Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience w/ Centropyge joculator?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience w/ Centropyge joculator?

Hey guys i cant find any info on these guys.

anyone kept a Joculator angel? or have any good info on it?

just want to make sure it will get along with my female Interruptus angel (also a from the centropyge family).....

what do you think?

heres a link to alittle info about it,

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/ang...torpygmyangel/

thanks guys

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Damn, Nick, what your local police station's & animal shelters's ph.#'s Don't think that's a good idea with the interuptus Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Haha,

the only thing that has me worried is the interuptus.

i see so many with mutiple Centropyge angels, just not sure if i want to risk it with already having a big Centropyge in there now. The interuptus is a good 4.5" so its the biggest Centropyge there is. Not sure how it would act if i tried the Joculator since the interuptus has been in there a good month now.....

Nick
      275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

I have a brazillian flamback angel with my mulitibarred and not one act of aggression to date. But the multibarred is in a seperate cetropyge class.
        180 mixed reef, extreme 40gal frag tank, 33 gal sump,30 gal fuge, profilux plus II controller,profilux doser, GEO 618 CA/RX tunze 6100's, BK 250 internal, 2 400watt halides, 4 blue plus t-5's on icecap ballast, I run GFO, and dose vodka,sugar, and vinigar with ammino acids, and use somewhat of the balling method.

Comment

i didnt think there were seperate cetropyge classes, care to elborate alittle on it?

what class is the Joculator and the Interuptus in?

thanks

Nick

Comment

The multibarred is in a seperate class along with a really rare pygme angel. (Cant remember the name) The species is a Paracentropyge. They look similar but the other has red and white stripes with no yellow on its belly.
            Its the rarest of the pygme angels from what i read.
            I dont have my book here but i think both yours and the joc are centropyge.
            180 mixed reef, extreme 40gal frag tank, 33 gal sump,30 gal fuge, profilux plus II controller,profilux doser, GEO 618 CA/RX tunze 6100's, BK 250 internal, 2 400watt halides, 4 blue plus t-5's on icecap ballast, I run GFO, and dose vodka,sugar, and vinigar with ammino acids, and use somewhat of the balling method.

Comment

Oh and i see someone is breeding the interruptus and alot of other cool species of pygme's. Like the multibarred (They are out of those though) and colini, and resplendens. A tank raised multifasciatus is ideal because as i read alot of info that they dont make the transition, and are seldom seen.
              The f1's are the opposite eating everything and aways seen.

Comment

Greetings All !

Originally posted by nbd13
                ... the only thing that has me worried is the interuptus.
                While I've never keep this species personally, in terms of the literature there might be something else to worry about. It seems that Centropyge joculator also has a "more developed taste" taste for coral polyps that many other Centropyge species do.

Check out this food record for Centropyge joculator on fishbase.org ...
                Food Item Summary for Centropyge joculator

I found marinecenter's diet listing as a little incomplete ... but the $0.00 price seemed unusually reasonable. Other documented food items in the wild include benthic algae, zooplankton, and ascidarians ... LINK.

The "general" fishbase.org species summary for Centropyge joculator is ... LINK.

BTW ... you might want to check out this Vendor Experience thread regarding themarinecenter ... LINK. Also, their price structure seems interesting ... the hybrid pygmy angel that they're selling for $149.99 (LINK) retails out of the LFS that I work for at $69.99. They are, however, correct in that they are relatively rare at the 104th street wholesalers.

JMO .. HTH
                "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
                Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Hey guys thanks.

I would not be getting this fish through the marinecenter. i have never delt with them nor do i want to.

Gary that first link you posted doesnt work, this one

"Food Item Summary for Centropyge joculator"

do you mind fixing it?

anyway still debating this one. not sure if i have or want to drop this kind of cash for this fish...... the jury is still out i guess.

also not too sure i like what i hear about it eating polyps....

thanks guys.

Nick

Comment

Greetings All !

Okay ... this is where I have a real chance of being perceived as rude, arrogant, and obnoxious, despite not intending to be any of those things. If the following comes across that way to anyone ...

... please accept multiple apologies up front ...

That being said, I have this "thing" about marine ornamental taxonomy. I'm trying to get over it, but the doctors say there's really not anything that can be done ...

... The species is a Paracentropyge.
                    Paracentropyge is a genus.

i didnt think there were seperate cetropyge classes, care to elborate alittle on it?
                    There are not any separate "classes" of Centropyge. The class for all dwarf angels is Actinopterigii.

The full taxonomic hierarchy currently looks like this:

Kingdom: Animalia
                    Phylum: Chordata
                    Subphylum: Vertebrata
                    Superclass: Osteichthyes
                    Class: Actinopterygii
                    Subclass: Neopterygii
                    Infraclass: Teleostei
                    Superorder: Acanthopterygii
                    Order: Perciformes
                    Suborder: Percoidei
                    Family: Pomacanthidae
                    Genus: Centropyge
                    Genus: Paracentropyge

This hierarchy for Centropyge and Paracentropyge was obtained from ... LINK. BTW, for any Amercian who wants to see their tax dollars hard at work ... or anyone else, for that matter ... you might want to check out the ITIS (Integrated Taxonomic Information System), hosted by the USDA. Pretty useful sometimes.

The question as to whether or not there exist two genera of dwarf angels (Centropyge and Paracentropyge) is currently a little unclear. For example, the ITIS lists Paracentropyge as a valid name (Burgess, 1991). But if you go to fishbase.org, you'll see that only Centropyge is considered to be valid (LINK). Go figure ...

... welcome to the wacky world of "taxonomists at play" ... :shoot7: :destroy:

JMO ... HTH ... No Offense
                    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Greetings All !

... Gary that first link you posted doesnt work, this one

"Food Item Summary for Centropyge joculator"

do you mind fixing it? ...
                      The Fishbase.org server is a flaky beast. No problem, but ... it works for me ...

Try it again, and if it still doesn't work, you can access the page by going to the general "species summary" page in the previous post, and clicking the "Food Items" link in the "More Information" section on the lower part of the page.

HTH
                      Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Intresting, well i did alittle looking around and found some intresting stuff.

if you look at all the Centropyge angels (Flame, bicolor, cherub, golden, and so on) about half of them are listed on fishbase.org to eat coral polyps, but yet so many have them in there reefs.

Gary do you think it has something to do with the fact that fishbase.org list only 6-20% of their diet eating coral polyps? I mean it listed the Flame and bicolor as eating coraly polyps, but yet so many keep them in their reef tanks?

anyway i guess its just one of those "luck" things? the crap shoot, or 50/50 type thing which is what i am guessing is going on here?

the only thing i could possibly use to justify this purchase is the fact that it only says 6-20% of their diet comes from coral polyps...... dont know if thats enough to justify this or not. Maybe i will get lucky, but i mean let me be honest with myself here. I am NOT a lucky person, haha

anyway thanks for the links Gary and useful taxonomy lesson! always love those!

Nick

P.S. dont worry about the link i figured it out. thanks

Comment

Greetings All !

P.S. dont worry about the link i figured it out. thanks
                          No worries ... it's not us. It's the Fishbase.org server. It is a querky cyber-beast, to say the least. Not that I'm ungrateful for it ... it's an outstanding reference resource.

... do you think it has something to do with the fact that fishbase.org list only 6-20% of their diet eating coral polyps? I mean it listed the Flame and bicolor as eating coraly polyps, but yet so many keep them in their reef tanks? ... anyway i guess its just one of those "luck" things? the crap shoot, or 50/50 type thing which is what i am guessing is going on here?
                          What follows is mere opinion ... so NaCl crystal aggregate consumption is in order. It's been my experience that it all comes down to two things: (1) Source location of the specimen; and (2) Food recognition by the specimen.

It's been my experience that specimens which are found in ... collected from ... a narrow geographic range demonstrate feeding behavior that correlates pretty well with the information presented by sites such as fishbase.org . The wider the source range(s), the less correlation there appears to be. This is what initially caused me to go hunting through Fishbase ... Centropyge loculatus occurs in a relatively limited natural range.

As to the other factor ... food recognition ... this appears to me to be much more random. Some specimens seem to recognize bizzare gelation bound particles falling through, and disintegrating in the water column as food ... some specimens do not. The ones that do not go looking for other energy sources ... like corals. One of the strategies that I use is to introduce both live foods, like Artemia or blood worms, along with frozen foods until the specimen "gets the idea" that the unrecognized gelatin particles might actually be worth the energy investment to consume. On the other hand, if they see something in our systems that they immediately recognize as a food source ... like polyps ... well ...

... ...

JMO .. HTH
                          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Thanks,

yeah i figure it will be a toss up.

the good news is if i do think its worth the risk to get the fish, the fish will be quaratined for a good 2-4 weeks at the place i am going to get it from.

also and probably the best thing is he will put it in with SPS to see what it does. He will also get them eating which is nice and treat for any disease which is another benefit.

we will see what i decide to do....

thanks everyone for the help and great info!

Nick

Comment

No problems here. You would make a good icthyologist.
                              I have a bad habbit of saying species instead of genera.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎