Which Butterfly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Butterfly?

Hey guys i have decided to take a risk here and try a deep water butterfly. I hear they are considered pretty safe, i mean they are from deep water and plantivore feeders.

so i have it narrowed down to these 2 species,

Tinker's (http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/but...kersbutterfly/)

or

Mitratus (http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/but...atusbutterfly/)

i am leaning towards the Mitratus because they stay smaller at about 5" compared to the 7" of the Tinker's....

also i like the colors better and would get a smaller Mitratus and watch it go through the color change. they have also been reported to live for 12 years in captivity.

anyway just wanted to get some opinions here.

thanks

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

FWIW, I heard that there were very small mitratus bflies in at the wholesalers. Which of coure means soon to a store near you....

You sure you don't wanna try something more along the lines of a pyramid or copper banded?
    10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
    BK400ext
    RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
    MRC kalkmixer
    IKS

Comment

Why do you say that Chuck? Do you think these things are just not that reef safe compared to say a copper band or pyramid?

thanks

Nick
      275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Well, in my tank anyways, they have eaten, zoos, trachyphillia, heliofungia so far. yesterday one took a bit of a toadstool friggin leather but then seemed to not like it, but.....

What the deepwater b'flies are known for is one being hardy and two relatively unusual. They are theorized as relatively reefsafe, and I'd put 'em on par with say a large angel.....in other words....you never know....
        10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
        BK400ext
        MRC kalkmixer
        IKS

Comment

Yeah i get what you are saying. Well since i aleady have a couple angels in the tank, i figure i can chance this.

I hope since i only have SPS mainly in the tank the butterfly wont pay attention to them. I dont care if it eats my 1 acan i have and 1 zoo frag or the 2 clams. Just as long as it stays away from the SPS.

I meant to ask should i feed it some nori, or some type of vegtable matter? i was not sure if they would benefit from that.

Also I have Sedar from phishybusiness.com getting me one. He said he would keep it with SPS and some other misc coral (LPS,zoos, clams) for 2 weeks to see what it does. Now i know he is a vendor, but so far all the angels i have got from him never took a nip at my corals....

What size is best in your opinion Chuck? I was thinking small to medium would be best?

thanks

Nick

Comment

Mitratus are putatively fairly bulletproof. As long as they aren't killed by anything in your tank, I dunno size matters except as it relates to your tank size.

They don't really pick at algae in my tank. They are protein eaters. mysis, gamma shrimp, ****le and mussel and formula foods. They like pellet and flake as well.
            10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
            BK400ext
            MRC kalkmixer
            IKS

Comment

Thanks Chuck,

Will do, I will keep you posted on how mine does.

are they easy to pair up or can you not tell the difference in sex?

thanks

Nick

Comment

beats me. I like to ask my fish. "Hey baby you lookin' good tonight". If I get a giggle I figure girl, if I get splashed in the face I figure man. I could be wrong though....
                10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
                BK400ext
                MRC kalkmixer
                IKS

Comment

Haha I will try that an see how it works for me, haha

thanks for all the help Chuck.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                  X