• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dubs2u
    ZEOhead in Training
    • Jun 2020

150G Zeovit Switch

Hello Zeovit,
    I just started my Zeovit transition for my 150 gallon reef tank, set up since late 2016, 60 x 24 x 24 in (152 x 61 x 61 cm). The tank has lots of soft corals and I have struggled with keeping LPS previously. I’m looking to get things stable and start to grow some stony corals. I’m open to suggestions and recommendations.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 175 gal / 660 L
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter ~145 gal / ~550 L
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique - No
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) - removed 2 weeks ago
    5. Are you using Ozone - No
    6. Are you using UV - No
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) - Vertex 180i
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels - 0.05 ppm P04 (Hanna), 25 ppm NO3 (Salifert)
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels - 440 Ca (Salifert), 6.55 Alk (Hannah), 1420 Mg (Salifert), 450 K (Salifert)
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) No
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) 2x Radion Gen 1 AB
    12. What corals do you keep - an over abundance of mushrooms, Kenyan trees/Colt corals, recently added some Zoes and a green leather frag
    13. Tissue color (light or dark)
    14. How long has the tank been running - 4 years
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system - to drive stability and reduce NO3 and PO4
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) - none
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) - 100+ lbs from a previous tank +5 years
    18. Any present problems - Hair algae has been a problem but under control, some diatoms on sand bed.
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Hanna PO4 and Alk, Salifert NO3, Ca, Mg and K
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
    Added Zeovit reactor 6/17/20 with 1.25L Zeovit 3hrs on-3hrs off cycle with 375 L/hr
    Carbon 0.5L in bag in sump
    Zeobak - 5 drops, 2x per week
    Zeostart3 - 1mL/day
    Spongepower - 5 drops, 3x per week
    Coral Snow - 2x per week

not using yet -
    Zeofood7
    Biomate

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) 1.025 - 1.026, 77-79 F
    23. Which salt brand do you use - Red Sea Pro, switching to Tropic Marine Pro Reef Salt

Thanks for looking.

Adam
  • jacky
    ZEOhead
    • May 2018

Hello Dubs2u, welcome to ZeoVit

System conversion, the first 2 weeks (14 days), 5 drops of Zeo Bac per day. The first zeolite material remained for 4 weeks.

Here are some ideas

Keep the reactor on and off for 3 hours, and adjust the reactor flow to 500 liters per hour.

From now on, 5 drops of Zeo Bac every day until July 9th(14 days)

From July 17th (30 days old), let's replace the first ZeoVit material (retain 50% of the old one and replace it with 50% of the new one). After replacing the material, the daily dose of Zeo Bac is 5 drops, x10 days. After 2 weeks, if the corals are all healthy, switch the reactor to continuous flow

Start 0.5ml x2 (morning and evening, daily) Spongepower-5 drops, every other day
    Coral Snow 5ml-2 times a week

-Zeofood7 temporarily suspended
    Biomate (optional), after the reactor is switched to continuous flow, 10 drops every other day for 2 weeks.

@Since you removed PO4 2 weeks ago, check what the actual level of PO4 is. If the nutritional level rises, it is recommended to start 10 drops of BioMate every other day at this moment and adjust the reactor flow rate to 500 liters slightly (still remain on and off for 3hr)

Salt + water, change 5~10% every week

Kh 6.5~7.5
    Ca 420~440
    Mg 1250~1300
    K+~380

Comment

• Dubs2u
      ZEOhead in Training
      • Jun 2020

Thanks Jacky. I will make the adjustment to the flow and Zeobak quantity.

can you explain the purpose of the Zeofood7 and when to implement it?

Thanks.

Comment

• G.Alexander
        ZEOadmin
        • Jan 2005

Hello Adam, ZeoFood does additional contain elements to nourish corals which are not necessary at this stage while nutrient are elevated. You can use the product additional later once the system is running nutrient poor solid.

G.Alexander

Comment

• Dubs2u
          ZEOhead in Training
          • Jun 2020

Thank you. I have adjusted to flow to 500L, 5 drops Zeobak daily, 0.5 mL ZeoStart 2x daily, 5 drops SpongePower every other day and 2x CoralSnow 2x per week.

Tested today:
          Alk 6.776
          PO4 - 0.11 ppm
          NO3 - 50 ppm

The softies are looking fine and algae is less, definitely less on the glass. I’m going to start the 10 drops Biomate today and do a 10% water change.

Comment

• jacky
            ZEOhead
            • May 2018

It looks good, because there are animals in the tank, it is also recommended to use Zeo carbon (one of the core cores of Zeo), 0.5 liters (Zeo brand carbon), use a net bag to place in sumo, passive flight, 30 days replacement

The nutritional level seems to have risen, keep the BioMate plan and adjust the reactor flow to the correct level, and keep monitoring the PO4
            (Let us try this way, if the nutrition continues to rise, using the original PO4 adsorbent may be a temporary method, but ensure that the reduction is slow and stable)

When changing water, vacuum the sand as much as possible to make it more mud outlet

18. Any present problems - Hair algae has been a problem but under control, some diatoms on sand bed.
            (Is the ro/di device good? It is recommended to use resin material as the last channel of the filter to ensure the best)

Extra leaching of nutrients (PO4), what do you think is the reason?
            Last edited by jacky; 06-29-2020, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• Dubs2u
              ZEOhead in Training
              • Jun 2020

Update - Flow to 500L 3hr/3hr, 5 drops Zeobak daily, 0.5 mL ZeoStart 2x daily, 5 drops SpongePower every other day, 10 drops Biomate every other day and 6 mL CoralSnow 2x per week.

Tested today:
              Alk 6.776
              PO4 - 0.14 ppm (increase)
              NO3 - 50 ppm (holding)

I have a full RODI system for water changes and top-offs. I have need using BRS carbon in a bag near the return pump intake. I ordered some Zeo brand carbon and plan to use 50/50 with the BRS so I can use it up. I’m hoping the ZeoBak kicks in soon, I’ll test again in a couple of days and probably do another 10% water change.

Comment

• jacky
                ZEOhead
                • May 2018

You can also do a deeper cleaning of the sand bed to reduce nutrition and ensure that nutrition should not rise too much. Pull ZeoVit material x1 every day, Zeo Bac/Start is administered in front of the reactor, this is good

Comment

• G.Alexander
                  ZEOadmin
                  • Jan 2005

You mention in your first post that you have used a PO4 absorber before switching to ZeoVit. As you have removed the absorber all at once before stating ZeoVit the PO4 level does start to rise now. ZeoVit is a bacterial driven system and it takes time until it does work effective to process nutrients so usually it is better to reduce the PO4 absorber slowly step by step when doing a transfer. Lets keep a close eye on the PO4 level now, it should not increase much more in the next couple of weeks.

G.Alexander

Comment

• Dubs2u
                    ZEOhead in Training
                    • Jun 2020

Will do, if it rises much more I will put the PO4 reactor back online. Thanks.
                    The tank has been running for 4+ years (probably closer to 6 years) but we moved houses 1 year ago and I rinsed and replaced 50% of the sand bed. I also vacuum it during water changes, so I don’t think this is the problem.
                    I also installed picked up a Lifereef svs2-24 skimmer and set it to wet skimming. I’m impressed with it so far.

Comment

• G.Alexander
                      ZEOadmin
                      • Jan 2005

If you decide to run the PO4 absorber again if PO4 dose increase furthermore make sure to just use a small quantity which can be slowly increased step by step to prevent quick changes in the PO4 level which can have a negative impact to corals.

G.Alexander

Comment

• Dubs2u
                        ZEOhead in Training
                        • Jun 2020

Update after 2 weeks:
                        Alk 6.160 (dropping)
                        PO4 - 0.07 ppm (decrease)
                        NO3 - 50 ppm (holding)
                        Looks something is starting to work. I’m do a water change and I’ll adjust the Alk up. Changing to ZeoBak 5 drops 3x per week, 0.5 mL ZeoStart 2x daily, 5 drops SpongePower every other day and 2x CoralSnow 2x per week.

Does Biomate help with Nitrate reduction or is this mainly the ZeoBak bacteria and carbon dosing?

Comment

• G.Alexander
                          ZEOadmin
                          • Jan 2005

You can dose 2 drops BioMate / 25 US gallons every other day additional if you like to but this would not have a big effect to NO3. NO3 will come down over the time, it might make sense to vacuum the sand regular while each weekly water change for some time. Do you run any kind of mechanical filtration material ?

G.Alexander

Comment

• Dubs2u
                            ZEOhead in Training
                            • Jun 2020

Thanks Alexander. No mechanical filtration currently.

Comment

• Dubs2u
                              ZEOhead in Training
                              • Jun 2020

Well continuing onward.
                              Alk 7.0 (up)
                              PO4 - 0.14 ppm (up)
                              NO3 - 50 ppm (holding)
                              Ca - 440 ppm
                              I’ll do a 20 gallon water change tomorrow.
                              3 hrs on/3hrs off still, ZeoBak 5 drops 3x per week, 0.5 mL ZeoStart 2x daily, 5 drops SpongePower every other day and 2x CoralSnow 2x per week.

Comment

Working...