Upgrading my tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading my tank

Ok, so I have some questions about upgrading my tank. I’m upgrading from a 120g 48”24”24 to a 150g 60”24”24 (not to big of a upgrade), I am doing full zeovit. My new tank is 45min-1hr away I’m going to setup the tank and let it cycle before I move my other tank live stock, rock etc
    1) Can/should I do a cycle with bacteria in a bottle like dr. Tim’s
    2) should I add some more dry/live rock to bring me up to 1lb. Per gallon before I move over my live stock.
    3) do I need to run a zeovit reactor on the new tank, I really don’t want to do this😒
    4) when I move over my existing reactor do I start with new rocks or try to keep the old ones
    5) I’m starting this new system with fresh dry sand is this ok
    I think that’s it any help would be appreciated.
    thanks

Hello Mike, I would recommend you to cycle the new system as follows:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...803#post290803

The additional dosage of other cycling products is not recommended.

If you use just dry rocks the cycle will take much more time so some patience is necessary. To speed up the process place some old ZeoVit in the new system in a mash bag in the sump additional to the material you use in the reactor. Running the material from the beginning is necessary so a second reactor is needed. You might build some kind of a DIY reactor, can be done easy and is not to expansive before you move your old reactor the the new system. You might fine some ideas over here:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/equip...iy-zeoreactors

You can also transfer some hands of old sand to the new systems and mix it with the fresh sand. If possible also move some of the rocks of your old system for the cycle to the new system.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thank you!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
        Hello Mike, I would recommend you to cycle the new system as follows:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...803#post290803

The additional dosage of other cycling products is not recommended.

If you use just dry rocks the cycle will take much more time so some patience is necessary. To speed up the process place some old ZeoVit in the new system in a mash bag in the sump additional to the material you use in the reactor. Running the material from the beginning is necessary so a second reactor is needed. You might build some kind of a DIY reactor, can be done easy and is not to expansive before you move your old reactor the the new system. You might fine some ideas over here:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/equip...iy-zeoreactors

You can also transfer some hands of old sand to the new systems and mix it with the fresh sand. If possible also move some of the rocks of your old system for the cycle to the new system.

G.Alexander
        When I do the 14 day cycle, can I move over all of my live rock, fish Etc etc and equipment at one time?

Comment

Do you mean to cycle the new system for 2 weeks and move everything from your old system to the new system ?

IMO it is risky, would be better to have the new system running stabile before transferring the animals step by step.

G.Alexander

Comment

When the new tank is fully cycled would it be ok to move over my old tank to the new system? I will be using 20lbs of cured live rock in the new system With 130lbs of the rock in my other system
            Last edited by mike1970; 08-17-2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Basically that would be good however I would not move all the animals at once, not sure how many corals and fish you have. Doing this step by step would be the most save way.

G.Alexander

Comment

Basically that would be good however I would not move all the animals at once, not sure how many corals and fish you have. Doing this step by step would be the most save way.

G.Alexander
                When you do the first dose on the 14 day cycle should you still shake the media? As regular

Comment

Even while the 14 day cycle Mike.

G.Alexander

Comment

Even while the 14 day cycle Mike.

G.Alexander
                    Understood

Comment

When I do the rock exchange in 6 weeks, do I change out all of them or a certain amount?

Comment

While each exchange it is recommended to keep ~ 10% of the old material in the reactor while you add ~ 90% fresh material. After each exchange dose ZeoBac daily for 10 days.

G.Alexander

Comment

Things are looking good now I had a small diatom bloom & a bacteria bloom that seem to be going away I know this happens when you use dry rock, I’ve added some (good clean) Marine pure blocks from an established tank to help my cycle along is this ok? Also what’s the best way to make sure you get the right amount of rocks? my new tank is 165g so that’s 1.6L-1.7L My old tank is 100g that made it easy
                          Last edited by mike1970; 09-19-2020, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Good to hear things are going as planned. Adding the additional Marine Pure blocks from a established system will improve the biology while the cycle, they can be removed later again.

Because of the total water volume of your system are the 165 US gallons the net or gross volume ?

G.Alexander

Comment

165g is The gross water value with sump - rock and sand. It’s a red sea reefer 625xxl

Comment

Working...
                              X