Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I maximize SPS growth with Zeovit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I maximize SPS growth with Zeovit?

Hello all! This is my first time posting on this forum so I will try to make sure I include all of the appropriate information. I just recently converted my 40 gallon Innovative Marine All-In-One reef tank to start using some zeovit products back in the beginning of February 2020. I like the concept behind the system and I appreciate the desire to run a reef tank like the ocean. This tank is 1.5 years old and it is a mixed reef with a focus on SPS corals. My question here is what I can do to maximize the growth of my corals because for the most part they have been pretty slow growing. They are very healthy, colorful and have great polyp extension but they pretty much just sit there. I have some corals that are hardly bigger than when I got them even after several months. If anyone has any suggestions or comments on my regiment/products or how I can get the most growth please feel free to let me know! Thank you I’m advance!

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter - Approximately 40 gallons
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter - Approximately 35 gallons
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique - 2 part dosing with ESV B-ionic (currently 20 mL of each per day)
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) - No
    5. Are you using Ozone - No
    6. Are you using UV - No
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) - Tunze Comline DOC 9004 DC skimmer (rated for 40 gallons)
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels - NO3- 3ppm (salifert) PO4- 0.027ppm (Hanna ULR Phosphorus Checker)
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels - Ca- 420 ppm (salifert) Alk- 7.0 (Hanna Alk Checker) Mg- 1350 ppm (salifert)
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) - 2-3 inch sand bed, protein skimmer, rock, Brightwell Aquatics Xport bio cubes and Xport NO3 cubes
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) - ATI 6x24w fixture (3 ATI blue plus and 3 ATI coral plus) everything is new as January 2020
    12. What corals do you keep - Mainly SPS (acropora and montipora) but a few zoanthids and a few LPS
    13. Tissue color (light or dark) - I’d say medium but for zeovit I guess it’s dark 😝
    14. How long has the tank been running - 1.5 years
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system - I want to have a reef tank that runs like the ocean. I would also like to increase the growth rate of my coral and fill my little reef tank 🤣
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) - Just started adding 1 drop Lugols per day. I also adjust magnesium or potassium as needed
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) - 25 ish pounds of Caribsea Life Rock (1.5 years old) I wish I went with true live rock but I didn’t.
    18. Any present problems - Not necessarily a problem, Coral are healthy, but my growth is pretty slow.
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) - Corals are healthy and growing but it seems very slow compared to past experiences with an acropora dominated tank. I have frags that are still frag sized months to a year after receiving them.
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) - Salifert for all but Phosphorus which is Hanna
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) - Zeobak 1 drop every 3 days, ZeoStart3 4 drops per day (2 in the morning and 2 in the evening), Zeofood7 2 drops every other day, Pohl’s Xtra 1 mL per day, Pohl’s Coral Vitalizer 1 drop per day, Sponge Power 1 drop per day, Amino Acid High Concentrate 1 drop per day, Coral snow 1 mL per day
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) 35 ppt, 78F-81.5F, 400ppm Potassium
    23. Which salt brand do you use - Brightwell NeoMarine

I carefully read all the messages in # 1, I can't see any big problems, everything looks great.

I think there is more space.
    1. If the malnutrition is stable and good, the coral tissue should look white and light.
    2. In the Zeo nutrition plan, the daily dose of ZeoAA is 1 drop, which is really difficult to say, depending on the coral Appearance and system processing.
    3. The daily dose of Zeo CoralSnow 1ml, are you treating some problems?

These two points are additional questions:
    1. Activated carbon, what brand / how to use
    2. When was the last time the water was changed

Comment

Originally posted by jacky View Post
      I carefully read all the messages in # 1, I can't see any big problems, everything looks great.

I think there is more space.
      1. If the malnutrition is stable and good, the coral tissue should look white and light.
      2. In the Zeo nutrition plan, the daily dose of ZeoAA is 1 drop, which is really difficult to say, depending on the coral Appearance and system processing.
      3. The daily dose of Zeo CoralSnow 1ml, are you treating some problems?

These two points are additional questions:
      1. Activated carbon, what brand / how to use
      2. When was the last time the water was changed
      Thank you for the response! The coral tissue is definitely not the zeovit pastel color, it’s darker than that but it looks very good. I’ve attached some pictures for reference. I am not treating any problems per se with the coral snow just trying to help remove finer particulates. I use BRS ROX 0.8 activated carbon at 1/2 cup in a media back in the back chamber of the tank. Last water change was two weeks ago, I did 10 gallons with Brightwell NeoMarine salt.

Comment

This activated carbon brand, I have no experience in using it, can not say too much, I am not sure whether it is good, if it is me, try to use Zeo carbon to rule out the possibility of carbon.

Corals look healthy and have deep tissues. On the supplement of Zeo nutrition products, adjust the dosage of

Zeo Food 1 drop, once a week.

@1 drop of Zeo AA, 2 times a week

ESV B, unfortunately I do n’t know what this is, is it a separate element or an element containing trace elements

The lighting part looks good (if I understand correctly), how long has the lamp been used,How long is the lighting time

Brightwell Aquatics Xport biological cube and Xport NO3 cube. I'm sorry, I don't know what this product is. Not sure if it leaches extra nutrients or some substances inhibit coral growth

Do you use zeolite materials?

Is there a chance to measure the phosphate level again, just want to really know that it is malnourished

Comment

Hello Brendan and welcome to ZeoVit.com !

I would first try to use a different kind of carbon, as the investment is minimal because of the system size korallenzucht would be my first choice as I know this kind of carbon is working well. ROX carbon might also but I do not have experience with it.

You might also try to do three water changes each 20% within 10 days to add elements in a balanced way.

The spectrum of your light seems also to be very blue, some more “daylight” might cause a positive effect also.

How long is the lighting period ?

G.Alexander

Comment

This activated carbon brand, I have no experience in using it, can not say too much, I am not sure whether it is good, if it is me, try to use Zeo carbon to rule out the possibility of carbon.

Corals look healthy and have deep tissues. On the supplement of Zeo nutrition products, adjust the dosage of

Zeo Food 1 drop, once a week.

@1 drop of Zeo AA, 2 times a week

ESV B, unfortunately I do n’t know what this is, is it a separate element or an element containing trace elements

The lighting part looks good (if I understand correctly), how long has the lamp been used,How long is the lighting time

Brightwell Aquatics Xport biological cube and Xport NO3 cube. I'm sorry, I don't know what this product is. Not sure if it leaches extra nutrients or some substances inhibit coral growth

Do you use zeolite materials?

Is there a chance to measure the phosphate level again, just want to really know that it is malnourished

Here is the link for the carbon I use. It’s very popular here in the US and I have used it for many years but I will look into KZ carbon as well.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-...um-carbon.html

How come you suggest lowering the dosage of zeofood and amino acids? Just trying to understand.

ESV B-ionic is a two part with some trace elements. Here is the link.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/esv-b...er-system.html

The T5s are on for 10 hours each day.

The Xport cubes are meant to be more surface area for bacteria to colonize in addition to the rock in the tank. Here is the link.

https://brightwellaquatics.com/products/xport_bio.php
            https://brightwellaquatics.com/products/xport_no3.php

I do not use the zeolites because I was afraid of stripping my water too fast and I can’t fit a reactor in the back chamber of the tank.

The PO4 tested at 9ppb or 0.027ppm on my Hanna ULR Phosphorus Checker.

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
              Hello Brendan and welcome to ZeoVit.com !

I would first try to use a different kind of carbon, as the investment is minimal because of the system size korallenzucht would be my first choice as I know this kind of carbon is working well. ROX carbon might also but I do not have experience with it.

You might also try to do three water changes each 20% within 10 days to add elements in a balanced way.

The spectrum of your light seems also to be very blue, some more “daylight” might cause a positive effect also.

How long is the lighting period ?

G.Alexander
              Thank you! I shared the link above for the carbon if you’d like to check it out. I will be investigating the KZ carbon and we’ll. How do you feel about the Brightwell NeoMarine Salt since that is what I have on hand. My lighting is 10 hours at approximately 14k spectrum. Here are the links for the bulbs And fixture I use.

https://www.atinorthamerica.com/lighting/sunpower/
              https://www.atinorthamerica.com/lighting/t5-bulbs/

I use 3 blue plus and 3 coral plus.

Ive also attached a picture of the PAR values in my tank. The pictures do look more blue than in real life I’m still working on correcting it when I take a photo.

Comment

Because the coral as a whole does not seem to fully stretch / grow, relatively, the available nutrient consumption is naturally not much, plus the frequency of daily doses, the relative is much more.

Even though Zeo AA is in use, I have observed that it will not darken the coral tissue, but it should be good to reduce the dosage frequency

Coral growth = nutrients are more consumed

Coral does not grow = less nutrient consumption

It ’s difficult for me to express everything. In # 4, list the possible factors like this

Unbalanced and excess elements also inhibit coral growth. With well-balanced basic water, corals feel comfortable. So I asked, when was the last water change.

If everything is fine, maybe the lighting part (as G. Alexander said). If the lighting is too blue, it seems that the true colors of corals cannot be obtained.

Is the lamp tube already old?

There is also a possibility of pest problems.
                (Just a possibility)

Comment

Because the coral as a whole does not seem to fully stretch / grow, relatively, the available nutrient consumption is naturally not much, plus the frequency of daily doses, the relative is much more.

Even though Zeo AA is in use, I have observed that it will not darken the coral tissue, but it should be good to reduce the dosage frequency

Coral growth = nutrients are more consumed

Coral does not grow = less nutrient consumption

It ’s difficult for me to express everything. In # 4, list the possible factors like this

Unbalanced and excess elements also inhibit coral growth. With well-balanced basic water, corals feel comfortable. So I asked, when was the last water change.

If everything is fine, maybe the lighting part (as G. Alexander said). If the lighting is too blue, it seems that the true colors of corals cannot be obtained.

Is the lamp tube already old?

There is also a possibility of pest problems.
                  (Just a possibility)
                  So you are saying that because the corals are not growing quickly I should reduce the zeofood and amino acids to prevent buildup of excess nutrients? I was under the impression that the amino acids helped to increase growth.

The last water change was about two weeks ago at just over 30% tank volume with Brightwell NeoMarine salt.

The T5 bulbs are 4 months old. I copied the bulb combo from someone who showed very nice results in their tank. What would your 6 bulb combo be so that I can compare. The coral color seems pretty good to me for most of the pieces but the growth is just not where I think I should be.

As for pests I have done my best to inspect the corals and I don’t think I’ve noticed anything that would indicate a problem. All corals were dipped before going into the tank, so hopefully no problem here! 😁

Comment

If you are satisfied with the coral color, then keep your dosing plan without changing. Like I said, I'm in # 1, and I don't see too many problems. I try to help you find out the reason and any possibility. Let us try to change the water 3 times within 10 days, 20% each time. Refreshing the elements in a balanced manner can also stimulate coral growth. Carbon may be the reason, not clear, but you can try Zeo carbon.

An additional thought is: Has anything happened to the tank since its inception?

Comment

If you are satisfied with the coral color, then keep your dosing plan without changing. Like I said, I'm in # 1, and I don't see too many problems. I try to help you find out the reason and any possibility. Let us try to change the water 3 times within 10 days, 20% each time. Refreshing the elements in a balanced manner can also stimulate coral growth. Carbon may be the reason, not clear, but you can try Zeo carbon.

An additional thought is: Has anything happened to the tank since its inception?
                      Glad to hear that it doesn’t look like there is much trouble with my dosing. Maybe I will keep my dosing the same for now and do the water changes. I have saltwater mixing up so I can do my first of three water changes tomorrow. Do you think that the carbon may be pulling out too many elements? I am looking in to KZ carbon as well.

The only major issue that I had with this tank, except slow growth, is a dinoflagellate bloom around November 2019. It did some damage to my SPS but they are back and healthy again. Thank you for taking the time to try to help me figure out how to get better growth with the zeovit system I really appreciate it!

Comment

Generally, carbon should not adsorb elements. Some bad rough carbon stripped the elements in the water, or was too aggressive in use, may inhibit the expansion of coral polyps, without PE, if serious, coral tissue without skin (TN)

Dinos are really troublesome, people are disappointed, it looks like you have eliminated it, great.

I just clicked on the picture you posted, and it seems to have discovered the possibility again. I cannot say it at the moment, (because I am not sure). Let's change the water to refresh the balance first, and then use Zeo carbon.

Net water volume,35 US gallons = 140 liters

Zeo carbon,0.14 liters, use net bag, as for sump, passive flight, 30 days replacement.

Comment

Generally, carbon should not adsorb elements. Some bad rough carbon stripped the elements in the water, or was too aggressive in use, may inhibit the expansion of coral polyps, without PE, if serious, coral tissue without skin (TN)

Dinos are really troublesome, people are disappointed, it looks like you have eliminated it, great.

I just clicked on the picture you posted, and it seems to have discovered the possibility again. I cannot say it at the moment, (because I am not sure). Let's change the water to refresh the balance first, and then use Zeo carbon.

Net water volume,35 US gallons = 140 liters

Zeo carbon,0.14 liters, use net bag, as for sump, passive flight, 30 days replacement.
                          Luckily there have been no issues with retracted polyps or peeling tissue so far so hopefully that means the carbon isn’t too aggressive.

The Dino’s were definitely troublesome but I’m glad I finally beat them back. The tank did go through a rough spot.

I will do the three water changes and see where we are at. How long does it usually take for the zeovit method to get into full swing in the tank and start seeing the results of coral growth?

Comment

# 2 in links
                            https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...nformation-faq

It's really hard to say, I can't give you an answer. I personally think that it will start after the first zeolite material exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonMc2011 View Post

Thank you! I shared the link above for the carbon if you’d like to check it out. I will be investigating the KZ carbon and we’ll. How do you feel about the Brightwell NeoMarine Salt since that is what I have on hand. My lighting is 10 hours at approximately 14k spectrum. Here are the links for the bulbs And fixture I use.

https://www.atinorthamerica.com/lighting/sunpower/
                              https://www.atinorthamerica.com/lighting/t5-bulbs/

I use 3 blue plus and 3 coral plus.

Ive also attached a picture of the PAR values in my tank. The pictures do look more blue than in real life I’m still working on correcting it when I take a photo.
                              I can not really help you with the bulbs as I have not used ATI bulbs, you might replace one of the blue bulbs with a additional white bulb. Lets also try to increase the lighting period to 12 hours.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                              X