Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i'm ready to start zeo- about my tank...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i'm ready to start zeo- about my tank...

Please give us answers to the following questions in order to get more accurate dosing recommendations.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.)92g tank w/ 22g sump
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.)aprox 80g(aprox 70 in tank(150Lb LR )and 10g in sump
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique- no, use b ionic daily
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)- no
    5. Are you using Ozone- no
    6. Are you using UV-no
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)- euroreef cs6-2 500gph
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels- PO4 0.0-0.1, NO3 undetectable
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels- ca 420, alk 8-9dkh, mg 1100-1200
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)-DSB
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)2X250W 14K MH w/ 2X95W actinic VHO
    12. What corals do you keep, at the moment only a few sps(acro and monti) and a few LPS- in future predominantly sps
    13. Tissue color (light or dark)light
    14. How long has the tank been running-almost 3 years
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system- nutrient removal and coloration
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) bioinic and lugols, turbo ca if needed and bioinic Mg if needed
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)-150lb, almost 3yr
    18. Any present problems - a few cases of STN suspected, removed a few sps due to this, small amt of colonial hydroids i'm battling, little bubble algae
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) mostly base moving up, very little algae, alttle bubble algae i keep after, hydroids-not much
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) new salifert ca, alk, mg, no3, pof
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)- not yet
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) 1.023-1.024, 80-81 in winter, 81-83 in summer
    92 corner SPS BB, 2X250W Phoenix 14K/PFO dual HQI ballast, 2X95W URI actinic VHO/Ice-Cap 430, Euro-reef CS6-2, Iwaki 30RXT return, 4XTUNZE 6000 on MC,22g sump,135lb Fiji branch/Marshall Is. LR/ tank up 4/16/03

couple other things, i have aprox 25X turnover rate( iwaki return, set at aprox 750gph, 6 MJ1200s. thinking about adding a tunze stream 6000. I HAVE NO ROOM FOR AN IN SUMP OR EXTERNAL REACTOR, ZEO HAS TO BE USED IN SUMP, EITHER IN SOCK OR OTHER SUMP AREA.
    92 corner SPS BB, 2X250W Phoenix 14K/PFO dual HQI ballast, 2X95W URI actinic VHO/Ice-Cap 430, Euro-reef CS6-2, Iwaki 30RXT return, 4XTUNZE 6000 on MC,22g sump,135lb Fiji branch/Marshall Is. LR/ tank up 4/16/03

Comment

i also use crystal seas salt since day 1. at the time it was the "best" salt. haven't heard much about it since. not sure if this can be possible reason for some sps loss due to suspected stn. i did get lazy w/ water changes when my wife gave birth. for past few months i'm doing weekly 10% water changes and am obsessed w/ tank again.
      - i read alot here use seachem salt. is it recommended i switch b4 starting zeo?

Comment

Hi DMK[your name plz.] with the ZEOvit method the parameters mirror those of NSW, Ca >400<450/Mg>1200<1400/KH 6-8 but very stable/salinity 1.023-.26. Please adjust your parms inline before beginning ZEOvit & if you decide to change to SeaChem salt, do so very gradually. I do not recommend any "enriched-formula" salts, such as Reef Crystals or TM Pro-reef as the extra elements may result in algae & darkening of your corals in a nutrient-poor environment that ZEOvit provides. For your system, we'll begin a little conservative on dosing as you have an established reef with some sequestered nutrients that must be depleted slowly:

1)place 3/4 Cup carbon in a filter sock, passively in your sump, kneaded 3x's/wk & exchanged monthly.
        2)place 3/4 ltr ltr. zeolites in a zeo-reactor with a flow rate of ~ 75gph. A little more or less is fine. As previously discussed on some of your old threads here, the stones can be placed in a Fluval canister or in a filter sock in a high flow area. Cycle the reactor on & off at 3hr. intervals, being sure the stones always stay submerged under the waterline in your reactor. Clean the zeolites 1-2x's/day & exchange them every 6wks.
        3)dose 2 drops Bak/Food daily for the 1st 2wks, then 2x's/wk. Dose these in front of the reactor pump when "on". Turn off your skimmer for 60min after dosing these.
        4)dose .1ml Start2 2x's/day near the reactor pump. It is not necessary to turn off the skimmer when just dosing Start2
        5)optional but recommended: dose 3 drops AAHC & 8 drops C-V daily, directly into your display tank.

Ask questions as they appear, as there are now many experienced with the ZEOvit method, Bob
        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

There isn't much I can add to Bob's post other than a few bits of advice.

GO SLOW ie conservative dosing. Too rapid of nutrient depletion is a bad thing, trust me on this one. Listen closely to Bob's dosing/placement recommendations, He Da Man with this stuff.

Prepare for some washing out/lightening of overall coral coloration. It seems to be bearing out that Potassium is used very quickly in the nutrient poor conditions Zeo allows us to maintain. More so with aggressive skimming. All salts are low in potassium and it appears that a potassium supplement is necessary (K-Balance or K+ as it is sometimes called.)

If your getting any reading from a Salifert P04 test kit, you can bet that your levels are somewhere around .06-.08. A Hanna Colorimeter is a very nice gadget, but not absolutely necessary. If you can afford one, you should get it. I had non-detectable readings from Salifert kit and my P04 was running >.08 until I started using Hanna meter and Zeo.

Obviously, if you run the Zeolites in a bag in the sump, you won't be able to cycle 3hrs on 3hrs off, but not really a biggie, it just speeds up the process a bit. Turn that skimmer off when you dose the bak and food, keep the bac in the fridge.

Read the Zeo guidelines carefully as well as many threads here and to reiterate Bob's statement, any questions post up.

Marshal
          265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

i was thinking how am i going to cycle 3 on 3 off w/ no reactor. no big deal???
            should i place zeo right in overflow sock or in another part of sump? can i still have good results w/ no reactor? all i should start w/ is the basic 4 and carbon, right?
            - i just tested my water, Ca 420, Mg 1200, salinity 1.024, Alk 8dkh. i think i'm ready. what's up aged salt, i know i've been lurking around for awhile saying i'm ready but now i really am. by the way my name is Dennis, i am a reefer, and yes i am an addict. i got quite laze from may-oct, due to new son, but now i am back to my old obsessed reefer mentality and i like it. weekly 10% water changes for awhile now. removed all zoos, have 4 LPS pieces, fragged alot of sps due to STS. got rid of some, glued nicer ones in LR. everything's doing fine but DSB is almost 3 years old and i figure i better start zeo now before nutrients take over, although PO4 is undetectable. will not add any more sps until i'm doing zeo for a few months. i will be adding a RBTA next week though, and once it's settled a pair of clowns. RBTA shouldn't mind the zeo, right?

Comment

Welcome Dennis. Sorry I don't have any of those fancy graphic things but I'm sure the mods will take care of that. It is my understanding that the Z method is effective even in the sock. I would put it more passively in the sump as only minimal flow is desired. I now ran my reactor 24/7 with no ill effects. The recommendation is to help reduce P04 quicker. But is not necessary. Your params are right in line and looks like your ready to roll. The basic 4 is all. Bak/Food7/Zeo stones and Start 2. My RBTA does very well in my Zeo tank as well as all LPS. After the first change out (6 weeks) consider using the AAHC and PIF as this will help with coloration. You will be amazed at the increased water clarity after just the first couple days. I completely concur with Bob's dosing recommendations, but then again, my only experience is with my own tank.

You wont be sorry you came to the "Zeo side".
              Marshal
              265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

i can't F'n wait!!! i'll let u guys know when i order and upon startup. if u guys think of anything else i may need to know, please feel free. i'm sure i'll have more questions.

Comment

without a zeo reactor, you wont get what you would get with a reactor, here is a link to Eric's experince with and without a reactor, while both work the reactor is the way to go,
                  http://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300

Comment

Hi Dennis, you're good to goBTW, thnx. for the name --DMK seems too impersonal on our forum.Bob
                    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Originally posted by Heinz
                      without a zeo reactor, you wont get what you would get with a reactor, here is a link to Eric's experince with and without a reactor, while both work the reactor is the way to go,
                      http://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300
                      i know but i stated i have NO room, in or out of sump.

Comment

do u guys recommend i use it in sump or in something like a fluval? a fluval is ALL i have any room for, although right in sump would definately be easiest. space under a 92 corner is cramped as it is w/ sump, plumbing and return pump.

Comment

1 liter of zeolith will fit in a Phosban reactor. Just a thought. only about 3 inches around and will hang on side of sump. Much smaller than a fluval. Obviously the sock is not the prefferred method. I don't think the Fluval would facilitate 2x daily stirring very conveniently.

Comment

who sells these? this interests me. never seen 1.

Comment

never mind, just found 1 on line. looks good but it says needs flow rate of aprox 80gph w/ something like a MJ1200. is 80gph enough to run zeo. what's flow rate on a zeo reactor?

Comment

Working...
                              X