Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Sea Reefer XL 300

Hello all

I'm new to the forum and to the Zeovit method. I have recently broken down a DIY aquarium run on the Triton method and will soon take delivery of a Red Sea Reefer XL 300 aquarium which I'd like to make a Zeovit aquarium from the very beginning.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
    300 liters, 75 US gallons
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
    I will measure this when filling the tank for the first time, assume approx 275 liters / 73 US gallons
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
    Considering a small CaCO2 reactor, open to suggestions
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
    No
    5. Are you using Ozone
    No
    6. Are you using UV
    No
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
    I really want to not use a skimmer. Please advise if possible on this size tank from the beginning. If not, recommendations for an ultra-quiet skimmer, time period to have it running, etc most welcome
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
    n/a
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
    n/a
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
    System will use filter socks and live rock only
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
    2 x Ecotech Radion XR30W G4
    12. What corals do you keep
    95% SPS, 3% LPS, 2% Clams
    13. Tissue color (light or dark)
    Currently quite dull in frag tank
    14. How long has the tank been running
    Not yet started
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
    I want to achieve a picture-perfect SPS reef tank in a relatively small square given by the Red Sea Reefer XL 300
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
    n/a
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
    It will be up to 40 lbs of new Caribsea Life Rock
    18. Any present problems
    n/a
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
    n/a
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
    ICP Testing, most likely Triton
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
    n/a
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
    n/a but will aim to run at 35 ppt and 27c
    23. Which salt brand do you use?
    NSW

So as above, looking to start the Zeovit method on a new 300L tank. If able, I'd prefer not to use a skimmer but open to advice and recommendations on ultra-quiet models.

Aquarium comes with two filter socks but not other filtration other than the rock which is not live rock but comes with spored bacteria ready to be activated (Caribsea Life Rock).

Looking to use a calcium reactor for Alk/Mg/Ca and natural sea water for initial fill and water changes (5% per week).

I also have a copy of the Zeovit manual

Kind regards
    Scott

Hello Scott & welcome to ZeoVit.com !

If I understand you correctly you plan to setup a fresh system cycling it with the ZeoVit method without a skimmer.

To be honest I would not recommend you to go without a skimmer, it is a important part of the system. There are skimmers available with electronic pumps being not to noisy but the pumps are not cheap.

If you like to cycle your system with ZeoVit in conjunction with a skimmer I would recommend you to start as described over here:

https://zeovit.com/forums/showpost.p...60&postcount=7

G.Alexander

Comment

Good morning

Yes you have understood me correctly

Do you recommend a particular skimmer for my size aquarium?

I read in the manual last night that you recommend venturi style.

Cost is not as important as my wife not moaning about the noise

Thanks
      Scott

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Hello Scott, I can not give you a direct recommendation for a silent skimmer. Usually ventury style skimmers are more silent if a good, silent pump is used. Neither the pump nor the skimmer should have direct contact to the glass. I have usually fixed this with silicone hoses or something similar.

G.Alexander

Comment

Good morning

I have decided to go with a Nyos 120 which has very good reviews for silence.

I've also been reading your faq thread which has been extremely helpful and informative. Cannot thank you enough for your time creating it.

Just trying to source and appropriately sized reactor now for a 300L

Kind regards
          Scott

Comment

Okay, more equipment finalised:

Tank - Red Sea Reefer XL 300
            Reactor - Vertex RX-z 1.5 Reactor
            Skimmer - Ecotech Nyos 120
            Powerheads - 2 x Ecotech Vortech MP40w + return pump
            Live Rock - KZ Coral Sand Aragonite
            Light - 2 x Ecotech Radion XR30 G4

Trying to decide on alkalinity/calcium dosing. I have Triton Core 7 additives from my previous tank so I'll most likely start with that. I also have limewater but don't want to mess up my ATO (happened on last tank), maybe I could get a reactor for it and drip feed.

Advice?

Comment

Hello Scott, limewater is something I would not recommend to use:

https://zeovit.com/forums/showpost.p...34&postcount=5

I do not have experience with the Triton additives but basically if they do not contain additional trace elements you should be able to use them (Ca and KH component).

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
                Hello Scott, limewater is something I would not recommend to use:

https://zeovit.com/forums/showpost.p...34&postcount=5

I do not have experience with the Triton additives but basically if they do not contain additional trace elements you should be able to use them (Ca and KH component).

G.Alexander
                Thank you, I had also been researching further and saw similar advice. I was down to either triton or red sea foundation for Ca/Alk but they both contain other elements in the core 2-3 part.

Red Sea contains strontium, magnesium and a couple other bits.

I will try and find the answer but my last question is related to your comment : do you mean the ca/alk method should *only* be those two elements? Or is the red sea foundation ABC acceptable

As mentioned, I'll try and find the answer myself but I do appreciate your help

Comment

Lime water (not suitable for use in zeovit systems) is an individual element and it is possible / does not contain its additional trace elements. I change the way to explain what I mean. For example, to promote kh, my goal is to improve kh. If the product contains its elements, then it is likely to increase kh and also increase its unnecessary elements, which may also lead to the appearance of corals. Becomes dark and affects what we want

Comment

Originally posted by jacky View Post
                    Lime water (not suitable for use in zeovit systems) is an individual element and it is possible / does not contain its additional trace elements. I change the way to explain what I mean. For example, to promote kh, my goal is to improve kh. If the product contains its elements, then it is likely to increase kh and also increase its unnecessary elements, which may also lead to the appearance of corals. Becomes dark and affects what we want
                    Understand thank you

How about Red Sea Reef Foundation ABC?

Comment

I do n’t have the experience of using this product, I think it is possible, I searched the product online, A bottle raises Ca (ca / sr / ba), B bottle raises Kh (Co3 / alk), C bottle raises Mg (Mg). Mg element I often keep the water stable by 1250 ~ 1300 by changing 5 ~ 10% of water every week. If you add bottle C, you must use the mg test kit to determine whether this is needed. Usually, the consumption of mg is very small.

It is also recommended that you use a calcium reactor, which is also an economical and easy way

A bottle improves Ca (ca / sr / ba). I don’t have experience with sr and ba, and don’t have much impact on corals (only a few). Such products must have a certain proportion. I think it can Accepted, after all, trace amounts. If this trace element has a high standard, I believe that the Ca element has exceeded the range and is much higher. However for trace elements, I often refresh them in a balanced way by changing the water every week, so that ’s it
                      Last edited by jacky; 02-28-2020, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

It looks like I should go for a simpler balling 2-part method to be sure.

Also, I was under the impression that my aquarium is too small for a calcium reactor. I watched YouTube videos by BRS on the subject.

Thank you
                        Scott

Comment

I learned more about the amount of tank water (deducting rocks, etc.) from # 1. I think the tank is not too small, but the initial adjustment will be relatively small. The consumption of elements also depends on many factors. In a healthy and suitable environment Don't underestimate the rapid consumption of elements, especially kh. Of course, coral growth is also related to quantity. Calcium reactor is just a suggestion, I think it is also suitable for your tank

Also, Zeovit system bacteria addition (carbon source), it is strongly recommended to use skimmer

Comment

Hello Scott, balling with the Ca and the KH without trace elements or minral salt component would be my recommendation also if you like to use a supplement. If you but those elements make sure to use a pure (purest) quality as it does not contain much additional elements which do darken the corals tissue in a nutrient poor system. Mg can usually be balanced with the regular water changes, level should be in the range of 1250 – 1300 mg.

G.Alexander

Comment

Hello

My tank has been running since 29th March. All going well with some expected challenges along the way.

Experienced a bacterial bloom last week but I just carried on with dosing and it went away in a few days.

I'm still cycling unfortunately and have had high nitrite levels for three weeks after the initial few weeks reading zero. I'm also reading very high nitrates.

I would've thought that the nitrites would have dropped again by now?

Thanks
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X