Question about trace elements in balling salts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about trace elements in balling salts

I read in another thread here that the trace elements found in balling salts is not preferred as it will darken coral tissue.

my understanding of this approach, particularly for Fauna Marin, is that they help to maintain the element balance in the water due to the addition of sodium and chloride in the balking salts.

The trace elements are not to supplement the tank but to maintain balance. Is this counter productive to the Zeovit method?

Not sure if I understand your questions correct but the nutrient poorer a system is the more sensitive corals are to elevated concentrations of trace elements. It would be the best to have their concentration close to natural seawater from my experience.

If a trace element solution is used you can never be sure if all the elements are consumed linear so over the time elements might accumulate which is counterproductive to a nutrient poor system, result is darker coral tissue.

G.Alexander

Comment

I understand your comments. Perhaps I did not explain well.

the trace elements in some balling solution are not present to supplement the tank, they are present to balance the extra sodium chloride being added through the balling salts. An example of this is the balling classic sodium free salt.

my question is, does addition if the sodium free salt cause any issues. My expectation would be no as we are simply balancing the sea water composition rather than adding more trace elements but I am not sure.

Comment

As much as I know the NaCl free salts which are used for the balling method are enriched with trace elements.

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
          As much as I know the NaCl free salts which are used for the balling method are enriched with trace elements.

G.Alexander
          Will this cause a problem with the Zeovit method?

Comment

If yo left out the NaCl free salt no, the regular water changes are able to balance it. If you use it it will not harm the corals directly, it will just darken the tissue of the corals even if nutrient concentrations are solid low. I am personally a fan of using a CaCO2 reactor to supplement KH and Ca.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thank you, I understand now.
              i have too little space for a calcium reactor unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
              X