No announcement yet.

Third Time Is NOT The Charm: ZeoVit System Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I do not trust refractometers to much, I have seen so many wrong readings with them. If possible I would recommend to cross check salinity with a digital meter from a fried or your local fish store to make sure salinity is really just 35 %o which is OK.

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
      Personally I do not trust refractometers to much, I have seen so many wrong readings with them. If possible I would recommend to cross check salinity with a digital meter from a fried or your local fish store to make sure salinity is really just 35 %o which is OK.

G.Alexander
      I've had a lot of problems with multiple cheap ones you can find about anywhere. This is the one I've been using. It's expensive at $115 USD, however its very repeatable and consistent, on top of being very accurate. You hold it in your hands, and it feels heavy, solid construction. The optics are CRISP, the scale numbers are large and very easy to read.

https://www.veegee.com/collections/a...-refractometer

Comment

Confirmed that I have 45gph going through the reactor today, and also checked the salinity. Did a 5gallon water change. Nitrates are still very high 5+, and phosphates were 0.11ppm.

I feel like I need to get the nitrates lower.

Continue to have slow tissue loss on the tips of the corals. Most of it is focused on the tips. I have scaled back the Alkalinity dosing to bring me closer to 7.5 dkh.

Also ordered BioMate and Sponge Power. Should I stop dosing ZeoFood when I get Sponge Power?

Thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Kmtchll View Post
          Confirmed that I have 45gph going through the reactor today, and also checked the salinity. Did a 5gallon water change. Nitrates are still very high 5+, and phosphates were 0.11ppm.

I feel like I need to get the nitrates lower.

Continue to have slow tissue loss on the tips of the corals. Most of it is focused on the tips. I have scaled back the Alkalinity dosing to bring me closer to 7.5 dkh.

Also ordered BioMate and Sponge Power. Should I stop dosing ZeoFood when I get Sponge Power?

Thanks everyone
          Yep, I would stop ZeoFood. I think it’s easy to overdose. I had some similar symptoms you had. Bio-Mate and Sponge power definitely got my phosphates and nitrates down.

Also, I didn’t have to do a lot of large water changes to get to zero. Just let the bacteria do the work.

Comment

I personally use Salifert's test package for measurement, I think it's good. I have no experience in using your salt brand, but it seems that the salt brand has been well received. For the time being, regardless of other reasons, the coral tip is damaged. Change the water 3 times in 10 days to refresh the elements in a balanced way and reduce Coral stress.

Comment

A NO3 level of 5 mg is really not a issue and it will not have much impact to coral coloration. The level will come down over the time but at the moment there is nothing special I would recommend to bring it down. The PO4 level is more of a “problem”, BioMate can be helpful, dose 2 drops / 25 US gallons every other day for some time.

G.Alexander

Comment

Hey,

The ZEOvit flatworm stop would be good to grab also.
                Even though you might not have flatworm, if does help but strength in to coral.

all changes with Sps (all corals) should be done slow to prevent stress and or added stress. and so they can adjust to the changes.
                Lowering ur ALK from 9.5 to the 7.5 in the short time would might have added xtra stress.

Sps tips, maybe lower ur led intensity 10% or 15% for a week or two or if the coral can be moved down in tank.
                Might help.

regards
                nick b

Comment

Originally posted by NZ-Nick View Post
                  all changes with Sps (all corals) should be done slow to prevent stress and or added stress. and so they can adjust to the changes.
                  Lowering ur ALK from 9.5 to the 7.5 in the short time would might have added xtra stress.

Sps tips, maybe lower ur led intensity 10% or 15% for a week or two or if the coral can be moved down in tank.
                  Thanks for all of the inputs. Did the first of Jackie’s recommended water changes today. Did a good deep cleaning of the sump to remove any detritus. Will do another this weekend.

In terms of lowering Alk, I was going to let that happen naturally - IE by letting the corals consume the alkalinity to bring it down. Since I have a Neptune Trident that tests my Alk/cal/mag 4x times a day, I can make sure it happens over the course of a week.

The TN on the SPS currently is focused at the coral tips, and it is almost instantly covered in a diatom or hair algae because of the high nutrition levels in the water.

Finally, I removed the last fish from the system yesterday and put it into quarantine. At this point the tank is just coral, so I’m not adding food to the tank.

Comment

Therefore, regardless of whether there are other unknown factors, make sure that the salinity of the new seawater is correct, 10% each time, 3 times within 10 days. Balanced way, refreshing elements, doing this is really good for the moment

My learning experience is not very good, and there is a problem with the tip of the coral. I think of: bad carbon, too high Kh, too high magnesium level, and too high potassium level

However, if some of the bottoms of the coral in the picture are missing, it may be: insufficient Ca, Kh swing, insects, etc.

Some corals look dark, such as: toxins, stress, unbalanced elements, too many complex trace elements, etc.

Since there is no ICP service in my area, if I encounter such a problem, I will do this, starting from the salinity check and correct, maintaining the NSW level (including potassium) as much as possible, and paying close attention to the changes in phosphate. However, the pressure and damage of corals and the number of coral growth and high nutrients, coral growth is inhibited, and the natural consumption of elements is not much (we still have to pay close attention to element levels)

Maybe, if you have the opportunity, you can get a Salifert test kit (including potassium) for cross-comparison, which is also very interesting.

The NO3 level is not a serious problem, but the phosphate level is very high. Keep the above basic product plan, let us look at the follow-up development.

Regarding carbon, what brand do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by jacky View Post
                      Regarding carbon, what brand do you use?
                      I am using KZ brand carbon

Comment

Your choice is very good. Some unhealthy carbons do leach out nutrients, and some carbons erode coral tissues, and corals have no PE extension. Just want to confirm that carbon is good.

Comment

Did another water change today- 5 gallons. The algae in the tank has a red hairy texture. It’s very fine, almost a dark rust color. Tried to remove some but there’s tons on the rock. Will test NO3 and PO4 tomorrow. Should have the BioMate by Tuesday

Comment

How’s it.

pic of this algae ??

Comment

I can get a pic tomorrow. Tested water today... this tank defies everything I understand about reefing. There are no fish in the tank, no food going in, and my nitrates and phosphates aren’t budging. I am not dosing anything other than ZeoStart and ZeoBak. Have done two WCs. Ideas? The BioMate will arrive tomorrow.

Comment

I think there is still something in your tank which does cause trouble to the biology, this can be any kind of equipment, hoses, pipes etc. or the rocks itself, difficult to say. I was able to indicate anything from the pictures, there is some kind of a orange hose on the skimmer, might this be a problem ? Please check everything again and replace everything which is not PVC, Acrylic or silicone except pumps etc.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                                X