Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 months of running zeo and stil 5-10 nitrate....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 months of running zeo and stil 5-10 nitrate....

Hi,

I have been running zeovit for about 6 months now but I still have 5-10 nitrate..
    I was wondering how mutch impact the shaking of the zeo stones is on No3 reduction performance?

I use the Skimz zar 127 reactor witch auto flush the stones every hour for 40 seconds but only the upper stones tuble a bit and the rest just get lifted 1-5mm..
    When the reactor flushes it uses 4000lph and on normal operation 340lph with 750ml of stones.

Or am I just feeding to mutch with 1x cube of frozen food and 1x Hikari pellet food each day..
    ​​​​​​

How big is the tank and what livestock do you have? How old is the tank.
    were your nitrates ever higher

Comment

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - 350 liter
      2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - 300 liter
      3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique no
      4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) no
      5. Are you using Ozone no
      6. Are you using UV no
      7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) deltec sc 1351 - 350-600 liter
      8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels Po4 0,00-0.02 No3 5-10
      9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels ca 450 Alk 7,8 mg 1410
      10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) Skimmer, filter roller, carbon in bag, zeovit in auto reactor.
      11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) 2x Hydra 26 hd saxby 2x t5 39w blue plus 2x t5 24w coral plus
      12. What corals do you keep lps sps including across (still frags)

13. Tissue color (light or dark) dark I think
      14. How long has the tank been running 13 months
      15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system a good stable system with good growth and collor
      16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) Triton other methods
      17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) 25 kg aquaforest synthetic rock 13 months old
      18. Any present problems. elevated No3 and some across having a bad time although I'm pretty new to acro so there could be another reason/s.
      19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) some acropora are losing tissue...
      20. Test sets) No3 red sea pro and salifert, Po4 hanna, alk Hanna, mg aquaforest, CA red sea pro, salinity dd refractometer.
      21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
      zeolite 750ml, bak 3x 3 drops a week, start 2x 0,2ml day, cv 2x 3 drop week, aahc 2x 3 drop week, cyano clean 3x drop and coral snow 6ml 1x week, zym 1x 1/5 teaspoon week.
      I did an Triton icp 3 weeks ago and every thing was green except iodine at 13ug/l and barium at 108.. but Randy Holmes-Farley said it was assumeble that a digid was misplaced so barium would be 10.8 than.. (read that in another topic about high barium on reef2reef)
      ​​​​​​
      22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) salinity 35 ppm temp 25. 5C
      23. Which salt brand do you use tropic marine pro.

My nitrates have been lower.. around 2.5 but 2 months ago I noticed the zeostart was not being dosed for a while so back than a raise in No3 to 5 was to be expected.
      Nitrates never have been under 1 befor I switched to zeo when used nopox and rowaphos for 1.5 months.

I got 1x yellow tang (12 cm)
      2x occelaris
      1x salarias
      3x chromis
      1x gramma
      1x coris wrasse
      3x elegance hermid
      10x red leg hermid
      3x peppermint shrimp (or atleast one as far I can see)
      And a giant army of turbo, nassarius and trochus snails (probably 15x 3cm+ and 500 smaller ones.

Im planning to put more fish in later like a mandarin and a dwarf angle.

​​​​

Comment

Stocking and feeding doesn’t appear to be an issue. I don’t think you need amino acids but they wouldn’t make the nitrates high.

have you tried cleaning the sand with water changes for a few weeks.

have you tried reducing the zeostart dose for a few weeks?

Comment

I don't have any sand so that's not it.

I did not reduced the zeostart no..
          But isnt that the carbon source witch let bacteria grow and consume no3?

Comment

I would not say that a NO3 level of 5 – 10 mg is a issues, the impact to corals is minimal. You mention that you dose Triton elements additional, what exactly are the elements you use ?

Also the Ca and Mg level are both to high, I would recommend to let them drops slowly to the following levels:

Ca ~ 400 mg
            Ca ~ 1250 – 1300 mg

Are your corals show growth ?

The zeovit material seems also not be the ideal cleaning process. I would recommend to additional tumble the rocks once or twice daily manually.

Can you please additional post a picture of your sump and a couple of corals ?

G.Alexander

Comment

The triton elements I dose are the 'Other methode' elements so kh CA mag and trace elements but without the extra algae elements the normal Triton elements have.

The zeovit reactor use is making it impossible (I have to shake the entire body including pump) as it is a very tight fit between the baffles..
              That was the biggest reason I went with this reactor.
              (got 14.5cm).

On the photo of the sump there is a extra container plumbed to the sump to make an refugium for pods and ph benefits.
              There is no macro algae it it yet.

On the photo of the corals I have set the right hydra on a custom photo setting to make it a bit better to see with the camera as I do not have a filter lens.

At the base of the green millepora on the left a piece of the tissue is gone (visseble by looking at the clean shape on the frag plug).
              The acropora nebula (purple with green polyps) has some white spots at the base.
              The corals where both encrusting.
              The table acro on the back still grows.
              The green slimmer is in the tank for about 7 months and not doing very mutch except encrusting a bit an growing for maby 1-0.5cm.
              The other corals are doing fine.

Comment

I just cleaned the Glas for photo so not 100% clear and the fish are hiding.

Comment

The last corals were introduced in the first week of August so I don't think the corals have pests becous the tissue damage just started 2 weeks ago.

Was just thinking that maybe the peppermint shrimps could do this?
                  Becouse a part of the tissue of the milepora is not beached or dead but just gone...
                  I just got the shrimps 2/3 weeks ago.. so thats about the same time as the acro damage..
                  The shrimps did eat the few aptasia I had in 3 days after introduction..

Comment

Thank you for the pictures, is this some kind of a DSB in the sump ?

As long as you are pleased with the corals coloration and growth you can continue to use the Triton elements additional however they are not necessary and the nutrient poorer your system is running corals tissue will get darken.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                    X