No announcement yet.

I'm back and trying out zeovit after a past failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Did my first zeovit exchange today, and switched to the KZ zeo carbon. Left 10 percent of the old media in the reactor. Next few weeks should be exciting to watch things progress with the proper flow rate through the reactor.

Comment

It looks good, please also remember that ZeoVit material and Zeo carbon are not recommended to be replaced at the same time, leaving the two separated by ㄧ weeks. If you encounter such a situation later, extend the carbon for a week.

Comment

I did not know that, next time I'll remember to change them with a week apart.

Comment

One week after correcting flow rate through my reactor and my levels have stayed pretty constant and are as follows:

Alkalinity: 7.17 dkh, I have my calcium reactor dialed in and is spot on every morning.
          Calcium: 435ppm
          No3: 5ppm
          Po4: less than .01ppm but not zero
          Potassium: 400ppm
          Magnesium: 1330

looks like I'm on the right track still. But random question, I read that I can't dose Xtra while dosing the coral system 1-4, is this correct?

Comment

I do not know the ingredients of the products but I would expect that the most elements which are contained in Xtra are a part of the Coral System also. Basically you can dose it additional, if you notice your corals tissue become to dark just skip it or reduce the dosage. Water parameters are looking really good now 👍

G.Alexander

Comment

How "cloudy" should the mulm make the water after shaking my zeovit stones? I'm having a hard time visually seeing the mulm which makes me wonder if I actually have any. I'm a week into my first zeovit exchange so maybe that's why? Or maybe it'll get better once the reactor is on 24 hours a day instead of the 3 hour intervals.

Comment

The mulm production does increase over the time the stronger the biology of the system is, give it some additional time.

G.Alexander

Comment

It appears that I'm starting to get an algae bloom. I turned my reactor on full time 24 hours a day, a week ago. Appears to be the early stages of cyano? But not sure. What should my approach be from here? My levels are as follows:

Calcium 390ppm system is using up more and I'm adjusting my calcium reactor
                  Alk 6.72 dkh again adjusting my reactor
                  Po4 undetectable
                  No3 5ppm
                  Mag 1380
                  Potassium 410

Corals appear to continue to encrust. I dose the following, zeobak 2x week 5 drops, zeostart .5ml 2x daily, sponge power 5 drops everyother day, coral vitalizer 12 drops 2x week, coral system 15ml 2x week, flatworm stop 10ml once a week.
                  ​​​​​

Comment

Lets first try to reduce the Coral System dosage to 50% for some time, also dose 2 ml Coral Snow / 25 US gallons every other day for about 2 weeks.

G.Alexander

Comment

No local stores have coral snow but I ordered it. I skipped a dosage of the coral system and will continue with 50% on the next scheduled dose. Whatever that algae was appears to have died off already. I'll still add the coral snow when I eventually receive it in the mail. Should be anything else I should think about adding? Or just let the system run using the few additives I currently use?

Comment

From the product description the Coral System does contain all necessary elements and if you are pleased with coral coloration and growth I would recommend to stay with the products you already use. Do you like to improve anything ?

G.Alexander

Comment

I'll run the course until I see something else I want to change. Growth could always be faster haha but that's just reefing!

Comment

I've adjusted my dosing after research with the zeovit booklet. I'm going to do a regular dose of coral snow every 3 days of 5ml and up my dosage of the coral system back to 10ml from 5ml. I want better coloration and I think the 5ml twice a week of the coral system isn't enough, but start to see an algae when I dose the coral system higher than 5ml. I read that coral snow should be an addition to the coral system. My plan is this regular dosage of coral snow keeps everything balanced, and the increase in coral system will give me better colors. Also doing 5ml of flatworm stop every other day instead of 10ml once a week. Thoughts on my approach here?

Comment

Specifically looking for better blue and red coloration in my acroporas

Comment

If you refer to blue coloration, a low K+ level or a leak of iodine could be the reason. Otherwise even if you dose Coral Snow more often you should not notice any negative impact from it. Which kind of algae do you observe if you increase the dosage of Coral System ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                                X