Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 30G tank

Hi,
    After been out of the hobby for looooong time but been always interested in this method, Im in the process of start a new AIO bare bottom tank in about a week. Will be using dry rock and instead of sand, will add bioballs and brigthwater ceramic rings to substitute the sand for the bacteria to live in. Under this circumstances, do I have to be attached to the 14 dyas new tank setup guide, or because Im not using sand or live rock do I have to do something different?. Your advice will be appreciated. Thanks

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons = 30G , NO sump, bare bottom
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons = aprox. 27G
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique = NO
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) = NO
    5. Are you using Ozone = NO
    6. Are you using UV = NO
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) = TUNZE 9012
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels N/A
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels N/A
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) NO SUMP: bioballs and ceramic rings
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) = Maxspect razor 160W 16K led
    12. What corals do you keep = SPS
    13. Tissue color (light or dark) N/A
    14. How long has the tank been running = new setup
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system = low nutrients for SPS
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) N/A
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) = DRY rock
    18. Any present problems N/A
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) N/A
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) N/A
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) N/A
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) N/A
    23. Which salt brand do you use = Tropic marine pro-reef

Comment

I would recommend you to cycle the system as described over here:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...803#post290803

The cycling process is the same even if you use dry rocks. Make sure to soak the rock well before putting them in the system, also I would not use the BioBalls.

Please keep in mind that the cycle will take much more time as you do not use live rock, so some patience is necessary. I would also not add animals to quick like described in the above link especially no fish.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks Alexander for your input. About not using bioballs you mean only the bioballs or ceramic rings either?, also ... why not?

Comment

Personally I would not use either, to improve the surface a shallow sand bed would be my choice. If this is not a option for you the ceramics might be a good addition, alternatively some live rock instead in the sump camber are a further possibility. The BioBalls are IMO not a good addition, they are made of plastics and who knows what they are leaching ?

G.Alexander

Comment

understood, thanks Alexander

Comment

Other question, do I have to add ammonia to start the cycling process?

Comment

I have never tried it but basically it is not necessary, adding a small fish if the first first 2 weeks have passed and if everything is working as expected might be a good idea.

G.Alexander

Comment

Alexander, I assume that the bacteria that will be added to my new tank with your porducts need to be fed with amonia right?, in that situation what bacteria will eat if there is nothing in the tank for 2 weeks?, if my line is right, as soon as I add the fish the cycle process will start and will have an ammonia spike that can kill the fish. As I told you before, I will use dry rock so nothing will be in the tank except rodi salt water and area where the bacteria can attatch.

Comment

I do not have experience with adding ammonium while the cycle said before, all my tanks where cycled with live rock and I know of others they have used just dry rock using the zeovit products for the cycle. A system with dry rock needs additional time to cycle, this can take a couple of month before it does run stabile. If you like to speed up the cycle a little it adding a couple of pieces live rock or some sand from a cycled system, alternatively some old zeovit from a system which is already running in a mash bag in the sump would be another possibility.

G.Alexander

Comment

ok, thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X