High Nitrate and Phosphate help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Nitrate and Phosphate help

Hello I just recently started using the Zeovit System again after stopping about a year back. I started about 2 months ago and I’ve been using Zeolites, ZEObak, ZEOstart, and ZEOfood Plus.
    I’ve always wondered regarding my dosing and where the appropriate place to dose ZEObak and ZEOstart is (near reactor or in the display area)?

I’ve also been having issues with Nitrates and Phosphates and have not been able to bring them down. I’ve been considering changing out my sand bed as I’m currently using Bahama Oolite and I will be switching to Special Grade Arag-Alive.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.)
    - 90 Gallons
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.)
    - 75 Gallons
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
    - No
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
    - No
    5. Are you using Ozone
    - No
    6. Are you using UV
    - No
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
    - Bubble Magus Curve 5
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
    - PO4 = 2ppm and NO3 = ~60
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
    - Ca = 360, Alk = 9.1, Mg = 1190
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
    - None
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
    - 4 yr old Kessil a160we
    12. What corals do you keep
    - just added corals. Currently I have a mushroom and a firework clove polyp
    13. Tissue color (light or dark)
    - Light
    14. How long has the tank been running
    - 5 years
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
    - To keep a stable and low nutrient tank. I also enjoy the colors that corals get.
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
    - None
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
    - Approx. 60 pounds and 5 years old
    18. Any present problems
    - High nitrates and Phosphate
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
    - None
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
    - Hannah Phosphorous, Hannah Alkalinity, Nyos Nitrate test, RedSea Marine Tests
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
    - ZEObak = 5 Drops 3x Week, ZEOfood = 3 Drops 3x Week, ZEOstart .8ml Daily
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
    - Salinity = 1.024
    23. Which salt brand do you use
    - Tropic Marin
    Last edited by isavie; 11-11-2020, 05:53 PM.

Those nutrient levels are indeed very high, can you tell us if you had those high levels before starting ZeoVit again on this system ?

Please also post how much ZeoVit you have running in your reactor and what exactly the reactor flow is (measured).

G.Alexander

Comment

Hello thanks for the reply,
      yes prior to running zeovit, I had my nitrates tested at a LFS and was told that they were up in the 90’s. They recommended I start doing water changes and dosing vodka. After about a month and 3 50% water changes, my nitrates kept at the same area so I decided to go the zeovit route.
      im currently running the Skimz Zar127 so it’s a bit hard to measure exact flow since it comes out of all areas. I am using about .8 liters of zeolites.

Comment

Thank you for the additional details. ZeoVit does need some time before it is effective processing nutrients as it is a bacterial driven system however for the actual nutrient concentrations in your system it will be a long process.

It seems that there are PO4 depots in your system already which need to be processed first. To speed up this process I would partial replace the sand and some rocks if possible. The alcohol addition you have used before has bound PO4 already and while you have stopped to dose some of the PO4 gets released back to the system. The alcohol does nourish different bacteria strains than ZeoStart.

You can additional try to dose CoralSnowPlus @ 3ml every other day for some time. Dose the rest of the other products like follows:

ZeoBac – 3 drops 3 x weekly
        ZeoStart – 0.3 ml 2 x daily (morning / evening) so total 0.6 ml per day
        ZeoFood – skip dosing it at the moment until nutrients start to decrease

Also adjust your skimmer to skim wet and clean it daily or every other day to export as much as possible.

Do a weekly water change of 15% and vacuum the sand regular while doing this to remove the sediments from the deeper sand layers.

If possible please post a picture of your display system and the sump.

I would also recommend you to get a K+ (potassium) test kit, the level should be ~ 380 mg.

Run 0.75 liters ZeoVit in your reactor, water flow ~ 80 US gallons per hour. Replace 90% of the material every 6 weeks.

Additional use 0.3 liters activated carbon (korallenzucht) passively flown in the sump. Replace the carbon every 4 weeks.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
        X