Algae invasion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Algae invasion

Hello all I am looking for some help. Started zeovit system about six weeks ago. I have a 210 gallon mixed reef aquarium with total water volume of 250 gallons. At this point I am dosing zeostart three times a week At two mils per dose. I am also dozing zeoback four drops per dose three times a week. The past two weeks I have been dozing cyano clean 8 drops with coral snow 8ml 3 times a week opposite from all other dosing. But here lies the problem about three weeks into start of the system I have been invaded by a green algae with bubbles and I can’t keep it under control.

Alk-8.7 salt 35ppm
    Cal 455 Mag 1300
    phosphate 0.02
    PH 8.7
    Last edited by reefing0517; 05-09-2020, 09:18 PM.

First, make sure that the Ro / di water is good. It is recommended to use resin material as the last channel of the filter.

Zeo basic products, let's adjust the dosage to the conventional ones a little, and also get the following basic products.

8 drops of Zeo Bac, 2-3 times a week
    Zeo Start 0.8ml x2 daily (morning and evening)
    Zeo Sponge Power 8 drops every other day
    Zeo Coral Snow 8ml, x7 days

16 drops of BioMate every other day (optional)

Cyano clean,I have no product experience, follow the guide

Are corals healthy? Are single or all corals showing signs of TN?

What is the current level of zeolite reactor flow?

The phosphate level is very high, what do you think, do you have more information about it? For example: treatment / fish quantity / bulk feeding / equipment change, etc. Has the tank been such a high level since its inception?

The basic water parameters seem to be high. Starting from checking the salinity, slowly keep it at

Kh6.5 ~ 7.5
    Ca400 ~ 420
    Mg1250 ~ 1300
    K + 380

Comment

Jacky thank you for the response. Let me give you as much information as I can. I’ll start with the water it is all RODI water and the filters are changed every six months Including the resin.Currently TDS is zero.
      corals are healthy have showed a lot of growth and increased coloring since starting the system. Although they are not liking being smothered by the algae so some are closing. As for the zeolight I am running one and two thirds in a bubble magus reactor. As for the phosphate it is generally at that level. Also the tank is almost a year and a half old. I also just sent water out to Triton labs as soon as I get those results I will share.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures, it looks like ro / di and sump, everything is fine.

Implementation # 2 plan

Let us check the level of continuous flow in the reactor. Use a small container, collect the water outlet for 30 seconds, the volume is x120, so that you can get continuous flow. And release results.

Those green ones look like green mud (bad bacteria), siphon it, evacuate and remove as much as possible.

Green algae with a bubble, what is it? Bubble algae? Is there a picture about it?

Comment

Can you tell us more about your tank information, thank you

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...bout-your-tank

Comment

I Added some pictures The bubbles only show up when the lights are on. Reminds me of Dino’s but never seen those in a green algae color usually brown. Jacky you said bad bacteria that’s basically Dino’s right.

Comment

Tell us about your tank.
              Please give us answers to the following questions in order to get more accurate dosing recommendations.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter---250gal
              2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter---210gal
              3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique---NO
              4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)----I stopped two weeks after starting Zeo
              5. Are you using Ozone---NO
              6. Are you using UV---NO
              7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) Reef Octopus 8'' Classic 200INT Rated for tanks up to 250gal
              8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels--- 0.02
              9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels---422/8.0/1200
              10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)---Refugium
              11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)---Red Sea Reef 90 4 of them
              12. What corals do you keep Blue-100% White-50% at peak ramps up and ramps down @ 10hr span
              13. Tissue color (light or dark)---Light
              14. How long has the tank been running--- 15 moths But the rocks most have been in a tank for five years added 50lb of dry rock when I upgraded from 125gal tank.
              15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system---To get better results from my coral SPS
              16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
              17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)---Five years 100lb and 15 months old 50lb Total rocks 150lb
              18. Any present problems ---Algae or Bad bacteria outbreak
              19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)---Algae or Bad bacteria outbreak
              20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Hanna Checkers
              21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)--1 2/3 bag /3 drops x2 every other day/Never/2ml every other and
              Zeosnow 8ml with Cyano Clean 8 Drops
              22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) Salt 35ppm /Temp 78F
              23. Which salt brand do you use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals water change every week 40gal

Comment

Thanks, the picture is very blue, not very clear. I would recommend that you use a device with resin material as pure water, let us do it 3 times within 10 days, 20% each time, refresh the balance. And potassium to 380 mg.

While doing so, siphon the affected parts (bad green bacteria) and evacuate them. Perform # 2 plan.

Kh 6.5~7.5
                Ca 400~420
                Mg 1250~1300
                K+~380 mg

Any more descriptions about those dry rock materials? What kind of dry rock are they, and are the green signs completely present in the dry rock material?

Comment

The green is on everything. Rock is from BRS Reef Saver dry rock. And the tank is crystal clear just a bad pic. My iPhone doesn't like the blue lights. But the water changes can only help the situation.

Comment

I would like to make a correction my phosphate is 0.02 not 0.2 sorry!

Comment

I would also recommend to continue dosing the basics like Jacky said:

8 drops of Zeo Bac, 2-3 times a week
                      Zeo Start 0.8ml x2 daily (morning and evening)
                      Zeo Sponge Power 8 drops every other day
                      To get rid of the green slime algae dose additional 16 ml CoralSnow Standard, not the Plus version, mixed with 8 drops CyanoClean daily for 10 days. Additional remove the algae with a brush manually as often as possible for some time.

Optional you can dose 16 drops BioMate every other day which does support the decrease of PO4.

While doing the weekly water changes vacuum the sand also to remove the sediments from the deeper sand layers.

Use 2 bags ZeoVit which is 2 liters with a constant water flow of ~ 210 US gallons per hour through the reactor. Make sure to measure the flow, replace the material every 6 weeks.

Run 0.8 liters activated carbon passively flown in the sump, replace it every 4 weeks. Most people use korallenzucht carbon as it is know to not be to aggressive in removing elements which can cause issues.

It will take some time before the slime algae get reduced so some patience is necessary.

The coral in the first picture you have posted looks bleached at the base. I would recommend to check if it is infected by acropora tissue eating flatworms.

The dosing calculation is based on US gallons.

G.Alexander

Comment

Be sure to change the water, the basic water parameters have deviated, this refreshes the elements in a balanced manner, # 8 and # 11 (and indeed everything is perfect), keeping the Zeo foundation and therapeutic product dosage. We can do this first.

I also found in the first picture that corals are unhealthy, but my experience is not very good, as G. Alexander said, check for harmful insects.

Comment

Originally posted by reefing0517 View Post
                          I would like to make a correction my phosphate is 0.02 not 0.2 sorry!
                          it's OK

Comment

Checked flow rate today reactor is pumping out 5 gallons a minute 300 hr. Completed a 20% water change today and will continue schedule as talked about above. Found out why corals look so bad. Was really suspicious when my Hammer SPS was closed up. I performed a water test and found out that my alkalinity went from 8.7 to 9.8
                            in less than a week. I disconnected from the doser so it will come down slowly. Thanks ALL

Comment

The quick increase of KH might indeed be the reason, make sure to not let it drop to quick, quick changes even if the correction is positive do stress the corals. Try to adjust the level to ~ 7. Give it about 2 weeks to drop.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                              X