Converting from Refugium-based Reefer 350 System to Zeovit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting from Refugium-based Reefer 350 System to Zeovit

After seeing how many Zeovit systems look compared to my reef tank (Red Sea Reefer 350, I thinking of switching my tank over to Zeovit. I have been having some issues with SPS corals as of late - should I wait until I get them straightened out, or would switching to Zeovit be a good way to straighten them out? Details below:

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 350 Liters
    (~ 92 US gallons)

2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 280 liters
    (~ 74 US gallons)

3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
    No

4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
    No

5. Are you using Ozone
    No

6. Are you using UV
    No

7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
    Red Sea RSK-300, rated for 75-225 gallons

8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
    0.1 ppm PO4, 8 PPM NO3

9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
    CA: 594 ppm
    Alk: 10.49 dKh
    Mag: 1349

10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
    MarinePure Spheres
    Refugium
    ChemiPure Blue

11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
    AquaticLife 48" Hybrid T5 (2x ATI Blue Plus, 1x ATI Purple Plus, 1x ATI Actinic)
    2x EcoTech Radion XR15 G4
    2x EcoTech Radion Xr15 G5 Pro
    I run a 10 hour photoperiod (on at noon, off at 10 PM)

12. What corals do you keep
    All types.

13. Tissue color (light or dark)
    Dark

14. How long has the tank been running
    15 months, plus most of the rocks came out of a system that was running for 4 years

15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
    I want a precise system that will ensure that my corals get enough nutrition to thrive and look beautiful without overfeeding and coating the tank in algae

16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
    No dosing at the moment

17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
    Two different types of rock:
    About 70 pounds of Marco rocks. 40 pounds of it was in an earlier system and has been wet for close to 5 years now, 30 pounds were added when I started this tank 15 months ago
    About 10 pounds of KP Aquatics live rock, been in the tank since October 2020.

18. Any present problems
    Several.

19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
    Water parameters: My alkalinity has been steadily rising without any supplemental dosing. There've been signs of it slowing down in the last couple of days, but for several months now it has risen by about 0.1 dKh per day without any dosing; only water changes have kept it from going out of control. Calcium has also remained high despite a lack of dosing.

Algae Problems: Light bryopsis has been popping up on my rocks over the last few months. Not enough to form choke out corals or justify fluconozale treatment, but it has been slowly spreading

Dinos: Brown, slimy dinos have started appearing in the tank over the past few weeks. As with the bryopsis, not enough to choke out other life, but present and threatening to take off.

Coral Death: When adding SPS corals to the tank, they will gradually begin to lose first coloration and then tissue, usually beginning at the tips. This progresses to ever-spreading patches of bare skeleton before the coral ultimately dies. From start to finish, the process has usually taken 4-6 weeks. Even among those that survive, I've had people remark that they look 'dry and starved'. This only occurs with SPS-type corals.

20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)

Nitrate: Red Sea Algae Master Pro Kit (less than 1 year old)
    Phosphate: Red Sea Algae Master Pro Kit (less than 1 year old), Hanna ULR Marine Checker
    Alkalinity: Neptune Apex Trident, Hanna Alkalinity Checker (replaced reagent less than 2 months ago)
    Calcium: Trident, Salifert (just opened 2-3 months ago)
    Magnesium: Trident, Aquaforest (just opened)
    Salinity: BRS Refractometer, Milwaukee Digital Refractometer

21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
    No dosing.

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
    Salinity: 1.025 - 1.026
    Temperature: Between 77 and 78 degrees
    PH: Usually a 0.2 swing from day to night, the daily high has fluctuated between 8.1 and 8.3.

23. Which salt brand do you use

Hit enter too soon... salt is Tropic Marin Pro

Comment

Hi ya Biokabe

Welcome.
      I joined in December transferring a 625reef over to the ZEOvit system.

I also had Bryopsis.
      I did half dose of fluconozale at the same time I started on this system. And before I joined this forum. Thought it would be good to deal with it at the start and enjoy the changes of the ZEOvit’s. It worked well ON my tank. Did not see any things negative.

Regards
      Nick

Comment

Welcome to ZeoVit.com !

I would recommend you to first get fixed the coral issues before starting with ZeoVit. The change will cause additional changes to your system which might stress your corals furthermore.

As you already mention the water parameters are not ideal, Ca and KH are both very high. Is there any kind of material in your system which might leach those elements like rocks / sand / filtration material ?

Please also cross check the salinity of your system with a different, accurate instrument.

Dinoflaggelate does release toxins to the water which can have a negative impact to corals also.

Can you please post a picture of your sump and your tank ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks!

As far as leaching goes, I can think of three potential sources... all three of the things that you mentioned (rocks/sand/filtration material) could be leaching into the water. Aragonite sand, Marco rocks, and Marine Pure spheres. Tentatively, after vacuuming out about a 1/3 of my sand bed (not removing the sand, just vacuuming up detritus), the alkalinity has started going back down, but that's only been a couple days - could just be a false signal.

I use two different devices to measure salinity (BRS analog refractometer, Milwaukee digital refractometer), and I calibrate the analog refractometer with some regularity. The fluctuation on the salinity is down to the sensitivity of my ATO - it will sometimes overcompensate for drops in water level, esp. if I turn on the skimmer after I turn on the ATO.

Pictures attached.

Comment

Thank you for the pictures, but I can not see much of a potential problem. There are some transparent hoses which not seem to be silicone, I would recommend to replace them as they can for example leach softeners. I would additional recommend to remove the MarinePure Spheres very slowly step by step over the next couple of month. Also try to adjust the water parameters especially KH and Ca are much to high and than try to keep them stabile. Aragonite does usually not leach much if it is a natural material. Those steps should have a positive impact to your corals. Once they started to get better you can slowly start using ZeoVit.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
            X