Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyano in 7 months old tank

Hi,

My tank has been running for 7 months now, now cyano has settled in for about 2 weeks. I’ve been trying cyano clean daily for almost 2 weeks, alos doing coral snow almost every day combined with zeobac.

I had a fish sick so I was overfeeding for probably 1 or 2 weeks, now everyone is out in quarantine.

1. Water volume approximately 150-170g.
    2. Using 2 part dosing for alk,cal, mg.
    3. No PO4 reactor
    4. No ozone
    5. No UV
    6. Skimmer is bubble king 180 rated for 200g
    7. PO4 is reading 0 and NO3 reading 0.2 with salifert.
    8. ALK: 8 CA:420 MG:1350
    9. Filtration is only zeovit reactor and filter socks.
    10. Using T5 and led combined around 15k, closer to 12k during the day
    11. SPS dominant tank, barely any lps
    12. Corals are light in color but seems to be getting a little darker and I’ve lost some blue on my tenuis.
    13. Tank has been running for 7 months or so.
    14. Using zeovit to have success and a beautiful sps tank.
    15. I have some dry rock and live rock for LFS, at least 150lbs
    16. The only current problem is cyano
    17. I use apex neptune trident (4 times a day) and salifert to confirm readings once a week
    18. Dosing Regimen:
    Zeobac twice a week, 6 drops each time
    Sponge power twice a week, 6 drops each time
    Biomate twice a week, 6 drops each time
    AA twice a week, 6 drops each time
    K Balance every other day 6ml each time
    B-Balance twice a week, 7.5 ml each time
    Pohl’s Xtra twice a week 7.5ml each time
    A Balance once every 10 days, 4ml
    Zeozym once a week, 1 spoon
    Coral Snow once a week 9-12ml.
    Zeostart: 1ml daily, split in 2 dosing
    Zeolite: 1.5litres with 150gph.
    Salinity: 35
    Salt brand: aquaforest

Am I overdosing something ? Or do I just keep going and siphon the cyano when I do water changes ?

Thank you.

In addition to reducing the feeding of fish, do you additionally treat the fish? (For example, what product to add for treatment)

Check whether the water used is good, usually resin material is used as the last channel of the filter to get better water. After deionization, TDS is 0, which is good.

Zeobac twice a week, 6 drops each time
    Sponge power twice a week, 6 drops each time
    Biomate twice a week, 6 drops each time
    (Every other day, 12 drops)
    AA twice a week, 6 drops each time
    (Temporarily stop adding)
    K Balance every other day 6ml each time
    (Skimmer model, let us check the potassium level again, if it is lower than the level, please be sure to slowly increase K+~380 mg)
    B-Balance twice a week, 7.5 ml each time
    Pohl’s Xtra twice a week 7.5ml each time
    A Balance once every 10 days, 4ml
    Zeozym once a week, 1 spoon
    Coral Snow once a week 9-12ml.
    (The mixture CoralSnow12ml+Zeo Bac6 drops, after mixing well, wait for 5 minutes, let us try another week, every day)
    Zeostart: 1ml daily, split in 2 dosing
    Zeolite: 1.5litres with 150gph.
    Salinity: 35
    7.PO4 is reading 0 ,(What test package do you use?)

Comment

Hi Jacky,

Potassium level were getting lower, it’s sitting right at 370-380 still. For the test packages it’s salifert. I’ll keep adding snow mix with bak then.
      Skimmer is bubble king mini 180 vs12.

Thank you.

Comment

Sorry forgot to mention, I took all fish out of the DT to treat them with CP, they will stay in a separate quarantine for a little while.

I haven't put any medication in the display tank.

Comment

Let us first make sure that the water is good, do you use resin material as the last channel of the filter?

Obtain a more sophisticated phosphate test kit so that you can have a clearer understanding of nutritional levels

12. The coral is lighter in color, but it seems to be darker, and my tenuis have lost some blue.
          (It's hard to tell the reason, the directions suggested above are all possible reasons. 1. The actual potassium level, 2. The phosphate level, 3. The water is replaced by 10% every week to refresh the elements)

An additional question, 1: Whether the hourly flow rate of the zeolite reactor is indeed 150gph. 2. What brand of activated carbon do you use

Comment

Yes I use resin on the last 2 chambers and my TDS meter reads 0.

I do bi weekly water changes of 20 gallons, I will get another test kit to confirm the results.

I can also double check my flow manually but I have the reactor piped with a flow meter from apex neptune.

The carbon is polyp lab.

Comment

It will be interesting to get a more sophisticated nutrient salt test kit. I always collect 30 seconds through the water outlet of the reactor, volume x120, to get the hourly flow, maybe you can try it. I have no experience with the carbon brand you use, and certain unhealthy carbons do leached nutrients. In addition to the quality of the water used, this may also be the cause of cyano.

Comment

Have you installed any kind of new equipment or filtration material in the last couple of weeks or any changes in the lighting spectrum ?

Is the whole system affected or just some areas ?

G.Alexander

Comment

I have only added a few more powerheads, no new filtration material, du to replace my carbon today and zeolit next week. I have also added 2 new LED bars to the system almost 2 months ago.

It’s mostly the sand but I do have a little on the liverocks, it doesn’t look that bad but I want to be sure it does not spread more.

Which phosphate test kit would you recommend ? Should I also get a new one for nitratres ? Could it be because I was overfeeding when I tried keeping the fish fat ?

I will also check manually the flow through the reactor when I get home today.

Thanks for help.

Comment

Can you tell which sand you have used exactly ? I would also try to temporary switch off the new LED bars for one week to see if that makes any difference.

I would recommend you a photometer for PO4 or a high sensitive test kit like the Machery Nagel or the Merck, for NO3 usually the standard NO3 test kits from the hobby manufacturers are accurate enough.

Do you feed nori algae to your fish also, which kind of food do you use ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Yes I feed nori, frozen mysis, frozen brine, algae pellets, vitalis pellets.

Not sure about the sand but it was dry sand and I cleaned it before, it looks like carib sea pink sand.

Comment

Just wanted to make sure it is not live sand.

Some kind of fish food can contain a lot of Iodine like Nori algae which does improve the growth of cyanos if they are there. Lets try to feed just frozen food temporary for a week or so to see if that does reduce the stuff.

Lets temporary stop dosing AminoAcid, B-Balance and Xtra also.

G.Alexander

Comment

G. I have a question. Why temporarily stop adding B-Balance

Comment

I also have cyano clean, I've been dosing 12 drops a day, should I do more ? is it normal it smells off ?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by jacky View Post
                              G. I have a question. Why temporarily stop adding B-Balance
                              Hello Jacky, we do all not know the ingredients of the products so not sure if this does have a impact to the cyanos but as precaution while the treatment I would stop dosing all “coloration elements”.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                              X