The Reef Aquarium 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Reef Aquarium 3

Does anyone have it yet? I ordered it from Amazon but it's not due to ship for about 2 weeks

I sure like the cover of this edition

400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Greetings All !

Originally posted by Orion76
    Does anyone have it yet? ...
    Yep ... good stuff ... it's actually a pretty good "surface level" survey of a variety of different reefing topics and strategies. Definitely another "must have" reference for any beginner-to-intermediate reefkeeper's library ... JMO.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Does it go into more modern reefkeeping methods?

The current literature out there is really becoming a little outdated, I can't even remember the last time a reef keeping book was published (I pretty much own every single book on the subject)....

must have been years....
      400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

I ordered it from Amazon but it's not due to ship for about 2 weeks either....ㅠㅠ

www.spsholic.com

Comment

Greetings All !

Originally posted by Orion76
          Does it go into more modern reefkeeping methods?
          Yep ... on a "basic" level, to be sure ... but the range is relatively comprehensive. "Methods" are presented in Chapter 6: Filtration. Specific content headings of Chapter 6 include ...

Mechanical filtration;
          Surface skimming;
          UV sterilizers;
          Biological filtration;
          Fluid mechanics and biological filtration;
          Nitrifying filters;
          Denitrifying filters;
          Assimilatory reduction of nitrate;
          Substrate filtration principles;
          Refugia;
          Chemical filtration;
          Protein skimming;
          Natural systems;
          Eng's natural systems;
          Jauberts Monaco system;
          Deep sand bed (DSB) filtration;
          Berlin method;
          Algal turf scrubbers and microcosm management;
          Miracle mud method;
          Cryptic sponge/tunicate EG zonal filtration;

... with a variety of strategies and specific products presented within each content heading, including strategies like vodka dosing, products like poly-filters, and "general principles" like biofilm behavior.

The "ZEOvit system" is briefly discussed in the 'Zeolites' subsection, which is in the 'Chemical filtration' content heading section ... even has a pic of a bag of ZEOvit media.

HTH
          "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by mesocosm
            Definitely another "must have" reference for any beginner-to-intermediate reefkeeper's library ... JMO.
            I agree.

I've had it for a couple weeks. As with almost any of these "text book" type works the first thing I do is skim through it a read those things I really find interesting and then I go to the front and read it all. I'm about 3/4 of the way through and it's all fairly interesting. What I found surprising (maybe not) is how much of this "new" information I'd already read somewhere else via the internet.

When volume l and ll came out books and the LFS were pretty much the only way I had to find information so I was much more dependent on them. I knew of only a couple other reefkeepers in the area that I was introduced to at the stores. Oh... I was I member of Compuserve's fishnet but it was so slow and difficult to research information. Maybe the hard drive-less, dual 5-1/2 floppy driven Tandy had something to do with it. :lol:

Anyway, all in all I'd still buy the book again but it wont be the information source the first two were to me.

SteveU
            “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
            ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Dang Steve, you must be oooolllldddd....

:molepoke:
              265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

i agree, it's quite a nice book...i love the pictures

Comment

Working...
                X