Triton Zeovit method on 250l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triton Zeovit method on 250l

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
    250 litres
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
    210 litres
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
    No
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
    No
    5. Are you using Ozone
    No
    6. Are you using UV
    No
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
    Deltec 400i DC
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
    PO4 = 0.02 (ICP confirmed, see attachemnt) NO3 = 0-1 ppm (Nyos Nitrate test kit)
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
    See attachment for Ca & Mg, Alk is 6.7dkh (Hanna)
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
    Zeolites
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
    1 x 24w ATI Blue Plus and TMC AquaBeam 600 Ultima Reef White and Marine Blue
    12. What corals do you keep
    SPS & LPS
    13. Tissue color (light or dark)
    LPS corals are vibrant and the SPS that i do have are light in colour
    14. How long has the tank been running
    15 months
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
    To keep my nutrients consistently low and make my corals look amazing
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
    Triton Core 7 reef supplements for NON chateo refuigium setup, Triton trace elements after ICP tests
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
    15 months old,
    18. Any present problems
    Algae issues
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
    Brown algae appears on the sand also on rocks
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
    Hanna test kits for PO4 and Alk, Nyos, Red Sea and ICP
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
    KZ AAHC 2 drops Every Day
    KZ AA LPS 1ml Every Day
    KZ ZeoBac 2 Drops (Tues & Fri) (expect on every 4th week when I dose 2 drops every day for a week)
    KZ ZeoFood+ 5 Drops (Tus, Fri & Sun)
    KZ ZeoStart3 0.4ml Every Day (expect on every 4th week when I dose 14 drops every day for a week)
    KZ Zeolites 500ml - 600ml every 7 weeks

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
    PH 8.3 avg, sal is 1.026, temp 25.8degC
    23. Which salt brand do you use
    Tropic Marin classic

I would like to know if all is ok with my dosing scedule and if there is anything that I am missing in regards to coral nutrition

Attached Files

Also doing 10% water changes weekly as per Zeovit method

Comment

Also running around 400ml of KZ CARBON in a bag in the sump

Comment

Some of the additives like the amino acids and food are dosed to often which might be the reason for the brown film you notice.

Can you tell us something more about your future plans, do you like to dose the triton elements beside the ZeoVit system ? Basically my recommendation is to choose one system as mixing the different systems does usually not work very well.

Please also tell us when you have stared to use the ZeoVit components on your system.

G.Alexander

Comment

Hi

I'll reduce my AAHC, ACLPS to twice a week and see how that goes. The Zeofood I'll drop down to twice a week.

The reason for dosing Triton reef supplements is simplicity, I set my doser up to match the alkalinity consumption and I know that all the major,minor and trace elements will be supplied in balance.

I do struggle to know what KZ products to dose if I was not using Triton reef supplements.

15months ago I started using the full Triton method but I couldn't get the refugium to flourish, even with a kessil h380 glow light, I put that down to not being enough nutrients to start with for the chaeto to grow.

I decided to start the KZ method about 3months ago, I followed KZ setup guide and have been keeping my nutrients low, so more then happy with it so far, but my future would be to eventually make it to a full KZ system and have awesome coral colour and growth

Comment

Hi

Would you agree on the reductions mentioned above.

Do you have advice on KZ supplements when my current Triton supplements run out?

Comment

Lets see if the brown algae does disappear within the next 10 days after the reduction of the dosage. Usually dosing those elements 2 x weekly works very well even for heavy stocked systems (corals).

Dosing depending to ICP test results is IMO not really working well especially if it comes to elements with a really low concentration. I was always dosing depending to the look of the corals, over the time you will get a feeling for it. Additional doing weekly water changes of
              10% will add elements in a balanced way while Ca, Mg, KH and K+ usually needed to be dosed furthermore but those are no trace elements.

Some korallenzucht products which are used beside the basics are XTra, B-Balance, CoralVitalizer, Iodine, Iron for example, I think those are the most common products. The products are high concentrated and the dosing quantities are low so they usually last for a long time.

I would recommend you to continue dosing as follows:

KZ AAHC 2 drops 2 x weekly
              KZ AA LPS 1ml 2 x weekly
              KZ ZeoBac 2 Drops 2 x weekly – daily after each ZeoVit exchange for 10 days
              KZ ZeoFood+ 2 drops 2 x weekly
              KZ ZeoStart3 0.2 ml 2 x daily (morning / evening) if possible otherwise 0.4 ml once daily

Use 0.2 liters activated carbon passively flown in the sump (replaced every 4 weeks)
              Use 0.5 liters ZeoVit and replace the material every 6 – 8 weeks, reactor flow ~ 200 liters per hour

G.Alexander

Comment

Hi

Many thanks for your advice, I'll update in 2 weeks on the progress.

Comment

Hi surfinbird

how is going? Any update?

Comment

Hello
                    ​​​​​​
                    I have followed the recommendations above and feel that the brown algae has reduced slightly but is still showing itself on the sand bed. I have conducted two weekly water changes and have changed the carbon as part of my zeovit routines. Confirmed water flow through reactor is roughly 200 liters/h

I have dropped using Triton reef supplements and have gone with KZ major elements Magnisium complex, Calcium and Alkalinity to supplement, I have a mixture of LPS & SPS corals but many of them are still in the fragment stage.

Comment

Can you please try to describe the issues with your corals and which ones are affected a little bit more detailed ?

G.Alexander

Comment

The issues currently I have are not with the corals, its the brown algae I have on my sand bed even after the reduction of my ZeoFood+ and Amino acids,

My Current and new schedule:

KZ AAHC 2 drops 2 x weekly
                        KZ AA LPS 1ml 2 x weekly
                        KZ ZeoFood+ 2 drops 2 x weekly
                        KZ ZeoStart3 0.2 ml 2 x daily (morning / evening) if possible otherwise 0.4 ml once daily

Use 0.2 liters activated carbon passively flown in the sump (replaced every 4 weeks)
                        Use 0.5 liters ZeoVit and replace the material every 6 – 8 weeks, reactor flow ~ 200 liters per hour

My basic water parameters are as follows:
                        Temp: 25.8DegC
                        Sal: 1.025
                        PH: 8.1
                        KH:6.9
                        Ca: 445
                        Mg: 1440
                        PO4: 0
                        No3: 3
                        Attached Files

Comment

Just missing ZeoBac in your dosing regimen, 2 drops 2 – 3 x weekly would be the right amount. As your corals are doing well I would try to reduce the Amino Acid addition furthermore for some time:

Z AAHC 2 drops 1 x weekly
                          KZ AA LPS 1ml 1 x weekly
                          KZ ZeoFood+ 2 drops 1 x weekly

The ZeoStart3 dosage is OK.

Additional you can vacuum the sand bed while each water change to remove the sediments in the deeper sand layers and dose CoralSnow @ 4 ml daily for 2 weeks. Please also check the quality of your RO water with a accurate TDS meter, you should get a ZERO reading.

G.Alexander

Comment

Hi

Sorry missed ZeoBac when I copied text earlier, I am dosing Zeobac 2 drops, 2 x weekly. I'll change dose of AA solutions to above and will give this 2 weeks and get back to you.

As part of my maintenance for water changes I tend to vacuum the sand bed, I'll continue to do so. I will purchase KZ coralsnow this week and dose accordingly.

I have an in line HM digital TDS meter setup pre DI resin and post DI resin
                            Pre DI = 2
                            Post DI = 0

Many thanks

Comment

Are you still doing ICP tests. I'd love to empty a bottle of Pohls Extra or a-balance into a bucket of RO and take a smaple of this for ICP. We may finally understand some of the things that is in the bottles.

That aside, how you found any trends in trace element use/consumption before and after zeolite changes?

Comment

Working...
                              X