No announcement yet.

New Tank want to make sure I start correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there are algae problems and cyano problems, it is good to stop Zeo Food. Gfo and ultraviolet germicidal lamps seem to contradict the ZeoVit system. ZeoVit is a bacteria-driven system, which may produce biological changes and may cause coral TN

Comment

Here you can find the official recommendation of the manufacturer for the 14 day cycle and ZeoFood is not a part of it:

https://www.korallen-zucht.de/pages-...t-14-days.html

I would recommend to use ZeoFood later once the system is running nutrient poor like recommended.

G.Alexander

Comment

Should I have my skimmer running during the cycle? I feel as if it may be removing some of the Zeo products.

Attached Files

Comment

Crap! I was just checking my dosing regiment and noticed I’ve been doubling the dose of Zeo start since I started the tank 7 days ago, was doing .6 ml twice a day instead of .3ml twice per day

Could this be a major contributing factor to my bacterial bloom? If so should I stop dosing start for a few days? My total net tank volume is 80 gallons.

Comment

After the high first initial dosage you can switch off the skimmer for 2 hours or so otherwise you can keep it running if you do not dose in front of the skimmer directly.

The high dosage of ZeoStart should not cause issues, just change the dosage now to the recommended quantity.

G.Alexander

Comment

This bacterial bloom is not getting any better, would coral snow or any other additive help clear this up faster? I have fish coming at the end of this month and don’t want to introduce them to this mess.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ReefDuke View Post
                This is my second zeo tank and this time around I can see so many mistakes that I made on my 1st tank that led to Dino’s, hair algae cyano which ultimately made me break the system down. One of those mistakes being that I was dosing zeofood every day as like PJewell said the starter packs come with Zeofood not sponge power.

yep! I caught that, and my flow through the reactor wasn’t right which both is why my nutrients were not coming down. Things are going a lot better.

I’ve been out of reefing for almost 12 years before I started this tank again. I’ve made mistakes, but this is practice for my larger future system.

i am enjoying the new tank threads!

Comment

I actually wrote to BRS to tell them this and here is there response hopefully this changes and helps new Zeo heads in the future.
                  Mark (BulkReefSupply)

Feb 2, 2021, 16:30 CST

Hey James,
                  Thanks for bring this to our attention! We went ahead and sent in a Marketing Ticket to update the product page. Happy Reefing!

Mark

Comment

The cloudiness is massive, when has the water started to become so milky ?

I would also recommend you to be careful adding fish even in the end of the month. The system does not contain live rock so the biology is not very strong and if you add to many fish at this stage you might experience a uncontrolled increase of nutrients.

G.Alexander

Comment

The cloudiness started I believe soon as I added the water from the 5 gallon bucket I was using to seed my rock prior to my tank arriving. I had my rocks sitting in saltwater with dr tims live bacteria and ammonia for about 2 months prior to adding it to my tank.

Today I completed the 14 day cycle and it’s still just as cloudy, I’m temporarily stopping dosing Zeo start and my UV sterilizer will arrive tomorrow to help clear this up.

Comment

The UV should usually help, let it run for a couple of days and switch if off for 2 hours while you dose the products.

G.Alexander

Comment

Uv ran for about 3 days and made a good impact I decided to turn the UV off for now to continue dosing start and bak however I just got a bottle of coral snow and want to try it out. Should the coral snow help clarify the water?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by ReefDuke; 02-12-2021, 07:50 PM.

Comment

It does clear the water after once it is skimmed out. The cloudiness is just temporary. Make sure to shake the bottle before dosing.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                            X