No announcement yet.

A couple questions before I jump in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple questions before I jump in...

Hi, my name is Matt & I am very interested in trying out the Zeovit method.
    I have been doing research on this site & I have a couple questions before I start with the questionaire.
    1: With the in-sump reactor, how high does the water level have to be so the Zeoliths are covered, & which is the hotter setup, out of sump or in sump? ( I have a total water volume of approx 200 gallons)
    2: I can be away from my tank for up to a week at a time. I can get a fellow reefer to come over every third or fourth day, but cant count on any more frequency than that. Is there such a reactor that doesnt require the zeolith to be " cycled " once or twice a day? If so, please give a link....
    3: Does everyone charge the same for all the zeovit products, & is there one place better than others to buy it? ( PM's are OK on this one, if desired)

Thanks , Matt

Zeovit products all cost the same. As for the reactor the water level would have to be hight than the zeoliths in ordr for them to stay covered unless the reactor has a check valve. If you leave for a while dont worry about the system it will be ok if left alone for a week.
    Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

Greetings All !

mufflerguy ...

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
      Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Can anyone else elaborate on these questions?
        thanks, Matt

Comment

Hi Matt, welcome to our forum

I try to give you some answers to the questions:

1. The main problem is the optional on off interval of the pump for the reactor to force nutrient reduction. This technique is used by most users until they reach phase 3. Here you can find a explanation to the different phases explained by Bob:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263

So the main problem is if the pump is switched off, the water level in the rector will fallen off to the water level of the sump. The ZeoVit stones should not be exposed to the air so the calculation for the minimum water level of the sump depends to the used quantity of zeolites and the diameter of the rector chamber. I would recommend to ask a reactor dealer for the correct amount, while they are all a little bit different. For a net water volume of 200 gallons I would recommend to use around 1.8 liters zeolite (ZeoVit) with a water flow through the reactor of about 170 gallons per hour.

2. A dosing break for a 2 week period is not a problem at all. Same with mixing up the zeolite which is recommended to be done daily. If possible do both regularly but if there is a break do not care to much.

3. I do not have any experiences with the US dealers but what I have hear until now they all provide a excellent sevrvice.

If you decide to use the system, just answer the questions from this thread to get a calculated dosing recommendation:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14

G.Alexander

Comment

Hey what type of mufflerguy are you ? I am also a muffler guy here in St Louis

John

Comment

Quality Muffler & Brake is the name of my business, I started it 14 years ago.
              We custom bend just about everything, low prices, good service , & we dont sell extra or stiff anybody.
              Its the reason I can afford this hobby....

Comment

Hey mufflerguy, nice to see you over here. Glad to see you took my advice and are looking into Zeovit. Hopefully it works out for you. I am seriously considering starting it soon myself. I am just short on funds atm and am going to have to take it slow. I think im going to build a reactor first though...Then buy some supps
                -Kurt

Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse
                kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it - Rex

Comment

Cool I own a Meineke Car Care . We do full service but I am one of the best custom bender in my area . Go to hear its not a dyeing art .

John

Comment

It is a dying art , for sure!!!!
                    I'll bet you get killed on franchise fees.
                    I worked at Speedy Muffler for 4 years, & when I turned 21, I decided to start Quality muffler (no kids or wife to support back then). It was so-so the first couple years, but I grew steadily, & 14years later, I have myself & 3 employees, we do an average of 20-25 cars a day, (even in the winter season) & I'm the busiest shop in all of Worcester. ( There are 2 midas shops, Mienekes, & Monro shops in the city as well) Bending most everything helps me to keep the prices down.
                    Anyway, sorry to take the thread off the intended topic.
                    Does the single chamber (DIY with PVC) really get jammed with the Zeolith that bad?
                    I plan on making my own & filling out the thread on what I need for flow, dosing, etc...
                    Thanks again for all the feedback, Matt

Comment

Yea fees suck and no the chamber doesn't get real clogged .I would suggest you make it real strong with a strong handle so you can still move it when it gets a little sticky though . I made mine with supplys from home depot you have one of those where your at ?

I can send you a picture with everything I used to make mine if your interested .

John

Comment

Pleas send it over, I do have a home depot & Lowes close by, I built my sump, Frag tank & plumbing from all the stuff they sell.
                        please post the pic & list, or send it to [email protected]
                        Whats your tank volume, & how much does the reactor hold?
                        Is it in sump, or external, pump size, flow rate, etc...
                        Its funny that your a mufflerdude reef nut, like me. What are the chances of that!!!!!!!

Thanks, Matt

Comment

Hi John, any luck with pics?
                          I would like to get started consructing the reactor tommorow. I would like to know how high 2 liters of stones measures in the reactor you built, that way I will know if it fits within my waterline of my sump.
                          Thanks, Matt

Comment

I sent you a email yesterday .Did you get it ?

Comment

You will need a oneway valve in the supply line to keep the stones covered at all times . I would go with a one inch line size if you go with a smaller size I don't think you will get the flow you need through your stones .I may be wrong I think the size of your pump feeding your reactor has a lot to do with it. here is a picture of the one I built

AND THE SUPPLYS I USED

Hope this helps you will need to get some sealer for the sections on the main body to mine started leaking shortly anfter I made it so seal all the large body sections .

You can email me at [email protected] if I can help in anyway .From one muffler guy to another .
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X