Uhh ohh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uhh ohh

Yesterday I tested my tank water with my hydrometer and noticed my salt was really low at 1.018. I confirmed this reading with a second hydrometer and decided to add some salt. Instead of mixing the salt I poured it into my sump in a location that I thought would not be picked up by the pump until it was dissolved. I apparently was wrong because I woke up this morning and noticed that the base of my one coral colony had lost a good amount of tissue and was white. The salinity raised to 1.022. My question is, will this tissue continue to die off or should it begin to regrow as conditions stabilize?
    You're Norma Desmond you used to be big.

I am big it's the pictures that got small.

From the classic movie "Sunset Boulevard"

Brad, your problems might just be starting with you doing that.. i am sure that your dKH was out of whack also and I am sure this caused a spike in it.. For me I have noticed the BIGGEST problems I have ever had were due to dKH issues.. I noticed the worst effects 7-14 days after the fact. Did u happen to test all other params before doing this? Have you calibrated you hydro with ro/di to make sure it accurate? I calibrated my nephews and his was off .04. Now he just adds .04 to his readings and I occasionally check his tank with my refrac. Please list all other params if you did check them all.

Jeff

Comment

Yes I did test some of the parameters before and after.

Before:

Calc. 420
      Alk. 6.4

After:

Calc. 500
      Alk. 7

Comment

Haven't calibrated my hydrometer but I checked the salinity with two seperate ones and they both came up the same.

Comment

Brad, is that meg ALK or 6.4 dKH.. I am sure you meant dKH. I do not see that being that bad of a swing but you might look into a new salt as those numbers for dKH and Ca are way out of whack. What salt are you using and whats your MG #? Also if you can run the dKH at 7 that is a good number 6.4 is acceptable but low and does not give much leniency if your test kit is a little off..

Jeff

Comment

Hey Jeff,

Sorry about that, yes it is DKH. I am using and always have been using Oceanic. Normally my parameters are correct with Calc. at 6.5 and Alk. at 420-410. It is just when I added the extra salt I screwed things up. They should rebalance themselves i believe. My Oceanic tests at Calc. 420 Alk. 7.6. I didn't test the magnessium but I could do so today. Do you think the coral has a chance to survive or did the parameters swing too far in too little of a time period?

Comment

Brad depending on the health of the coral before the event I would think it should pull through. .6 swing is DEF higher then I would like to see overnight but these sps are much stronger then we think.. If the recession continues superglue above the RTN line about 1/2'-1" or cut some frags and see if the base pulls through.... If it was a wild colony survival rate would be less then a captive specimen...

Jeff

Comment

Working...
              X