Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M. digitata STN Problem

Hey gang-

I'm having a problem in my 300g. All of my Monti digitata are suffering from STN. Some started on the tips, others at the base, and some within the colony. No other Monti species are affected, nor are any other corals.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have scrutinized the corals and I can not find any predation. The flesh just slowly comes off. I have noticed pods and some hermits on the affected areas at night...but my guess is they are being drawn to the decay, and are not the actal culprit.

Marc
    Marc
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish and he'll sit in the boat and drink beer all day.

Marc, they are VERY susceptible to temp changes and alk issues.. If you have had an issue with either I would sure lean in that direction.

Peace, Jeff

Comment

Jeff-

No temp problems, steady at 79 for quite a while. But I have lowered my alk from the 11-12 range down to 8, as is the rule with zeo. But this took place over time, a few weeks. Maybe I'll kick it back up a little and see what happens.
      Marc
      Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish and he'll sit in the boat and drink beer all day.

Comment

I would not change it again.. I would let the recession run its course.. I have had this happen to some of my digis at the beginning trying to get the Ca Rx dialed in.. They have fully recovered over time... I have also noticed any and all effects of Alk or temp issues with digis being a week or 2 after the fact... These are my observations this my not be the case for you.

Jeff

Comment

I have already lost the majority of two colonies, and it just started today on my two really nice colonies.
          Marc

Comment

Hmm that does not seem to be the symptoms I had for alk or temp issues.. Not sure what it could be... Have you tested everything and salinity? Anybody have anything to offer?

Jeff

Comment

To clarify, it didn't happen all at once. Over the past 3-4 weeks, colonies slowly became involved. The only thing I did around that time was add the CR and drop my dkh from 11-12 to 8. My pH is also a little lower since adding the CR. Prior to adding it the pH would run 7.95 - 8.2. Now it runs 7.8 - 8.
              Marc

Comment

That PH value should not be a problem.. With the lowered Alk the PH tends to follow that trend as well... I was looking at RC and came across this thread too.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=727103

Jeff

Comment

Jeff-

My monti's, again it is only the digitata, are not bleaching at all. They are all vibrantly colored, the flesh is simply coming off of the skeleton.
                  This first pic shows how it started within the middle of the colony, and then slowly started working outward. You can actually see the flush coming off, almost looks like a sun burn peeling...polyps and all.

In this second photo, I zoomed in some, and hopefully at the white arrows you can actually see where the flesh is lifting.

All of the pieces are "peeling" like this.
                  Marc

Comment

Marc, are they centrally located or through out the tank? Have you switched to Higher Kelvin bulbs?

Comment

This piece has been under the same bulbs for 5-6 months, and was doing just fine. Great color & growth. I have four 250w halides burning 8hrs, and four 80w T5 burning 12 hours. This piece is between two halides, about 11" down. The other piece that just started is over to the left about a foot, but is at the same height. There are several digitatas on my central arch, and the one pictured is the only one going STN. The other digitata colonies are throughout the tank.
                      Marc

Comment

Have you checked to see if the bulb glass has broken at all? MH can still burn and it will cause a sunburn type STN on sps.. If thats not it Marc I am sorry not sure what the problem is..

Jeff

Comment

Marc, I have exact the same Montipora in my tank. Its not growing to fast, this is why I do not think it is a typical digitata. This coral was the first coral getting problems while I had a potassium leak. The STN has processed very slow over weeks.

After dosing K-Balance this problem has stopped and the coral is showing good growth again.

Maybe worth a try ?

G.Alexander

Comment

This is a shot of the coral as it looked a month ago. You can see a little white dot, right inthe middle of the colony. That is where the STN started. The other digitatas around it are doing fine.
                            Marc

Comment

I just looked at them, and they look fine. When they shut off in 20-30 minuites I'll pull them out and check them better.
                              Marc

Comment

Working...
                              X