Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I safely raise Magnesium levels???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I safely raise Magnesium levels???

My levels are pretty low...iin the 1100's. How do you guys recommend I raise it safely?

I use Tropic Marin salt and I guess they're known to have low Mg levels in their mix. Getting my Mg levels in line is my last step before I am ready for Zeo!!!

Thanks in advance,

~ w
    Last edited by WayneL333; 02-05-2006, 09:38 PM.

I just read this over on reefcentral. I didn't realize tropic marin was that low in mag. It might explain my problems with my tank? I guess I need some help to!

Comment

I use the SeaChem Mag supplement. Seems to be the most efficient/economical. Much more so than the liquids. I have read that Epsom salts work too, but I won't use them. Lots have people have with success. IIRC, the main thing is don't use the ES too much as sulfate and other things will rise disporpotionately. I would also recommend using 10-15% of the total volume of your reactor in Mag chips, to help maintain levels. Keep in mind, that the chips in the Rx will not raise levels, just maintain them.

Marshal
      265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

Do you have to have a reactor to use mag chips? I wasnt sure if it was required to have Low PH to dissolve them or not. Thx!
        -Kurt

Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse
        kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it - Rex

Comment

There seems to be a good article about this in this month's Reefkeeping Magazine:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Comment

i use BIonic Mg, only because i use BIonic Ca/Alk additive. it seems like it raises Mg verrry slow though, so i'm thinking of swiching to something else. i also just switched my salt brand so we'll see how it goes.
            92 corner SPS BB, 2X250W Phoenix 14K/PFO dual HQI ballast, 2X95W URI actinic VHO/Ice-Cap 430, Euro-reef CS6-2, Iwaki 30RXT return, 4XTUNZE 6000 on MC,22g sump,135lb Fiji branch/Marshall Is. LR/ tank up 4/16/03

Comment

I have used (didnt see any negative effects from) epsom salts to initialy raise the Mg levels and then subsequently using Mg chips and the proper salt to maintain them. I wass using TM salt 100% and my Mg levels were 850; after a 4 pound bag of ES over 2 weeks it now reads 1350!

- Jamie
              120 Gallon Oceanic; 2 IceCap 660 w 8 Geiseman T5; GroTech Zeo Rx; MTC Ca Rx; 250 Ext BK; 8 Drops Bak / Food; 2ml Start 2.

Comment

I tested my mag. last night and it is 1230 from using tropic marin pro.

Comment

My mag reading is 1100 from using tropic marin pro...and I have 650g of total water volume. Pretty disappointing considering what I paid for that salt. Did anyone notice any visible signs from their corals from these low mag levels?

Comment

Did you two test your system water or newly mix water? I'm curious to know what their natural levels are in newly mixed water.

BTW, I just bought a gallon jug of Kent Tech M. Hopefully that will be enough to raise my levels to normal.

Comment

I tested my system water.

Comment

Same here. I do have some receeding going on in my tank. 2 water changes and another ready to go. I have carbon in a phosban reactor and it has slowed but not stopped. Is it related to the salt, I don't know?

Comment

Originally posted by lawpoke
                          My mag reading is 1100 from using tropic marin pro...and I have 650g of total water volume. Pretty disappointing considering what I paid for that salt. Did anyone notice any visible signs from their corals from these low mag levels?

Hi, from other's experiences, any parameter out of the NSW ranges in a nutrient-poor environment utilizing ZEOvit, will create coral stressors. Maintain Mg level at >1200<1400 & you'll be fine. Bob
                          "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

I was using Instant Ocean salt -Reef Crystals for years without any problems with Mg level. Then when I change to TM salt Mg level fall down to 1000. Now I'm adding Tropic Marin BIO Magnesium (powder) and level of Mg is growing up. Todays readings shows Mg level around 1200mg/L. I also use 0.5L od Grotech Magnesium pro additive in my Calcium reactor.

Comment

Good news Dejan. If you're staying with TM salt, you may need to increase the % of Mg granules in your Ca Rx. Bob
                              "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎