Help i'm plagued with red planaria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help i'm plagued with red planaria

Is there anybody that can help me with a red planaria problem. Im plagued with the stuff. I've tried the blue neon velvet nudibranchs with no success at all. Yes i've seen the nudibranchs eat some but but they tend to disappear after a month or so. The planaria is mainly all over the live rock and now starting on the glass. The system is around 200 gallons in total with three separate reef tanks for display. It has good skimming and metal halides and a sand filter and a cartridge filter with 60 w total of uv. There is good water movement in each aquarium and regular water changes are performed. Apart from draining down each aquarium separately and filling it with fresh water to kill them. I was wondering if anyone knew of a better way to discourage or kill these pains in the back side for good. So far only soft corals get them on them when they are closed which makes them stay closed and hard corals do not have them at all. Any suggestions (sensible) would be greatly appreciated

iam the same problem i use flatworm exit

Comment

It may just be coincidence but I have 4 main tanks in my system. Two have the flatworms and two do not. Two have yellow damsels and two do not. I've followed this for about the last year and I can reduce the population in the tanks with flatworms if I move the damsels. This goes back even further, maybe two years when I had 11 small tanks all on a common sump. All had flatworms except one tank that had a yellow damsel in it. Does it eat them or just scare them away?.... I have no idea. Maybe I'm just lucky with the one a got. I tried the nudi but like others report they just seem to disappear and I'm assuming end up in the overflow.

SteveU
      “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
      ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Could you be more specific on the yellow damsel specie i might give anything a go at the moment. It is true to say though that the aquariums with more fish seem to have less planaria but again not much.!

Comment

Also any one know where i can get flat worm exit from in the u.k and does it have any ill effects in using the product in a reef system.

Comment

I don't have a single book on fish... only corals so I can't really supply a better ID on the fish.

As for FW Exit just get as many as possible out of the tank via a ridgid airline used to siphon them out before treatment. Have plenty of carbon on hand and do a larger than usual waterchange some hours later. The medication appears harmless but the toxins released by the dead flatworms are not.

SteveU
            “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
            ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

does anyone know where i can get hold of the Flatworm exit U.K. prefered but anywhere will do providing they will send to the U.K.

Comment

I have watched Mandarin Gobies decimate a planaria population.

Dave B
                400g SPS Reef - 33g Surge - +30k gph Flow - Lots of DIY / 1100g Outdoor SPS System / 280g FO Watch my Reef Tank, LIVE!!!

Comment

Greetings All !

Originally posted by emperorfish
                  does anyone know where i can get hold of the Flatworm exit U.K. prefered but anywhere will do providing they will send to the U.K.
                  emperorfish,

[deleted]
                  Go to next post ...
                  Last edited by mesocosm; 12-13-2005, 05:34 PM.
                  "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
                  Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Greetings All !

Darn ... I need to be more persistent with the foul cyber-technology

[deleted]

Next post, please ...
                    Last edited by mesocosm; 12-13-2005, 05:35 PM.
                    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Greetings All !

No, no, no, noooo ... IGNORE previous two posts ... :destroy:

Our very own ZEOvit.com sponsor CoralCulture in the UK sells Flatworm Exit.

coralculture's Flatworm Exit page:
                      http://www.coralculture.co.uk/shop/p...2ab1a2eb3e75bf

coralculture's homepage:
                      http://www.coralculture.co.uk/

What was I thinking?!
                      :cursin:
                      Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

i think more than anything is a hit or miss when it comes to this,green coris wrasse or sixline also,i have a green coris that eats every thing it sees.
                        as for the headshield nudi,i have seen them get rid of this pest,you have to get more than one ,but yes they also do disappear
                        i never kept nudis,except lettuce nudi(during my postcycle algae phases),imo they are the best for hairalgae,but yes they also disappear,i got 1 or 2 a few times& yes they were gone within a week
                        so last time i got 10 of them after a week or so there were eggs everywhere(still ha around)i had little nudis everywhere & they grow fast too,every week i found maybe 10 in the filtersock as well,so i give some away &eventually once their food was gone they slowly disappeared too,whithin a few months no more nudis
                        now i know that lettuce nudis don't have much toxins like the rest of nudis or flatworms(they put the algae to work for them in their gut)
                        but make sure they don't release alot of toxins when they die ,before you put 10 of them in your tank,thats just my experience with lettuce nudis might not work for you with headshield
                        if you are using FE,have alot of sw & carbon around,they are very toxic

Comment

Greetings All !

emperorfish,

If coralculture is still out, you might try:

The Coral Garden
                          Salifert Flatworm Exit Page
                          http://www.shop-coralgarden.co.uk/pr...5fc02b657ac339

The Coral Garden
                          Homepage
                          http://www.shop-coralgarden.co.uk/

Wow ... my first seriously mangled posting sequence.
                          I'll be quiet now.

Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Can you post a pic of your problem?

Comment

I had flatworms until I bought a sixline wrass... after a few weeks, they were all gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X