valonia/bubble algae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valonia/bubble algae

OK guys, what's your favorite valonia eradication method. The tank is small, so don't tell me sailfins and stuff like that.
    10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
    BK400ext
    RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
    MRC kalkmixer
    IKS

I had a few valonias when the tank was very new. A pair of Green Emerald Crabs did it for me.
    Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

My emeralds wander right by the stuff.
      10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
      BK400ext
      MRC kalkmixer
      IKS

Comment

chuck , i have one too( and emeralds will not touch it.. what cause of valonia?
        pierce recommended to get a rabbit fish. ..

mike

Comment

My Foxface Lo will not touch the stuff...

i think it really depends on the certain fish or crab in this case if they will eat it.

maybe try to get another emerald crab and see if it will eat it?

Nick
          275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

OK guys, what's your favorite valonia eradication method.
            ZEOvit

A lot of people attach a straw cut like the wedge pipe on your BK to a small airline hose and start a siphon. then they can scrape off the bubble with that. If one pops, most of it is siphoned out (in theory). If you have tons of them, this is a pain but there isn't a whole lot you can do that i'm aware of.

Comment

I've had some Valonia in the past. I can't exactly say what got rid of it but my guess would be running the system at low nutrient levels for a extended length of time. As well I am using 20k bulbs and maybe they don't like this light spectrum. But who knows, seems as w/ most algaes the can adapt to just about any light levels if the water chemistry is right .
              Take Care,
              Chad

Comment

Chuck,

I have plenty of Valonia in my 400g. I added about 6 emerald crabs last week, I also through in 4 Sally Lightfoots.

I have been camouflaging mine by letting the Coraline grow over the valonia

Dave B
                400g SPS Reef - 33g Surge - +30k gph Flow - Lots of DIY / 1100g Outdoor SPS System / 280g FO Watch my Reef Tank, LIVE!!!

Comment

yeah interesting that....seems like corraline does grow on it...
                  10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
                  BK400ext
                  MRC kalkmixer
                  IKS

Comment

I just ran across this thread on reef central the other day and found it interesting
                    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=673908

Quote from thread:
                    quote:
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    The crab does pop the bubble. Such bubbles are single cells. If the alga in question is nearing reproductive status such "popping" may release spores. If the bubble isn't - and at any given time most are not, then all that the popping does is to gently release the cellular contents. The crab will eat some of these, the rest will disperse without harm.

Popping most of the bubble algae in a tank would probably not increase any bubble algal population.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    I have one "bubble" that I can see anyway and I have tried to wiggle it loose with no success. I am too nervous to just break it and rip it out.
                    What causes bubble algea anyway? Same as what causes other algea? High nutrients etc. etc.

Comment

I suppose that at very low nutrient levels will end up killing valonias. I have corraline on my valonias too, but im not sure if it grows while the algae is alive or once dead, because i only see it on dead valonias !!!

Comment

When I first went zeovit, a few weeks later my valonia all died. I thought - YES! great stuff this zeovit.
                        However it cannot have been zeovit related as the valonia is now back with a vengance.
                        You will not regulate this algae with low nutrients. It can survive on incredibly low nutrients, you will kill the coral before you will kill the valontia.

Comment

Yeah, but this tank, my office tank, is for zoos and the such, so I'm not really going ultra low nutrient. I'll just manually go after 'em. there aren't that many of 'em. There's also one aptasia in the tank....gotta bring some more kalk to the office to kalk paste that sucker.
                          10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
                          BK400ext
                          MRC kalkmixer
                          IKS

Comment

You guys just burst my bubble. All this time I thought I had a rare form of coralline that would be named Corallina Sphericalis and my name would forever be emblazened in the scientific journals.

SteveU
                            “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
                            ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Steve, good try... hehehe
                              Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

Working...
                              X