Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning to start Zeo

hi, this is my 1st post. and here is my tank information

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.)
    about 470L (120g)

2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.)
    about 400L (100g)

3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
    yes. i am using rowalith media with zeomag

4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
    yes. used it for a year. rowaphos media

5. Are you using Ozone
    yes. use it occasionally

6. Are you using UV
    no

7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
    deltec apf600 (750l - 1000l)

8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
    p04 = undetect (salifert)
    n03 = 0.1 (salifert)

9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
    ca=460ppm, alk=7-8, mg=1275ppm

10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
    bare bottom with live rocks and skimmer

11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
    2x250w - blv 14kk, 1 months old & 2 months old. supplement with 5xT5 HO

12. What corals do you keep
    85% sps, 15%lps

13. Tissue color (light or dark)
    between

14. How long has the tank been running
    slightly more than a year

15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
    better colour of the sps

16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
    cv and salifert AA

17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
    22kg rocks - 2 months old. 5kg rocks - more than a year old.

18. Any present problems
    no

19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) one of my sps stn from the base. the rest are healthy.

20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
    salifert. been using it for a 1 year.

21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
    no.

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
    salinity=1.025, temp=26.5-27.4 deg celcius, ph 7.99-8.18

i am planning to start the zeo in the beginning of next year. thanks in advance for your advice and help.

Gary
    gARy

"The seven wonders of the world is to see... to hear... to touch... to taste... to feel... to laugh...and to love."

Chronicle of Kiddboy's Mixed-Reef

First off ....Welcome to Zeovit! Let me start by saying you will love Zeovit if you follow the dosing schedule provided which I am sure Bob will chime in with. Based on the info you provided there are two things that need to be changed. You need to remove the phosban and Ozone. Evrything else looks good to me.

Jim
    Ultimate Reef

Comment

Hi Gary, & I'll also extend a welcome to ZEOvit & ZEOvit .com As Jim mentioned 03 & P04-removers are not needed or used with the ZEOvit method. Of course read as much about the method as possible, including the stickies at the top of this forum. For your system, I recommend the following:

1)place 1 Cup carbon in a filter sock, passively in your sump. Knead this bag 3x's/wk. & exchange monthly.
      2)place 1 ltr. zeolites in a filter with the flow rate ~ 100gph[400 l/h] Cycle the zeo-filter on & off at 3 hr. intervals, being sure the stones remain submerged when the filter is not operating. Clean the zeolites 1-2 x's/day with 5-10 repetitions each time. Exchange the zeolites every 6wks.
      3)dose Bak/Food7 3 drops daily for 2wks, then 3 drops each 2x's/wk. Dose these in front of the filter pump when "on". Turn off your skimmer for 60min after doing these. ZeoBak & Coral-Vitalizer are refrigerated.
      4)dose Start2 .3ml 2x's/day near the zeo-filter pump when "on". It is not necessary to turn off your skimmer when just dosing Start2.
      5)optional but recommended:dose 3 drops AAHC & 10 drops C-V daily into your display tank.

Ask any questions & update your tank status at the end of this 6wk. period, as the zeo-doses may need adjusting. Bob
      "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Bob,

How did I know you would answer so fast?

Merry Chistmas by the way!

Jim

Comment

thanks jim and bob for your warm welcome. i am aware of prosban and 03 which is not needed for zeo. i have read the stickies many times. in fact i have them printed.

i will keep you guys update. thanks again. really excited to have it start soon.
          gARy

"The seven wonders of the world is to see... to hear... to touch... to taste... to feel... to laugh...and to love."

Comment

i got my zeovit reactor. i decommissioned my ozone this afternoon.

2 questions:

when i decommission my phosban, should i hood up the zeovit reactor immediately and start the process or should i wait for a day?

one of my sps is not doing well. it has stn from the base. all my parameters are ok. till now, i have no idea what went wrong. so, it is alright that i start my zeovit or should i wait?

gary
            gARy

Comment

Gary,

I think you will be fine starting now. Just take the phosban off line and put the zeo reactor online. I did the same thing and never had an issue.

Jim

Comment

thanks jim

i removed my phosban and started my zeo reactor today
                gARy

Comment

Gary,

Some words of wisdom.....Follow the dosing schedule provided by Bob, take your time, and let Zeovit do its job. Do not expect amazing colors after day one but given time they will. And read, read, read all the good stuff here!

Jim

Comment

i have a problem of coral stn from the base. one was having a problem before i started the zeo. till not recover. 2nd sps is having stn from the base over last 2 days. the rest of the sps are alright. i stop dosing anything since yesterday.

i follow the schedule as being suggested. only thing is that i was having a problem of getting the right flow for my reactor for 1st 2 days. now the flow is ~300l/hr

dosing:
                    1 ltr zeolite with ~300l/hr
                    bak/food7 - 3 drop daily
                    start2 - 0.3 2x's/day

water parameters of today:
                    ca - 470
                    kh - 7.6
                    salinity - 35
                    ph - 7.95 - 8.2
                    gARy

Comment

Gary, your Ca concentration is a little bit high. Please adjust the Ca concentration slow to a range of 400 – 410 mg.

STN can be caused by many factors, however I often observed it with a unbalance of elements, compared to NSW. Your Mg concentration would also be interesting.

Please take a look at this post, it describes some effects of a potassium leak:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthr...6245#post46245

Another problem could be the salt brand you are using, which kind do you use ?

G.Alexander

Comment

thanks Alexander for your quick respond.

yes, i realized that my ca is off NSW. after reading your post, i went and measured mg... Wow! it is 1080ppm. i guess that explain why i find it hard to lower my ca. i just wonder... i am using zeomag in my CR and yet i still have a low reading of mg.

in the past, i used epsom salt to correct my mg problem. should i use it or i got to use other good mg supplement to correct my mg?

i am still using coralife salt. i am thinking of changing.

so, i should stop all the dosing and correct my mg and ca first before i resume it? the stn on the millpora still has not stop.

Gary
                        Last edited by kiddboy; 01-09-2006, 01:06 AM.
                        gARy

Comment

Gary, with this low Mg concentration the Mg granulate will take a lot of time until the level increases. Even if you use 20 – 30 % it will take a lot of time.

I would recommend to use a Mg supplement to adjust the level over 2 weeks once, keeping it stabile with the Mg granulate and a well balanced salt mix. While you rise the Mg concentration, measure Ca constant every other day. I run my tank with a Mg concentration around 1250 mg which works very well. Please also keep a eye on the salinity while you rise Mg.

Over a longer time I would try to think about changing the salt brand while it seems the coralife salt contains not enough Mg. I have no experience with this salt, so the low Mg concentration is only a speculation.

Another possibility to balance the element concentration would be bigger water changes with a well balanced salt.

I would not complete the dosage, just cut in half (ZeoBac – ZeoFood & ZeoSpart2).

G.Alexander

Comment

thanks alexander. i will raise my mg with mg supplement slowly and at the same time, i will do 5-10% water weekly with new brand of saltmixed. hope that i can get back my mg level within a month.

as for changing salt brand, i thought of follow bob's method. 50-50 oceanic & IO. but i understand that oceanic salt has high ca. now my ca is on the high, it is wise to use it or i use other brand with a good ca level.

now, i have cut my dosing to half. will update the progress.

Gary
                            gARy

Comment

Sounds like a good plan Gary. Maybe you can use another ratio of both salt brands.

Bob, have you any experience with another ration by mixing both salts together ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                              X