Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of algae?

Hey guys,

everything is going great with the tank except for this weird algae thats growing (and fish issues, but thats another thread....). its really taking over. so i took some pics and wanted to get an ID. also what fish will eat this stuff? i have a foxface lo and juvi. chevron tang in there now. they dont touch the stuff.

i am getting a PO4 reading of 0 on the hanna.

any ideas here? here are the pics,

and

sorry for the bad pics, but what do you think?

thanks

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

maybe dicyota sp.?

Comment

Check this out from last week.

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4701

SteveU
      “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
      ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

i saw that that thread, but i was not sure if this is the same stuff as the pics look alittle different..... do you think its the same stuff?

Nick
        275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Looks kinda similar to me.
          Also the fact it's taking over. You need to deal to it, which is harder the longer you leave it. Boiling water is the way to go.

Comment

Boiling water?? what do you mean?

Nick

Comment

It's on the other thread you saw :icon_bigg
              I removed the affected rocks and treated the algae with boiling water.
              Didn't dunk the whole rock, just poured water over the algae from the kitchen jug. Has worked well, looks at the moment like I got a 100% kill.
              I've heard of no other way to eradicate this algae, and at the rate it was spreading in my tank, I'm pretty certain I would have ended up with an entire tank full of it.

Comment

I cant take this rock out. its too big to fit through the canopy holes.

there has to be some fish or invert that will eat this stuff?

Nick

Comment

keeps us informed if you come across anything that will eat it. because so far only boiling water seems to work. don't even start scraping it under water in the tank as you will spread it around.

Comment

Dang this doesnt sound to promising.

will zeo eventaully take care of it? or no?

thanks

Nick

Comment

well wasp has a very good zeo tank and it still came up pretty fast. it may starve it out after a while but i would not bet my reef on it!

Comment

If you can't take the rock out maybe you can cover it up? It can't survive without light so you can kill it by covering it with flat pieces of liverock, saucers, dinner plates etc.
                        400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

I've been hand picking mine.. I stopped dosing AA's and Zeofood for a bit and it slowed down the growth. That stuff is annoying and will kill your corals by covering them from sunlight.

Comment

Maybe i will try the same.

it just looks so ugly......

too bad nothing eats the stuff....

Nick

Comment

Try a turkey baster with boiling water. The roots of this stuff penetrate the rock, so picking alone will be a never ending task.
                              Luckily for me most of the infestation was on rocks I could remove and treat out of the tank, but there was one smallish bit on a rock I would have had to dismantle the whole tank to get out. So I had a jug of boiling water and with the turkey baster dribbled water onto one spot at a time, right hard on the rock so it would have penetrated into the rock. Thoroughness is important so I just did a couple of square inches a day rather than do the whole thing at once and get careless.
                              The best plan for you may be to contain it by careful plucking, making sure to never let a bit float off, and slowly reduce the area of it by turkey basting boiling water, until you're free, take your time and do a thorough job.
                              There is one little bit under a rock I just could not get at, so I've sealed that in with epoxy, I'm assuming that complete darkness will eventually cause it to die, the epoxy can stay there permanently.
                              If hand plucking, turn your pumps off so if you lose a bit it will not dissapear off where you can't get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X