Substrate or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substrate or not

currently have a sandbed which thanks to my streams is now about 2 inches at the front of my tank. I decided to vaccum this the other day and was amazed how much crap came out of it!

Im now thinking that it maybe best to do one of the following:

1. constantly vaccum it to keep it as clean as poss.

2. Take some out and just have a small covering of sand

3. Remove it all and grow some star polyps over the bare glass bottom.

What do you all do, or recommend.

Cheers

Ga

None of the above?

I switched to barebottom/starboard a few months ago, and I have been amazed at how much crap leeches out of the rocks and accumulates on the bottom. I can siphon it and it doesn't take much time for there to be another pile of crud. Imagine all of that getting absorbed into your sandbed. After seeing that - and also considering the flow issues, like you've seen with your streams - I don't know that I would ever keep a sandbed for an SPS tank.

I also thought of the idea of growing GSP's or zoanthids to cover the bottom, but they would work to trap detritus just as much as a sandbed, IMO.

Comment

not! take out that nasty sand!
      Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

I'm thinking of going BB myself. I took out a few cups of sand today for the annual sand trade and not even 1 1/2 from the top there was some black stuff (hydrogen sulfide). It smelled pretty bad. I do want to keep my fuge with sand only. It is accessible and I would be able to monitor it very easily. This would just be for added filtration and growing of bugs.

Albert

Comment

I did the same thing last weekend, i sucked out as much sand as possible and the stuff was filthy. I have a good 80 times tank volume turn in one hour as well. I bumping this up to 100 time / hr this weekend now that i don't have sand.

I'm not prepared to remove the whole reef from the tank and put startboard down, i have my living rock resting on the glass (did this a few years ago as well in another tank and never had a problem). So far so good. My redox has gone from a 280 to a 330 in a few days. P04 is now undectable (with salifert). Always used to sit on 0.03. Water clarity has improved as well.

The bottom of my tank is painted black, so you don't see the stryofoam underneath. Up to you if you want to pull out your reef and start again. Starboard and Barebottem will give you the same results, you just have the protection against rock slides cracking the glass in your tank. I have never had this problem (touch wood) i make sure my rock work is very solid.

Trust that this helps a bit.

Cheers
          Che

Comment

I was thinking of shallowing out my sandbed to about 1inch or so but am afraid of all the junk that will leech into the water column from deep beneath the sandbed. It was definately a mistake to go for a deep sand bed but I guess, short of tearing the reef apart and totally removing the sandbed, I am stuck with it.
            Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

Fkadir, Why don't you take out your sand bed slowly. With each water change just syphon out a bit of sand here and there. You won't get 100% of it, maybe 80-90% (depending on your reef layout).

I have sand still under some of my display that i just can't get to (if detritus was to land here i still could not get it) This sand is under some of my rocks, so i'm happy to leave it there.

I guess that 80% is better than nothing and for me to get it all out, that would mean stripping the whole tank out (which to me is a total PITA). If i was going to do that i would get Starboard, but i don't think i require it as the tank is going OK.

Cheers
              Che

Comment

Yeah, agree with you. Having to strip the tank would be a major PITA.. Yeah, doing just dat.. siphoning as much as I can with every water change. Long long way to go to get to a shallow sandbed...
                Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

Farish,

I had a shallow sand bed (max 1 CM) and the water colour was dark brown. It was putrid and the smell was something else. I did all at once, but i'm glad i did.

Good luck, the results will be worth it

Cheers
                  Che

Comment

I too would go with None of thee above. Go bb you will love it.

Comment

Working...
                    X