TDS meter readings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDS meter readings?

Just put a dual TDS meter on my RO/DI system. My question in this: My input reading is 323 ppm and my out reading is 10ppm. Should the out read absolute zero, with the current reading of 10 ppm indicating a filter change is necessary? Or does the reading just need to be significantly lower than the "in" reading (323 - 10 = way-better water)?

Thanks for your help!

- Jamie
    120 Gallon Oceanic; 2 IceCap 660 w 8 Geiseman T5; GroTech Zeo Rx; MTC Ca Rx; 250 Ext BK; 8 Drops Bak / Food; 2ml Start 2.

What type of unit is it? How many stages does it have?

do you have a DI unit on this?

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Nick:

Its a single stage Kent Marine Hi-S 60 gpd with one Hi-S DI cartridge at the end.

- Jamie
      120 Gallon Oceanic; 2 IceCap 660 w 8 Geiseman T5; GroTech Zeo Rx; MTC Ca Rx; 250 Ext BK; 8 Drops Bak / Food; 2ml Start 2.

Comment

hmm. Just bought one here. In =160, out = 13. I thought that was pretty good.

Comment

I do not think 10-13 is ideal.

personally i will only use water that is 0-1 TDS and i do not like to use water with a TDS of 1. only if i really have to.

personally i would try to change out the filters.

you might consider upgrading to a unit with more stages.

i like buckeyefieldsupply.com

i have a 6 stage unit with an extra DI stage. so a toal of 7 stages 2 being DI.....

oh BTW i have 345 TDS IN and 0 TDS out just to give you an idea on what a good unit will do for you....

Nick
          275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Nick:

Thanks. I just read the same thing in an article in ReefKeeping Magazine that said basically the same thing. Here's a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Thanks again Nick.

Jamie

Comment

Not a problem.

Nick

Comment

The RO alone will not give you absolute zero. I believe the end product will be around 5% TDS of the incoming. So 10 out of the RO tells me the RO and prefilters are within acceptable range. Mine comes out of RO at 11 with 645 in. You need to replace your DI cartridge. The DI will remove the last remaining TDS from the RO. If you can get that number lower, the DI will last longer. If you can keep your RO/DI unit from cycling alot, this too will help.

Marshal
                265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

Thanks for the link, learned a lot (including the fact that I need new DI resin)

Comment

Marshal:

I think my conclusion leads me to replacing the DI cartridge as well. Thanks for your suggestions and analysis.

JnFallon: Glad I could help on this site for once... I usualy am the one asking for it.

- Jamie

Comment

Working...
                    X