Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Struggling to keep nutrients down with zeovit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling to keep nutrients down with zeovit.

I’ve been doing everything how I understand I should according to the instructions and with the tank I have. I’ve been running it for 6 weeks.

I’ve got a 20 gallon Red Sea Max Nano. Got the correct amount of zeolite rocks in the sump which I shake most days (forget pence or twice) and a bag of carbon too.

For the first two weeks I dosed ZEOstart, ZEOfood and ZEObak every day for first two weeks. I used one drop as I couldn’t use any less than a drop obviously.

after two weeks I used ZEOstart every day and ZEOfood and ZEObak three times a week (one drop at a time).

I’ve been doing reliable water changes. Sometimes 30% at a time.

Thinking of getting a ALR1 algae reactor as I really want to bring my nitrates and phosphates down and have been waiting a couple of months to get them down so I can buy some coral. Trying to be patient but it’s not working for me right now.

Thanks.

Whats your NO3/PO4 readings now

Comment

Please post some more information about your system:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...r-tank#post138

G.Alexander

Comment

My nitrate is about 3-4 but that’s after doing three 33% water changes in 7 days.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
        20 gallons - 75L

2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
        roughly the same. Very small sump in Max Nano.

3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
        No

4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
        No

5. Are you using Ozone
        No

6. Are you using UV
        No

7.What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
        No idea. It’s second hand, came with the tank.

8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
        about 3 or 4 on the Red Sea test kit For NO3. Need to re test PO4

9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
        Dont have test kidts for those and don’t have any coral. I use Tropic Marin Pro and have nothing that absorbs these nutrients.

10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
        Just have sand, rock, zeolite rocks, skimmer, carbon in a bag, and filter floss in over flow.

11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
        Have a Kessi A360 Tuna Blue but I’m keeping it down until my nitrates and phosphates are down as I don’t want any algea at all

12. What corals do you keep
        none yet

13. Tissue color (light or dark)
        n/a

14. How long has the tank been running
        about 3 months.

15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
        ultra lie nutrients and colouration for coral

16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
        jsut what I have to dose for ZEOvit at the moment.

17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
        nope

18. Any present problems
        just high nitrate and probably phosphate

19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
        none

20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
        red sea

21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
        a small syringe of ZEOstart every day, one drop
        of zerofold and one drop of zeobak three times a week.

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
        temp 26 Celsius, salinity 0.024 ppm

23. Which salt brand do you use
        Tropic Marin

thanks guys.

Comment

Regarding your system, the amount of zeolite material is about 0.18 litres and the amount of Zeo activated carbon is about 0.1 litres

I would recommend that you get Zeo Sponge Power and temporarily stop Zeo Food (this is not a source of nutrition, keep it for later)

Let's adjust Zeo's basic product plan slightly
          1 drop of Zeo Bac, 2~3 times a week
          Zeo Start 0.075ml x2 (every day, morning and evening), (If the dosage is difficult, 0.15ml once a day), (Zeo Start 0.075ml x2 dose per day is the best)
          Zeo Sponge Power 1 drop every other day
          Pull ZeoVit material several times in the morning and evening x2 times to make the mud enter the display system
          At the same time adjust the moisture of the skimmer and clean the collection cup to make it more outlet

Obtain precision instruments and measure phosphates to get exact digital levels
          Concerned about basic water parameters, starting with salinity and individual element levels
          Kh 6.5~7.5
          Ca 400~420
          Mg 1250~1300
          K+~380
          High-quality salt + water, change the water every week 5~10%

If I understand correctly, then dry rock + tank is young, biology is not fully developed at present, ZeoVit bacteria drive system, it takes some time

Try the above plan and insist that this should reduce nutrition. Of course, it is currently uncertain what the correct nutritional level is and whether there are additional sources of nutrient leaching.

Keep the above plan, if everything is good (low nutrition level, stable, not rising), then replace the first 50% zeolite material 2 weeks later.

I don’t know much about your skimmer. In the case of limited equipment (usually a small amount of water, the efficiency of skimmer is not very good), as much mud outlet as possible, this really helps
          Last edited by jacky; 06-12-2020, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Thank you Jacky

Okay. What does ZEOsponge do? I don’t have sponges in my tank.

I’m unsure about the skimmer. I got it second hand. It’s Tunze (see photo) and I don’t really understand how to adjust it.

Do you think I should add an algae reactor for now to help reduce my levels? As I want them down to get coral so I can put the light on. Can I run ZEOvit and an algae reactor? Or could I run the reactor for now and remove it when my ZEOvit is established?

Thanks again.

Comment

A side effect of SpongePower is that it does have a positive impact to the biology. Basically it is not necessary to have a algae reactor additional but it will also not cause anything negative until the algae do not die off. I am sorry, I can not help you with the skimmer, which model is it exactly ?

G.Alexander

Comment

As G. Alexander said, I would recommend that you start using it so that you can reduce nutrition in a more balanced way. Ensure the correct amount of zeolite, pull the material several times a day, and execute #5,Zeo Dosage Plan to ensure that the skimmer works well

If everything is fine (1. number of materials 2. pull material daily 3. Zeo base product dosage 4. Skimmer output), NO3 should quickly decrease to zero over time

Be sure to get the correct level of salinity, and Kh.Ca.Mg.K+. keep NSW level as much as possible

Get a more advanced phosphate test package

I have no experience with algae reactors, but I don’t think it’s necessary equipment, just keep things simple.

Skimmer's efficiency is indeed quite important, it plays an important role (output)

Comment

Thank you both. I will look and see if I can get any more info on the skimmer.

should I order anything else while buying sponge power as I have to pay for postage anyway. Should I get coral snow?

Comment

Yes, Zeo CoralSnow, CV, AA, Xtra, PIF, BB, SP, KBS, potassium test package

Comment

Thanks Jacky,

sorry are those all different elements?

i was looking at zeospur 2 and coral snow. Do I need to buy those other things? And when should I dose them? When I have coral?

Comment

I don’t know the appearance of your coral. Can you have a chance to see what the coral looks like?

At this stage, you can get the Zeo CoraSnow/CV/KB/potassium test package, which is a good choice, BioMate (optional)

Zeo Spur2 may not be so needed at this stage. It effectively reduces zooxanthellae. After all the corals are healthy, polyps grow, stable low malnutrition water quality, basic water parameters are inline and stable, and everything is perfect before considering adding. Before choosing Zeo Spur2 products, you can consider Zeo BB products, which is also very good.

All Zeo nutrition/coloring products are best added in low malnutrition water quality stability, we can judge by the appearance of corals, for example: the tissue becomes lighter, the polyps expand, and the coral looks eager to grow up. Conventionally, it usually occurs after the zeolite reactor is switched to continuous flow.

The dosage is CoralSnow 0.75ml, twice a week, which is also a good choice. It works with Zeo basic products to synergize this nutritional reduction process. It is more important to adjust the immersion of the Skimmer to make more mud come out. Don’t forget to start with the salinity check and the basic water parameters as stable as possible (NSW)

Dosage Zeo CV, 1 drop, 2 times a week. (This is also possible, optional)

Potassium, Zeo KB, slowly increased to 380 mg

Salinity, 1.023~1.025
                        Kh 6.5~7.5
                        Ca 400~420
                        Mg 1250~1300
                        K+~380
                        (Can you post the actual level of these elements? And what tools are used to measure)

Also, can you post the exact phosphate level? What test kits are used. (This is really important)
                        Last edited by jacky; 06-14-2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Hi Jacky

i will test everything I’m able to, tonight.

I don’t have any coral in my tank. Just wondering if best to order things now as I have to pay for postage for zeosponge.

I use TropicMarin Pro salt to mix my water. And haven’t any coral taking up these nutrients. So will they currently be as stated on the box?

thanks.

Comment

Salinity is 1.024 and P04 is 0.4.

I don’t have anything to measure the other things, at the moment.

Comment

Zeo Reduces 4 Cores of Nutrition Basic Products-Zeo Bac, Start, Spong Power, Zeolite and Zeo Carbon, which are basic products, it is recommended to obtain these. Zeo CoralSnow, KB, BioMate,and potassium test packages are also recommended.

There are no animals in the tank, so what is the source of the high nutrition level (PO4=0.4)? What do you think?
                              Here are some questions:
                              1.Do you use pure water? Is Ro/di good quality? (tds=0), (Is resin material used as the last channel of the filter?)
                              2.Is live rock used in the tank?
                              3.Do you use sand? (What kind of sand is it? Is there more description?)

Comment

Working...
                              X