Check valve problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check valve problem

Hi, I understand that the following is a problem.. But I just need to know the magnitude on it... This morning I discovered that my check valve had let out all the water in the Zeo reactor :cursin: , I don´t know how long but not more than 2 hours. What to do and how much of my "starting process" is destroyed?

Niclas, you will be ok.. I would not run the reactor 3 on 3 off until you can get the check valve functioning properly though...

Jeff

Comment

Hi Niclas, that's not a problem, however if the check valve can not function properly on a ongoing basis just operate the zeo-filter continuously. Bob
      "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Two quick answers! Great, i will keep the reactor going 24/7 now because I can´t trust the valve although it is a quality valve, everything just have to take a little bit longer I suppose? I also have started to see an orange film on some parts of my substrate, I saw in another thread that you could cut down Start 2?

Comment

Yes cut down the start2 50% and report back in a week on the film... What are your current does amts of supps and also water voume?

Comment

Today, I´m out of BAK so I dose only Start2 approx 0.2ml, I do missed the dot before the 2 initially when I got my dosing from Bob so the first week I dosed 2ml instead of .2ml... Janne my Swedish friend read my thread and pointed it out to me.. But my regular dose now is: 0.2ml Start2, 3drops of Food, 3 drops of BAK and 3 drops of Aminos. My water volume is approx 420L including my sump.

Comment

Hi Niclas, yes, that's a sign of Start2 excess, but in your situation[Overdosing 2ml Start2 plus no Bak] do not dose Start2 for 1 day then return to 0.2ml 2x's/day. Bob

Comment

Ok! Thank´s
                /Niclas

Comment

Check valves for reef tanks are just unreliable.

The number of people who post pics, trusting the line through the bottom of the tank to save them when the power turns off is just silly.

We have to clean sand, grit, calcium, coraline etc just to keep our pumps running. And yet no one figures these same things stick, clog, attach and jam the check valves - regardless of Spring, Flap or Y style.

It's not your fault, It's not your fault, It's not your fault... Repeat 5x daily until all check valves have been removed

Dave B
                  400g SPS Reef - 33g Surge - +30k gph Flow - Lots of DIY / 1100g Outdoor SPS System / 280g FO Watch my Reef Tank, LIVE!!!

Comment

Greetings All !

Originally posted by Niclas
                    This morning I discovered that my check valve had let out all the water in the Zeo reactor :cursin: , I don´t know how long but not more than 2 hours. What to do and how much of my "starting process" is destroyed?
                    Not to worry ... nothing catastrophic here. The biofilm will re-establish itself very quickly.

Originally posted by o2manyfish
                    Check valves for reef tanks are just unreliable.

The number of people who post pics, trusting the line through the bottom of the tank to save them when the power turns off is just silly.
                    Truer words were never spoken.

JMO ... HTH
                    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
                    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I still get the orange film on my sand, even though I stopped for a day, and then one more day. Should I stop it until it goes away or should I lower my dose? (today 0.2ml)

Comment

Hey it saved me during the hurricane from the BK overflowing back into the sump. Definitely an item to add to the TO DO list of the replacement maintenance of an aquarium.

Comment

Originally posted by Niclas
                          I still get the orange film on my sand, even though I stopped for a day, and then one more day. Should I stop it until it goes away or should I lower my dose? (today 0.2ml)
                          Yes, Niclas, when your Bak is again dosed, the bacteria will utilize the carbon source[Start2] more efficiently, but for now, reduce your Start2 quantity by 50% for a time, & monitor your nutrient levels. If after a week of your new dosages, the nutrients are climbing, just increase the Start2 dosage by 25%. Bob

Comment

Ok, I got my BAK today, and also the new Coral Vitalizer, should I wait with the Vitalizer and if, what would be a good starting dosage? The label was unreadable on my bottle.

Comment

Hi Niclas, the C-V can be started immediately, at 1-3 drops per 100ltrs net volume daily. I'm using 2 drops/100ltrs. each day Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X