Thinking of Starting Zeovit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
    What have you used before ZeoVit to control nutrients ? Please also post your actual dosing regimen.

G.Alexander
    When I first setup the tank I was only using a skimmer. Eventually I added a refugium but I switched that out with zeovit. When I had the refugium my phosphate was at about .15. I also changed sand a few months after setting up the tank because the grain size was too small.

Dosing:

Zeostart: daily .45ml morning and evening
    ZeoBac: every other day 5 drops
    Biomate: every other day 10 drops

Pump media nightly. Reactor at about 100gph, changed two weeks ago.

I store everything in the refrigerator, is that proper?

Thank you very much for helping me.

Comment

The dosing regimen is OK, if you run 1.2 liters ZeoVit I would recommend to increase the reactor flow to ~ 125 US gallons per hour.

Additional adjust your skimmer to skim wet and clean it daily to export as much as possible for some time. It might also be helpful to vacuum the sand while the regular water changes to remove the sediments from the deeper sand layers. Lets do this once weekly for a couple of weeks.

Just place ZeoBac, CoralVitalizer and BioMate in the fridge, the other products should be stored at normal room temperature.

G.Alexander

Comment

I checked my phosphate out of curiosity today and they were at .30! Is it possible my sand is leeching phosphates? Everything was fine many months ago until I changed my sand out.

Comment

Sand can be a source of PO4, do you still have some fresh sand from the kind of material you have used ? Have you soaked the sand well in RO water until it no PO4 was detectable in the RO water furthermore before you have added it to your system ?

Please also repeat the PO4 test again to rule out any issue with the last test.

G.Alexander

Comment

Unfortunately I do not have any more of the sand. I rinsed the sand in tap water until it was fairly clear and then I rinsed it in RODI a couple times. I never measured the phosphate.

Test read .23 after retest.

Comment

Can I add GFO to help reduce phosphates?

Comment

PO4 absorbers can cause additional problems especially for more delicate SPS corals, not sure if you still keep SPS corals ?

Another possibility would be CoralSnow Plus which does contain a PO4 decreasing component.

As you seem to have PO4 depots in your system already this all might take some time.

G.Alexander

Comment

I still have 3 SPS frags holding on, but they are dark.

I will go ahead and order the CoralSnow Plus. I may order the ZeoFood so I have it when I need to start dosing it.

How should I dose CoralSnow Plus?

Comment

You can dose 1 ml / 25 US gallons daily for 10 days, check the Po4 level every couple of days. Alternatively as you do not have much corals at the moment a PO4 absorber can be used but need to be reduce step by step later, once the PO4 level does not increase furthermore if some of the material is removed.

G.Alexander

Comment

Here is the update for today. PO4 is sitting at about .22. I have been dosing CoralSnow Plus daily for 7 days.

I have been dosing the following:

ZeoStart: .45ml at AM and PM
                      ZeoBac: 5 drops Mon/Wed/Fri
                      BioMate: 5 drops Mon/Wed/Fri
                      CoralSnow Plus: 5ml daily

I also changed the Zeo Media today and will dose ZeoBac for 10 days.
                      Last edited by SuperSaiyanTang; 10-01-2020, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Lets continue dosing as follows:

ZeoStart: .45ml at AM and PM
                        ZeoBac: 5 drops Mon/Wed/Fri
                        BioMate: 10 drops Mon/Wed/Fri
                        CoralSnow Plus: 5ml daily

Please also make sure that your ZeoVit reactor has the correct flow by measuring it. Should be ~ 450 liters per hour.

You can additional set your skimmer to skim more wet to remove as much as possible, clean it daily or every other day to optimize the export.

G.Alexander

Comment

Looks like I am starting to see some progress. I think changing the reactor media helped alot.

October 3rd: PO4: .10
                          October 6th: PO4: .11

Should I change the media early for a bit to aid in phosphate removal? Should I continue to wait to dose Zeofood?

Comment

Lets hold with ZeoFood as long as the PO4 level is elevated. If you like to you can do the next media exchange in 4 weeks (replace 90% of the material and keep 10% of the old material in the reactor) otherwise the same every 6 weeks. Lets see if the PO4 level does decrease furthermore in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                            X