New Fede Zeo tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Fede Zeo tank

Good morning guys, thank you for having accepted me in your community.
    in a few weeks I am planning to upgrade my actual estabilished tank (1y old).
    the actual one is a cube 70x70x60 for a gross volume of nearly 300lt.
    the new tank will be a 180x80x60 whit a gross volume of 860lt + 380lt gross sump of which 130lt will be a refugium for zoo breeding.
    Here some infos about the equip I’ll be using:

Skimmer: Ultrareef Typhoon UKD 200
    Calcium reactor: UCS 180
    illumination: 3 Ati straton
    return pump: Hydor seltz 12k
    equipment line pump: Jebao DCP 5k
    movement: 2 maxpect gyre fx350 (20k lt/h each)+2 rossmont mover mx 13400 for a total of 66800lt/h.

It will be a BB tank whit 2 cm of sand from Caribsea.
    regarding the rocks, I’ll have 55kg of live rocks from my actual tank and other 60kg of dry rocks always from carib sea.

The transfer from the old one to the new one will be done in one day unfortunately because I won’t be able to run two separate tanks in the same time for both space, time and equipment which have to be transferred to the new tank.

Guys tell me If You need other infos that I’ve missed.

here are some questions:

I read infos about the zeovit system and I have the first doubt: Do I need to start like a newly estabilished tank? Or as an already running tank?

Do You think that it is better to start the new tank whitout zeovit implementing it as soon as the tank will be in balance?

I’m new in this method, which kind of difficulties are likey to be encountered? Especially at the beginning

speaking about zeo reactor, are there any reliable automatic reactor?

let’s start from this, then I’m quite sure more questions will come.
    thanks for the help!

this is my actual one year old tank, hope You like it!

​​​​​​​

Welcome to Zeovit.com !

It is always high risk to upgrade a system within one day with a bigger volume and more / fresh rocks. It is more save to first cycle the new system for 4 – 6 weeks before transferring over the animals but it looks like this is not a option for you.

Not sure which kind of sand you plan to use but keep in mind that live sand does not work well in most systems in combination with ZeoVit so dry sand is the better alternative.

Running ZeoVit from the beginning at the new system will not cause any kind of negative impact so it you plan to use the system I would recommend to start from the beginning but you can not use the 14 day cycling method as you already have animals in the system.

Can you tell us the total net water volume of the new system to calculate a dosing recommendation ?

Also make sure to soak the dry rocks you plan to use very well in RO water before using them in the new system.

Because of a automatic reactor I can not give you a recommendation as I always used manual reactors. Please take a look at the reactor forum, some of our members have posted their experiences with automatic reactors there.

G.Alexander

Comment

Hi alexander, thank You for Your reply, that was really helpfull.
      first of all, the Entire system volume whitout taking in to account the volume of the rocks is 940lts.
      since I’ll have nearly 110kgs of rocks I would say that we can have a total ammount of 800lts of water roughly.
      does it make sense for You?.

regarding the sand, thats copied, I’ll use dry sand then!
      always speaking about the rocks it is already 20 days that I’m cycling half of the dry rocks (which had actually bacterias on their surfaces) at least I’ll have nearly 80kgs of rocks which are not completely dry and I think it will help somehow whit the transfer.

I’ll most probably start whit the zeovit program since the beginning if You suggest so.
      could You please indicate me which kind of variations In terms of products and dosing ammounts?

Comment

On the new system with a net water volume of 800 liters I would recommend to start as follows:

1. Place 2 liters zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 800 liters per hour continuous flow. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out 50%. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.8 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 16 drops ZeoBa
        c daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 – 3 x weekly dosage of 8 drops. Dose 0.8 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on. Additional dose 16 drops Sponge Power daily for the first two weeks, followed by 8 drops every other day. Also dose 16 ml CoralSnow every other day for the first 2 weeks.

At the first day directly after the transfer dose once:

32 drops ZeoBac
        1.8 ml ZeoStart once in the morning and once in the evening
        32 drops SpongePower
        32 ml CoralSnow

Make sure to clean the rocks from your old system in some tank water to remove the sediments, also do not transfer to much sand from the old system, just a couple of hands which is cleaned in some tank water before. Transfer as much water as possible from the old system as long as it clear.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 – 10 % with a good salt.

Basic water parameters should be kept as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
        Ca 400 – 420 mg
        Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
        K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks alexander,

i just have some questions:
          do i need to put the outflow of the zeo reactor next to the skimmer intake? I read it somewhere but I wanted to be sure about it.

are there any kz components which can be dosed whit a good dosing pump?

thank you very much for Your help

Comment

When you clean the material sediment is released which is a excellent food source for corals so it is the best to have the reactor behind the skimmer. Usually you can dose most of the products with a automatic dosing system, as long as they are dosed in higher quantities and neither need to be shaken before dosing or been stored in the fridge.

G.Alexander

Comment

Perfect thank You very much! I’ll keep You updated!

Comment

Working...
              X