Live sand use.. HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live sand use.. HELP!

So for my new build I ordered 100lbs of Caribsea Arag-live Special Grade Reef Sand. I've been out of the hobby for five years and haven't used zeovit for 5 years. While ordering things for my new build I ordered the live sand and it's been shipped. Just now, however, I went over the directions for the 14 day cycle and noticed in there that it mentioned live sand shouldn't be used with the zeovit system. @#$%!!!!! Is there any way I can still use this sand anyways? Can I just dry it out before using it? Or maybe soak it a few days in RO/DI freshwater to kill off anything alive? Would greatly appreciate any suggestions or help. Thanks!!!

Hello bimmer88, I have not encountered this problem. If it is me, I will try to do so, soak the sand in Ro / di water, flip the sand as completely as possible every day, and change the water. This takes about 2 weeks, every day. Until PO4 is not detected, the sand is good.

Comment

Many have issues with the combination of Live Sand (packed in plastic bags) and ZeoVit. Constant cyanos or other kind of film is the result but I have to say there are also some systems which do use the combination successful. Soaking it in RO water like Jacky has said is a possibility but you need to do it as long as the sand does not leach PO4 anymore. A depth for the sand bed of ~ 4 – 5 cm works very well, usually I recommend a grain size of 3 – 4 mm as it is easier to clean and it is not blown away by the current to quick.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
      X