No announcement yet.

Considering Switching to Zeovit Method - One Year Old Tank - Can't Grow SPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not have experience with LEDs but might the spectrum be the reason for the leak of growth ? You run 4 T5 bulbs in blue additional, seems to be a very blue spectrum to me which can make it difficult for SPS corals. Also do you have ever checked the K+ (potassium) level of your system ?

Some temporary additional water changes to balance elements might also be a good idea. 15% each time three times in the next 10 days is something which I would try.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks for your note G.Alexander. I have 4 Ecotech LED's that are set to the SPS+ setting which is supposed to be max growth potential for SPS. The T5's are just supplemental to that, so I'm not sure if that could inhibit growth; my understanding is that many people have success growing SPS with just the LED's on the SPS+ setting without T5's at all. Could the T5's actually be doing more harm than good?

I have had many ICP tests done and everything seems to come back nearly perfect. I've attached a few of the results here.

Triton ICP Test: https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/icp-oes/109548
      ATI ICP Test: https://lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/...0259a3571f7778
      Coralvue ICP Test: Picture attached

My thought is that it seems like the lack of drop in alkalinity may be an issue. Can you think of any reason why my alkalinity doesn't decline at all, ever? It just stays rock steady at about 7.9dKH for months at a time. I test it with 4 different kits - Hanna, LaMotte, Neptune Trident and GHL KH Director and they all show it staying the same. I do not dose anything in the tank that would raise alkalinity. It seems like this may be part of my problem, but I do not know why. Any thoughts would be really helpful. Thanks.

Comment

The blue light will not do any harm to your corals but if the spectrum is to blue it will for sure have a negative impact to growth and coloration. I would try to replace 2 or all 4 of the blue bulbs with white bulbs.

If the KH does not decrease even if you do not supplement it I would expect that your rocks or the sand does buffer the KH. Please also keep in mind if the consumers of KH (corals) do not really grow the consumption will be low also. You also told that coralline algae grow on the glass but not on your rocks, this is something which would make me thinking that the rocks do leach / contain anything which the growth of the coralline algae does prohibit, not sure if it is the same with the corals.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks G.Alexander. I may have overstated the lack of growth on my rocks - there is coralline on there but it is no where near as pronounced as on the glass. In your opinion, is the fact that my rocks or sand is buffering KH a bad thing? To me it seems like it could be bad, but I am not sure.

Comment

As long as the KH does not increase over 7.9 I would not see a problem however you can never be sure what else is leached from the material. As mention before I have no experience with the rocks, do you know systems which are doing very well with them ?

Have you seen any positive response from the corals after the additional water changes ?

Also which kind of carbon do you use ?

G.Alexander

Comment

I actually did 3 water changes a few weeks ago and haven't seen much improvement, but i'm not sure it has been long enough. I don't use carbon - should I be using it? Thanks for all of your help in helping me solve my tank issues.

Comment

I would recommend to use korallenzucht carbon additional passively flown in the sump.

I do have a couple of additional questions:

Can you also please post your actual dosing regimen and the net water volume of your complete system ?

How much ZeoVit material do you have running and how high is the water flow through the reactor ?

How much time has passed since you replaced all the rocks against live rock ?

Please also post the actual water parameters (KH, Mg, Ca, K+, PO4 and NO3) and if possible please check salinity with a different accurate instrument to make sure yours is accurate.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks G.Alexander. My tank is a Red Sea Reefer 625xxl so total water volume is 165g (135g display, 30g sump). I do not have a dosing regimen; I don't really dose anything. My alkalinity and Calcium stay steady and my magnesium seems to deplete slowly enough that my water changes replenish it properly. I do weekly 10-15% water changes using Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt.

I am not using Zeovit but I am wondering if it would be a good fit. I replaced the live rock in May 2020 so it has been about 4-5 months. Tank parameters are as follows. All of these have been confirmed by at least 2 different testing sources:

dKH: 7.9
                  Cal: 480
                  Mag: 1290
                  PO4: 0.05-0.1
                  NO3: 8ppm
                  K+: 380
                  Salinity: 1.026

All my tank parameters are pretty much the same as my ICP tests show form a few months back. I've pasted them here for reference.

Triton ICP Test: https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/icp-oes/109548
                  ATI ICP Test: https://lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/...0259a3571f7778
                  Coralvue ICP Test: Picture attached

One question I have on the carbon - would you mind explaining why you think adding carbon is a good option? I'm all for it, I'm just curious why you think it will help. Thanks!

-Scott

Comment

I was under the impression that you use the full ZeoVit system so carbon is a part of it. It does remove nettle toxins and unwanted substances but the carbon should not be to “aggressive” in removing elements otherwise it will have a negative impact to the corals. Carboin might be worth giving it a try to see if this does change anything, 0.5 liters passively flown in the sump in a filter sock kneaded every couple of days. You can start slower with a lower quantity.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                    X