No announcement yet.

Starting my new tank: Red Sea Reefer 200 XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water parameters tested yesterday (no major movement from the previous week)

Alk: 7.6 dKH
    Salinity: 34ppt
    Nitrate: <2mg/l
    PO4: Undetectable
    Mg: 1470
    Ca: 500
    Potassium: 400

Still struggling to tune the skimmer. It either overflows or does not skim at all. Over the past few days, the skimmer cup overflowed which impacted the water level in the return pump chamber. This caused about 4 liters of RO top up water to be released and this dropped the salinity by about 2-3 ppt. 😫 The salinity has now been corrected again, but I need to find a solution to the skimmer problem.
    Starting to think about getting the smaller Red Sea RSK300 skimmer as I suspect that my current Red Sea RSK600 is too big for the tank and causes some issues with airflow control. This could be why I'm struggling to set the skimmer to run properly.

Whilst the PO4 is undetectable, I do remember from previous setups where I had GHA problems that the PO4 is "locked" in by the GHA and hence does not show up on the tests

I'm still dosing as follows:

Zeostart: 0.4ml daily
    Zeobak: 2 drops daily
    Sponge Power : 2 drops daily

Should I keep the same dosing regime for now or should I scale down the Zeobak and Sponge Power dosing to 2-3 times a week?
    Lastly, the flow through my Zeolite reactor is at 350l/h (approx). Is this OK or should I decrease/increase this?

Comment

I am right that your net water volume is ~ 100 US gallons or 400 liter ?

How much ZeoVit material do you use exactly ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
        I am right that your net water volume is ~ 100 US gallons or 400 liter ?

How much ZeoVit material do you use exactly ?

G.Alexander
        Total water volume is 200liter (gross) and I would estimate the nett volume to be around 150 liter.
        I currently use 0.5 liter of ZeoVit material

Comment

Thank you ~ 0.375 liters of ZeoVit would be the right amount for your system size. A little bit more does not hurt but I would not use more than 0.4 liters. For this quantity a rector flow of ~ 150 – 200 liters would be the right amount.

Lets adjust the dosage a little bit:

Zeostart: 0.15 ml 2 x daily
          Zeobak: 2 drops 2 x weekly
          Sponge Power : 2 drops every other day

After each ZeoVit exchange which is done every 6 – 8 weeks ZeoBac should be dosed daily for 10 days, than continue to dose it 2 x weekly until the next exchange. Always just replace 90% of the material and keep ~ 10% of the old material in the reactor.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thank you ~ 0.375 liters of ZeoVit would be the right amount for your system size. A little bit more does not hurt but I would not use more than 0.4 liters. For this quantity a rector flow of ~ 150 – 200 liters would be the right amount.

Lets adjust the dosage a little bit:

Zeostart: 0.15 ml 2 x daily
            Zeobak: 2 drops 2 x weekly
            Sponge Power : 2 drops every other day

After each ZeoVit exchange which is done every 6 – 8 weeks ZeoBac should be dosed daily for 10 days, than continue to dose it 2 x weekly until the next exchange. Always just replace 90% of the material and keep ~ 10% of the old material in the reactor.

G.Alexander
            Perfect. Thanks for the feedback
            I'll adjust accordingly.

Comment

So... quick update. Over the past week I have added a few corals (pics attached):
              Acropora sp. - I'm horrible with the names and as the frags are still quite small it is difficult to make a proper identification
              S. hystrix
              Montipora - not sure if this is a plating monti or encrusting monti
              Echinopora
              Stylophora
              Euphyllia glabrescens (torch)

I'm wondering when would be the right time to start dosing Pohl's Xtra special or if I need to do so at all?

Also added a few snails - Nerites, cerithium and a nassarius snail.
              Interesting to note that the nerite snails spend quite a bit of time out of the water at the top of the tank, before returning to the water several hours later. I have read though that since they come from intertidal zones that this seems to be normal behaviour

Water parameter wise there is no real change since last week and parameters appear stable. The water is crystal clear and the skimmer finally seems to be foaming properly. I do however have to change out the filter floss in the media cup every 3 days, as it traps a large amount of particulate. But this is a good thingπŸ‘
              I've changed the dosing of Zeobak , Zeostart and Sponge power as recommended and adjusted flow a bit in the Zeovit reactor to approx 200 l/hr.

Still struggling with the GHA and although I am manually removing, it seems to just grow back again. I eventually did decide to go for a Seahare (Dolobella sp.) and the little guy is happily munching away at the GHA. He seems to prefer the shorter GHA and does not really touch the very long strands, so I will need to keep doing some gardening..πŸ˜‰

If all goes well and parameters remain stable, I'll add the first fish in the next 2-3 weeks.πŸ˜€

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_122710.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	598091 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_103941.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	598092 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_103829.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	598093 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_103858.jpg
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	598094

Name:	20201028_104002.jpg
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	598095 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_103918.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	598096 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_103851.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	598097

Name:	20201028_103747.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	4.54 MB
ID:	598098
              ​

Comment

As long you have issues with algae I would recommend to stay with the basics. You will need some patience removing the algae, this might be a longer process and you have to repeat it a couple of times. Please also check if the coral in the second picture is infected with tissue eating flatworms as it looks like some TN on the base.

As Ca and Mg are both relative high I would also recommend to cross check the salinity with a different accurate instrument to rule out salinity is to high.

G.Alexander

Comment

As long you have issues with algae I would recommend to stay with the basics. You will need some patience removing the algae, this might be a longer process and you have to repeat it a couple of times. Please also check if the coral in the second picture is infected with tissue eating flatworms as it looks like some TN on the base.

As Ca and Mg are both relative high I would also recommend to cross check the salinity with a different accurate instrument to rule out salinity is to high.

G.Alexander
                  Thanks and agreed.
                  I will observe the little Acro frag (2nd picture). It does indeed look like some TN, but this is the way the coral arrived. All corals were dipped for 10min before putting them in the tank.

Insofar the salinity is concerned: I recently purchased a Hannah digital salinity meter as I was concerned about the accuracy of my refractometer. The salinity was way too high (close to 1.032) which would explain the high Ca & MG levels. This was corrected to 1.026 before I added the corals to the tank. I will just monitor this daily.

Comment

So, quick update: Still having a battle with GHA, but I will just continue to manually remove and have some patience.
                    Water parameters tested today:

Ca: 430-440
                    Mg: 1370
                    kH : 9-10 dKH (This has risen over the past week. Used to be at 7.5)
                    Nitrate: Undetectable
                    PO4: Undetectable
                    Salinity: 1.025 (double checked with two separate instruments - Hannah digital meter & refractometer)

Haven't gotten round to checking the pH, but I'll do so tonight

Overall the tank looks healthy. The corals added two weeks ago are all doing well. TN on the little Acro frag has halted, so all good here.
                    I currently feed the corals twice a week (ReefRoids) and of course a small piece of shrimp for my Nassarius snail (who always seems to be hungry)πŸ˜‰
                    No fish as yet, but I plan on probably adding 2 Clowns (A. percula) in the next two weeks.

I am a little concerned about the kH which has risen sharply over the past week. Any reason why this would be the case?
                    Also, and perhaps I'm just being overly anxious about the corals getting sufficient nutrition, but should I considering feeding more/heavier?

Comment

Non of the products from the Zeovit system does have a impact to KH so the elevated level must have a other reason. Have you already cross check the KH with a different test kit to rule out test failure ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Non of the products from the Zeovit system does have a impact to KH so the elevated level must have a other reason. Have you already cross check the KH with a different test kit to rule out test failure ?

G.Alexander
                        Yes, I have checked the alkalinity with a Salifert and Aquaforest test kit. Both give the same result (i.e. approx 10 dKH). I am not currently dosing either Ca, Mg or Alk and therefore I'm really puzzled as to why the alkalinity has risen. My last water change was only 10%, so this would not have impacted the alkalinity.
                        I'll keep checking this every other day to see if it goes down on its own. Very puzzling though...πŸ€”

Comment

Lets see if it comes down over the next couple of days.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                          X