moreover, after you buy new corals, it is difficult for us to fully 100%. Make sure that no pests enter the tank. Some insects are good. They do their job without affecting the health of the coral, and they also provide biological support. As for the problem of algae, I personally will deal with it slightly. In a good low nutrient level, those are not a problem, nor will they be the cause of flooding. The extra idea is to use some old zeolite material for recycling, which is also good.

Comment

Instead of putting dry rock in your sump I would recommend to just keep some of the old ZeoVit material in the sump. The material will provide additional surface to host bacteria. For a 300 liter system 1.5 – 2 liter would be ideal, just place it on the bottom of the sump in conjunction with a shallow sand bed in the display system.

If you have a chance to get quality live rock add a couple of pieces additional.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thank you Alex and Jacky. I will try my best. Hope i will be success.

Comment

Here is my zeovit system. It seems simple when compare to another reef system.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, great sump. If you have a chance to get live rock, you can consider putting it in the leftmost area (if I understand it is correct). In addition, pay a little attention to the zeolite reactor and the skimmer. The outlet of the zeolite reactor should not be directly aligned with the inlet of the skimmer

Comment

Originally posted by jacky View Post
                              Thanks for sharing, great sump. If you have a chance to get live rock, you can consider putting it in the leftmost area (if I understand it is correct). In addition, pay a little attention to the zeolite reactor and the skimmer. The outlet of the zeolite reactor should not be directly aligned with the inlet of the skimmer
                              Thank you. I will update to you.

I already read your advice about inlet of skimmer and outlet of zeo reactor in another topic. I will arrange those equipments right.

Comment

Working...
                              X