Dosing and other recommendations please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dosing and other recommendations please

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.)
    110g.
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.)
    70g.
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
    Yes, homemade
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
    No
    5. Are you using Ozone
    No
    6. Are you using UV
    No
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
    ER 5-3
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
    0/0 Salifert
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
    420/10/1250
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
    DSB,Refugium
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
    2x400 watt xm20k/ 2x110 watt vho actinics. MH 1 month, actinic 6 months
    12. What corals do you keep
    SPS
    13. Tissue color (light or dark)
    Light
    14. How long has the tank been running
    1 year
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
    Improve color and growth
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
    Zeovit Amino Acid
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
    approx 75lb
    18. Any present problems
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
    Bleaching, tissue loss due to old make up water filter, things are getting better.
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
    Salifert / 6 months
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
    AA
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
    35ppm/78-80

I started Zeo a week ago but had to stop due to make up water filters being old. I've fixed the problem and done some major water changes and corals are looking better now. Basically I've had problems for months with tissue thining and lost some of my corals. I want to start Zeo again and have some questions.

1) Zeolite has been in the reactor since and has been partly exposed to air on the off cycle. Can I still keep it or should I replace?.

2) I was dosing 3 drops bak and food and .7ml of start daily. This I beleive is right according to the guide but I'm wondering if I should dose this amount 1 or 2x a week instead. A recent answer to a post stated to do this on a similiar situation. The corals are more on the light side not brown and there is not an algea problem. The little macro I have in the fuge is not growing and looks like it's dying.

3) I have a sheet of Poly Filter rubber banded on the return of the skimmer to hopefully catch any contaminents that may be left. Is it ok to leave this along with the carbon. I'm using Zeo's carbon I beleive 1 cup (per guide recommendation).

4) Can I keep dosing Amino Acids (3 drops daily).

thanks in advance for your input
    Albert
    Last edited by alazo1; 02-10-2005, 04:22 AM.

Hi Albert, thnx. for the background info With your KH at 10, I recommend turning off your CR until it's down to 8, maintaining this along with Ca>400/ Mg.1200. When the parameters are inline, then resume the ZEOvit method[BTW, hold AAHC until you resume the method]. You do not need to replace the exposed portion of zeolites, but if this situation can not be corrected, plz. operate the zeo-filter continuously. With Start, yes, dose .3ml 2x's/day & dose bak/food7 as before. If your corals demonstrate tip thinning or become too light, change the bak/food dosage to every other day for the first two wks. Remove the Poly-Filter when your restart ZEOvit. Reduce the carbon quantity to 3/4 Cup[1Cup/100g net vol] Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Wow Bob you answered all my questions, thank you so much!!
      I'll turn off the skimmer to get the alkalinity levels down.

thanks again,
      Albert

Comment

Working...
      X