Help with New Reef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with New Reef

I am setting up a new SPS reef tank. I initially cycled it with Dr. Tims and have zero Ammonia and Nitrites. Nitrates are at 20 ppm. I have not tested for Phosphate yet and would welcome a recommendation for the best test kit for PO4. I have decided to use the Zeovit system and have an Aquamaxx reactor with 1 liter of zeolite that I installed today. I have 2 clown fish, 1 six line wrasse and a small blenny from my old tank in the new system. My question is how I should I proceed with dosing for a Zeovit system. Should I treat it as a new tank, existing tank or something in between. The tank has been running for 6 weeks.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons 139
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons 110
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique No
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) No
    5. Are you using Ozone No
    6. Are you using UV No
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) Reef Octopus Regal 150SSS, Heavy Bioload - 100 gallons, Medium Bioload 160, light 210 gallons
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels PO4 - ? dont have test kit yet, NO3 - 20
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels 440, 7, 1300
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) Zeovit reactor,
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) 4 bulb T5 and will add Kessil LED later
    12. What corals do you keep None yet
    13. Tissue color (light or dark) N/A
    14. How long has the tank been running 6 weeks
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system To grow SPS corals and limit hair algae problems with past tanks
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) None
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) 100 lbs new manmade rock
    18. Any present problems none
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) none
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Need to buy new test kit, current 3 yr old red sea
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) None
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) pH - 8.00, salinity - 35ppm, temp - 78
    23. Which salt brand do you use Tropic Marin Pro Reef

Welcome to ZeoVit.com !

Not really optimal that the system does contain fish already as you can not use the high initial dosage which is usually recommended to cycle a fresh system. The ZeoVit quantity you use is correct, make sure to have a flow of ~ 100 US gallons per hour through the reactor.

Otherwise I would recommend you to continue as follows:

Place 0.4 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

Dose 12 drops ZeoBa
    c daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 – 3 x weekly dosage of 4 drops each. Dose 0.8 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening) for one week, than reduce the dosage to 0.4 ml 2 x daily. Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on.

Additional dose 12 drops SpongePower daily for 2 weeks, than reduce the dosage to 4 drops every other day.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 – 10 % with a good salt.

Basic water parameters looking good, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
    Ca 400 – 420 mg
    Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
    K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

Many use digital Hanna checkers or photometers for the PO4 level, they are not to expensive and give relative exact readings while the low concentrations.

At the moment I would not add additional fish or corals. If you experience algae growth you can not add some herbivore like snails to keep them under control.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
    X