Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help planning 30g cube Zeo tank...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help planning 30g cube Zeo tank...

Hello

Im in the process of planning a 30g zeo tank that will reside in my office. I am going to use some equipment from my 180g tank that will be broken down later this month (baby on the way and have no time for such a large tank!).

So I have a few questions...

What do I need to get started and at what doses?

I plan on using a two part to keep Ca and Alk up...will that suffice and what would be a good product to keep Mg up?

The tank will have no sump...the tunze 9010 skimmer that I have will be mounted inside of the tank...so what would be a good reactor to use? I saw someone on this board post a link to a canister filter used for turtle tanks that had the right specs for flow and the ability to turn the media (to some extent). If I used something like that, could I run carbon in it as well? If so, should they go (zeolites and carbon) in a specific order?

Im planning on using MH for lighting...probably a 150w fixture (coralife mount-on tank) or a 250w pendant. I'd like to have a nice white bulb as I was unhappy with my last purchase...14ks that were too blue for my taste...at least compared to my previous bulbs that were 13k Geismanns (loved the color on them!). Anybody have suggestions?

The tank will be BB...maybe starboard. Ive seen the ceramic backdrops that look really nice and I was thinking of using them on the back of the tank. Anybody know where I can get one for a Oceanic 30g cube? Does it have to be custom made?

Im planning on all SPS, maybe an LPS or two...with no fish...or one at the most (6-line later down the road) and I'll probably just get some rock from my LFS. I could use some rock from my old tank but I fear that there are excessive phosphates locked in as the tank was a primarily soft tank with many fish. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
    Bill

What do I need to get started and at what doses?
    Bill I would recommend to start with the basics: ZeoVit (zeolite) – ZeoBac – ZeoFood – ZeoStart2 and activated carbon.

As your tank is 30 gallons brut, the net volume of the tank is around 24 gallons.

Place 0.2 liters ZeoVit in a filter with a maximum water flow of 24 gallons per hour for the first 4 weeks.

Place 0.1 liters carbon in a filter sock to a passive water flow anywhere in the system.

As you start the system from the scratch dose for the first 3 days:

4 drops ZeoBac
    4 drops ZeoFood
    1 ml ZeoStart2 in the morning and 1 ml ZeoStart2 in the evening

After the first 3 days dose:

1 drop ZeoBac 2 x weekly
    1 drop ZeoFood 2 x weekly
    0.1 ml ZeoStart in the morning and 0.1 ml in the evening

After the first 4 week cycle the dosage has to be adjusted, depending to any overdosing signs. Please report if you notice and brown film on sand and / or air bubbles on the rocks.

I plan on using a two part to keep Ca and Alk up...will that suffice and what would be a good product to keep Mg up?
    Personally I do not like them but their impact on the element balance could be lowered by regular water changes. I would recommend about 4 gallons weekly with a well balanced salt in this case. Alternative a small CaCO2 reactor like the Schuran Pico would work fine to keep the levels stabile:

Some additional information to the CaCO2 reactor can be found here:

http://www.schuran.com/index_seawater_e.htm

The tank will have no sump...the tunze 9010 skimmer that I have will be mounted inside of the tank...so what would be a good reactor to use? I saw someone on this board post a link to a canister filter used for turtle tanks that had the right specs for flow and the ability to turn the media (to some extent). If I used something like that, could I run carbon in it as well? If so, should they go (zeolites and carbon) in a specific order?
    Please make sure you use the correct water flow though the zeolite. Something similar would work fine:

Im planning on using MH for lighting...probably a 150w fixture (coralife mount-on tank) or a 250w pendant. I'd like to have a nice white bulb as I was unhappy with my last purchase...14ks that were too blue for my taste...at least compared to my previous bulbs that were 13k Geismanns (loved the color on them!). Anybody have suggestions?
    Personally I would use the BLV / Ushio 14k. The light is bright and white.

The tank will be BB...maybe starboard. Ive seen the ceramic backdrops that look really nice and I was thinking of using them on the back of the tank. Anybody know where I can get one for a Oceanic 30g cube? Does it have to be custom made?
    Please PM Gary or Scott from Captiveoceans (Ger/scottw). They are selling the ceramic in the US.

Im planning on all SPS, maybe an LPS or two...with no fish...or one at the most (6-line later down the road) and I'll probably just get some rock from my LFS. I could use some rock from my old tank but I fear that there are excessive phosphates locked in as the tank was a primarily soft tank with many fish. Any advice?
    I would recommend just fresh live rock.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

A few more questions if you dont mind

The flow rate that you suggest for the zeolites seems lower than what I have seen in the guidebook. I believe that 50-100 gph was recommended. So you are saying more like 25? Could both zeolites and carbon be run passively on a HOT filter like an Aquaclear? I have very limited space and I won't be running a sump so Im trying to keep it simple.

You suggest a balanced salt mix...currenly I am using IO which lacks a bit on the Ca side. Should I be looking for another brand or mixing a couple of different brands?

Also, since this tank will be at my office...are there any negative effects from not maintaining the system over the weekend?

Thanks in advance!
      Bill

Comment

Bill the recommended flow rate in the guide is 400 liters (~105 gallons) per hour for each liter zeovit. Following the guide 0.2 liters ZeoVit need a maximum water flow of 80 liters (~21 gallons) per hour. A little bit less or more is not a problem.

The ZeoVit (zeolite) should be placed in a active water flow which gives better results than placing it in a passive flow area. You also could use a small external canister filter with the correct flow rate if your space in the tank is limited. The carbon has to be placed in a passive water flow, active would absorb to many elements which is more bad as good.

I do not have any experience with most of the US salt mixes. Bob (Aged Salt) for example uses a mixture of Instant Oceans and Oceanic with perfect results. Please refer to this thread:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4443

As long as your technical setup works well, I do not see any problem with leaving the tank alone over the weekend. Maybe you can add something to monitor the system over the weekend, while a power failure, for example on Friday, would crash the tank completely.

G.Alexander

Comment

Okay...I get it now I forgot to divide by 5

Thanks for the link to the salt mix. I am going to consider doing a 50/50 mix of Oceanic and IO. Just curious though...have you ever used Sera salt mix? Im pretty sure that is more of a European salt but is available a place near me.

So it looks like I will need a small hang on filter to run carbon passively and a small canister filter that I can run the zeolites in. Im still looking for something that I can open up easily and shake up the media.

Anybody using a refugium on their Zeo tanks? Any benefits?

Thanks
          Bill

Comment

Bill, I have used many European salt mixes but not sera. There are not a lot which worked well for me. Finally I use Preis salt or korallenzucht salt.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎