Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NZ-Nick starting Zeovit

Seasons Greetings all,

September i received a warranty replacement tank and have decided to transfer over to the Zeovit system.
    The coral fish and rock in a Lounge pond for 3 months, then all transferred, with new sand - no losses - only colour and
    some algae.
    Its time now join this forum and seek advice on how to proceed with Zeovite
    I have listed "Z " i have atm

All advice and recommendation are welcome

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 625 liters
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 500 liters
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique No
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) Removed slowly 4 weeks ago ending
    5. Are you using Ozone No
    6. Are you using UV No
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) Bubble King DC180
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels NO3 5 PO4 0.08
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels Ca 440, ALK 8.5 MG1400
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) Filter socks, Skimmer
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) PacificSun T5x8, ATI BP x4, CP x1, Actinic x2, ZK New Gen x1 (july 2020 all new)
    12. What corals do you keep 12 SPS, Candy caines, Hammer, mushrooms, Bubble coral, zoe's, Goniporas
    13. Tissue color (light or dark) SPS mixed- 50/50
    14. How long has the tank been running progressed over 12 years
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system Bacter driven system and control,
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) Easyreef sps evo-food-on doser, empty
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) 30-40kg, most of it is less that 5 years old
    18. Any present problems Always something darken sps, slow growth with all corals
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) Sept- replacement tank warranty, new sand and transfer,
    went through brown algae over glass and sand, green algae over sand and glass, to some form of algae over sand, present.

RODI-5stage all changed out oct
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Hanna PO4- Salifert AK,CA,MG,Pos- November 2020
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
    1xbag Zeovit-130 lph flow-2 weeks
    bak 4 drops- every day
    start 0.03 twice day
    sponge 4 drops- second day

I have
    Food plus
    Coral Vit
    Acro Glow
    Flatworm (heard good things)
    Coralsnow Plus
    A-Balance
    Bio-mate

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)1.026, (temp been bumped up to 28-9C due to the alage one sand-(out competing)
    Tank sits at 26c

23. Which salt brand do you use Redsea blue, or Hiker Ocean

Hello Nick and welcome to ZeoVit.com
    I would recommend you to continue as follows:

1. Increase the ZeoVit quantity to 1.2 liters and fill the zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 500 liters per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.5 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Continue dosing 5 drops ZeoBac 2 – 3 x weekly. Dose 0.5 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on. Additional dose 5 drops SpongePower every other day. As you also have CoralSnow Plus already dose it @ 5 ml 2 – 3 x weekly. The other products can be used later. If PO4 does not come down in the next couple of weeks you can add 10 drops BioMater every other day to your dosing regimen for 2 weeks, than reduce the dosage to 2 x weekly.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 – 10 % with a good salt.

Do not remove the PO4 absorber to quick, otherwise you might experience a increase of PO4. Lets remove the rest slowly step by step over the next 6 weeks or so.

Lets stop dosing the additional coral food at the moment, you can use it later if necessary if the system runs nutrient poor stabile.

Basic water parameters except KH looking good, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
    Ca 400 – 420 mg
    Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
    K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander

Comment

Merry Christmas All,

Thanks G.Alexander,

I removed all the PO4 long before starting the Zeovit system,

As the tank was 0 phos on hanna tests and was adding phos into the tank,
      even tho having Algae on the glass and here and there.

Yes, I have had my reactor on 3hr off 3hr,
      1000ml Zeovit @ 130l hr flow,

I have increased the flow to 350lph flow,
      and will continue to increase it slowly to 500lhp

( Observation, at the time of increased flow one gonipora has closed up, every thing else is good, I do not think this has anything to do with flow increase it just a coincidence )

Q1- is it still visible to add the extra zeovit to the reactor as i am at week 3 with whats in the reactor,
      or at the 4 week change out ?

Q2- Do you measure the Zeovit by volume or weight ??
      -I measured one bag (1000ml) in a 5 liter and a 2 liter jug and both measure 1200 ml

Yes i have a K+ test kit, sorry missed it before

NO3 = 5
      Pho = 0.07
      Kh = 8.3
      Ca = 440
      Mg = 1470
      K+ = 400

Dosing

Zeo Start 0.5 ml (0.25 morning 0.25 night)
      Bac 5 drops, Mon, Wed, Fri
      Sponge 5 drops Tue, Thu, Sat
      Coral Snow Plus dosed once one Wed only so far

Q3 - how important is it to dose Zeostart into the reactor (on) ?
      Im assuming if i dose close too the pump it will flow straight into the return section and not into the reactor, therefor should dose into return section ??

Tank update.....All looking good, Softies and Lsp look fuller and tad more brighter, Sps The same, Slight tip growth, very slight lighting up in darker ones,
      Otherwise all good.

Merry Xmas all,
      Keep safe and healthy

Regards
      Nick

Comment

Merry Christmas Nick 🎅

Lets increase the ZeoVit quantity at the first exchange, there is no need to do it now.

It is better to measure the material by volume as the weight can differ as it is a natural material.

Water parameters are perfect, lets just decrease the KH a little bit slowly, 7.5 would be ideal.

You can dose ZeoStart in the front of the ZeoVit reactor pump, this is optional so basically dosing it anywhere behind the skimmer works well.

G.Alexander

Comment

Seasons Greeting to all,

Hoping everyone had a Merry Xmas and happy New Year

Thanks G.Alexander

I did my first Zeovit exchange,
          I noticed the water wasn't as clear and it was time to exchange......is this general a sigh to exchange zeovit ??

water flow @500lph 3hr and off
          Left 10 % old zeovit and added a new 1000l bag

Q1- how does one know if your used too much or too little
          (does every one divide each bag into 4 even portions?)

Q2- pfd says to dose Bac for 10-14 days and also food- which i haven't dosed at all yet

Q3- reading the bottle of Balance A initial dose 50ml/100l-this dose is only if you have a problem ??
          (just curious)

Hey, every thing seems to be going well
          Have a little bit of hair algae pop up here and there, nothing to get excited about expected,
          Now and then, Glass alage,
          SPS's a few showing colour, few colour but dull

Water changed 29/12/2020
          No3=5
          Pho=0.10
          Kh=8.3
          Ca=460
          Mg=1500
          K+=390
          Salt was some left over salt which was a bit higher than normal

Today
          No3=5
          Pho=0.05
          Kh=8
          Ca=450
          Mg=1410
          K=360 I have dosed to bring it back up

Q4-Sponge power- Does this contain silica ??

Reason- I think i have Dinos on my sand, and have read that people have had success with inducing diatom to the system by dose silica.
          I read that some increase tank temp for a period of time, which i tried BEFORE STARTING Zeovit,
          But it did not work for my tank.

Anyway, ATM everything coral going well.
          The fish (tangs) picking at the sand, which if i do have Dinos is a bit strange.
          Sit n wait, read a bit more and see what happens to it before doing anything

Regards
          Nick B

Comment

Hello Nick,

the exchange of the product is linked to the nutrient concentration in the system and to coral coloration so water clarity is not a typical sign. The first ZeoVit exchange is usually done if the first 4 weeks have passed, further exchanges are done in a 6 – 8 week interval. After each exchange dose ZeoBac daily for 10 days, also always leave about 10 % of the old material in the reactor and add 90 % fresh material.

In your case I would just replace one bag each time while keeping about 20% of the old material, this will make it easier for you and should work well.

If your corals are doing well and if everything else is fine you can switch your ZeoVit reactor to continuous flow in about 2 weeks.

ZeoFood can be used later once the system runs solid and corals are doing well to fine tune coloration. I have personally never dosed it daily after the exchange, just added it 2 x weekly @ 1 drop / 100 liters.

A-Balance is used as a cyano treatment so if you do not have cyanos the initial dosage is not necessary. If you like to you can dose it once per week or every 10 days to prevent cyanos.

I do not know the ingredients of the products but I do not expect SpongePower does contain silicate. If you like to you can stop dosing the product for one week to see if it does make a difference.

G.Alexander

Comment

Hi ya G.Alexander,

Ok, I did add the zeovit at the being of Dec, joined the forum mid Dec, as wasn't sure if i was adding too much, not enough etc.....and taking away the temptation of adding products for for the sake of it.

Ok...water clarity, must of been just a coincidence,
              I'll pay special attention in 6-8 weeks mark.

Yes, i measured out about 300 ml of the old zeovit and added a full new bag,
              Day later rechecked the water flow 510 LPH - 3hr on and off

Dosing

Start 0.25ml x 2 day
              Bac 1 x 5 drops day- for ten day (2-3 times per week there after)
              CoralSnowplus - 5ml x 2 Per week

Q1- do i still dose SpongePower ?? As before was doseing bac and sponge power alt days ??
              and or anything else at this point ??

Q2 - Carbon is near reactor outlet, is this a good place,
              is it better after the skimmer, or before reactor or before skimmer, or before filter sock......or doesn't really matter
              (maybe a silly question sorry but little things might make a big difference)

Q3 - how often do people change there filter socks or wool etc,

Tanks ok....no change
              Doped the light fixture down a lttle last week.
              Gave the rocks a little scub with a tooth bush.
              Got this reddy,brown algae in a few place that has started to show its self,
              Vert short, moss like, and very very hard to scub off with tooth brush,
              Blends in with coralline aglae (not worried about this at this stage)
              Note- rock has lacked coralline aglae last few years
              Getting more glass algae, But thats all good, easy wipe off

Water change this weekend,
              And will post tanks stage (tests ak,ca, etc)

Regards
              Nick B

Comment

Hello Nick, SpongePower had a positive side effect to the biology so my recommendation is to furthermore use it regular at 5 drops 2 – 3 x weekly. Your ZeoStart dosage is lower than recommended, as long as you are pleased with the PO4 level you can continue with the lower dosage otherwise increase it to 0.5 ml 2 x daily.

The place for the carbon is OK, you can keep it there.

Cleaning / replacing mechanical filtration material regular is important if this can not be done regular it is better to run the system without. Personally I have used a filter bag in the sump at the sump inlet so all water from the sump has passed it first. I gave cleaned the bag every other day completely this is what I recommend for all kind of mechanical filtration material.

G.Alexander

Comment

Hi ya.

zeostart dosing 0.25ml morning 0.25ml evening

do you recommend 0.5ml morning 0.5ml evening

I will start dosing spongepower again

regards
                  Nick b

Comment

Lets try to dose 0.35 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily for the next 2 weeks, if all goes well you can increase it to 0.5 ml 2 x daily in the next step.

G.Alexander

Comment

Morning,

Thats sound like a plan

Regards
                      Nick

Comment

Working...
                      X