Upgrading Tank Size with Zeovit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Tank Size with Zeovit

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - ~32 Gallons
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - ~25 Gallons
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique: No
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.): No
    5. Are you using Ozone: No
    6. Are you using UV: No
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume): IM Marine Nuvoskim DC Protein Skimmer, Rated for 40-50 Gallons
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels: Both unmeasurable
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels: Ca: 425, Alk: 8.5, Mg: 1300
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) My tank is an AIO, just have a skimmer on it right now.
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.): 2 AI Prime 16HD, running more blue
    12. What corals do you keep: Zoas, Euphyillia, SPS, LPS, Soft
    13. Tissue color (light or dark): Corals look great
    14. How long has the tank been running: ~3-4 months
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system: I'm already using Zeovit
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.): Running Kalk in my ATO @ 1tbsp / gal
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)~15-20 lbs, 3-4 months old
    18. Any present problems: Nothing wrong now
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.): None
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.): API
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.): I'm dosing ZB, ZV, ZS & ZF at the recommended amounts for 25 gallons of water.
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) 76 degrees, 1.025
    23. Which salt brand do you use: Reef Crystals

I'm going to be upgrading to a 90 gallon display and roughly 20-30 gallon sump. Are there any specific considerations I need to take in while upgrading to a larger volume with the Zeovit system? I'll be adding in a moving over all of my sand (it's still fairly clean due to it being a semi new tank), all of my live rock, and the full water volume. The rest of the sand and rock will be dry rock/dead sand and new freshly mixed water.

Should I begin dosing the new Zeovit, Zeobak, Zeofood and Zeostart levels day 1 of the transition? Overall, just looking for guidelines on using the Zeovit system while upgrading from 1 stable tank to a larger tank with the current corals/fish that are doing very well.

Welcome to ZeoVit.com !

The most secure way is to setup the new system, cycling it and move the animals from the old system to the new system when the cycle is complete. Would this be a option for you ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Unfortunately it will not. I don't have anywhere to store the fish/coral for a long period.

I'll be breaking the current tank down and replacing the new tank within the same day. New tank is going where the old tank is so I can't leave it up and running.

Comment

Moving a system on one day is always risky but if you do not have a choice I would do this as follows:

Mix the necessary water quantity you need additional for your system a couple of days before, placing the old ZeoVit material in the mixing container also and dose a couple of drops ZeoBac and some ZeoStart. Make sure the water has the correct temperature before you transfer the ZeoVit material.

Place the animals in a temporary holding system with 100% old water. Clean the rocks using old water to remove sediments etc, and place them in the temporary holding system also together with your old skimmer. Get a new skimmer for your new system as the old one is to small for the new system size.

Break down the old system and install the new system, use some of the old sand which is rinsed in saltwater well together with the fresh sand in the new system. Fill it up with as much old water you have and add the fresh mixed water together with the live rock from your old system.

Install all the necessary equipment and if that is finished move your animals in the new system.

Add the necessary ZeoVit quantity in your reactor and start it running with continuous flow. For a net water volume of 100 US gallons use 1 liter material with a water flow of 100 US gallons per hour.

Dose 1 x daily 10 drops ZeoBac and SpongePower, ZeoStart 2 x daily for 3 days, than continue dosing as follows for the first 2 weeks:

4 Drops ZeoBac – every other day
        0.4 ml ZeoStart - 2 x daily
        4 drops SpongePower – every other day

Additional place the old ZeoVit material in your sump in a mash bag as a biological filtration material. It can be removed later.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thank you for the detailed reply!

Comment

Alexander,

I successfully transferred and updated the tank without losing anything. Wanted to tell you my current dosing schedule and see if it’s inline with what you think I need. Currently have a 90 and sump running prob 85 gallons water volume total. Running carbon and zeo media for ~100 gallons

I’m dosing the following:
            • 4 drops of zeobak twice a week
            • .4 ml zeostart3 daily
            • 4 drop bio mate twice a week
            • 4 drops zeofood twice a week (12 drops daily one week per month)
            • 4ml coral snow randomly roughly once per week for water clarity
            Really appreciate any feedback, still figuring out the zeovit system

Comment

Glad to hear the move has worked well !

Can you please update the actual PO4 and NO3 level ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Alex,

Just did PO4 and NO3 tests using API Test Kit.

PO3: Higher than 0, lower than .25ppm (I'd say somewhere around .1-.15ppm based on the color I saw)
                NO3: 0ppm

I am battling a little bit of cyano in the sand bed (new and old sand) and on new dry rocks that were added.

Comment

Thank you, first think I would recommend you is a high sensitive test kit or a photometer for the PO4 level. The standard test kits are usually not accurate enough especially at lower concentrations.

Your current dosing regimen is fine and if you are pleased with growth and coloration at the moment I would recommend to keep the path for the next couple of weeks before starting to add “coloration elements” to your dosing regimen. Also as long as PO4 is elevated it does not make sense to use those elements.

To increase the PO4 processing you can try to dose 8 drops BioMate every other day for the next 2 – 3 weeks, also make sure the ZeoVit reactor has the correct flow.

To treat the cyanos many had success with a mixture of CoralSnow and ZeoBac. You can try to dose 2 ml CoralSnow mixed with 1 drop ZeoBac / 25 US gallons daily for one week to see if that does help.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks Alex,

I really appreciate your guidance with the dosing.

Is it worth bumping Zeostart to .7ml daily to help lower PO4?

Comment

I just like to check the net water volume of your system, is it 100 US gallons ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Water volume is likely 85-90 gallons between rock and sump; it's a 90 gallon tank with a medium amount of rock and sand.

Comment

Thank you, lets continue dosing as follows:

ZeoBac – 3 drops 2 x weekly
                          ZeoStart – 0.35 ml 2 x daily
                          SpongePower – 3 drops every other day
                          BioMate – 8 drops every other day

To treat the cyanos 6 ml CoralSnow mixed with 4 drops ZeoBac daily for one week. The additional dose of Zeobac is not necessary while dosing this. Switch off the skimmer for about 2 hours while dosing the mixture.

G.Alexander

Comment

Alex,

As of my water change yesterday; all cyano is gone from the tank. I think the upped ZeoStart helped the most.

Really appreciate the help. My sand is pure white, coral PE is better than ever and I'm able to up my feeding while continuing to reduce PO4.

Really happy with the progress and health of the tank.

Comment

Glad to hear the system does slowly improve 👍

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                              X