No announcement yet.

Newbie - Where To Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, thats me done the 3 water changes as advised, I can confirm that my Phosphate is reading 0.00 and Nitrate is 10, no other methods other than the Zeo Reactor are bing used for nutrient export, all other parameters are within the suggested parameters.

I have also changed over my ATI Bulbs, so, previously I had 4 Blue Plus, this has been changed to 2 Blue Plus and 2 Coral Plus, albeit there is still a level of Blue, there is a definite whiter tint to the water, crisp white as opposed to a yellowy white, if that makes sense.

In terms of the dosing regime suggested by Jacky, does it matter if you use any of the products on the same day or is it best to spread across say a 7 day period ?

I have also added a few more SPS Frags and so far all are doing well, plenty of polyp extension and some of the original frags are showing growth.

Comment

• I'm very happy to hear this good news. The NO3 part should be zero over time. Currently NP is great

Lighting changes, after 2 weeks, the coral should be able to see different changes

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. The product can basically be administered at any time, which is no problem.
      3 doses per week: Monday, Wednesday, Friday. 2 doses per week: Tuesday, Thursday

Don't forget to keep basic water parameters inline (including potassium)

Comment

• Thanks Jacky, you have answered all my questions, will post pic's in a couple of weeks once the corals have adapted to the new lighting and two weeks of adding the various elements.

Comment

• Looking forward, I am very excited and happy for you.

Comment

• I'm due to purchase some salt and have come across a supplier in the UK who supplies the KZ Reefers Best Salt, my question is, can you reduce your water changes to 5% per week with this salt or should it still be 10% ?

Finally, THE KZ Reefers Best Salt is quite a bit more expensive than most other brands, is there any particular reason why this is the case and is it worth the additional cost.

Appreciate that there have been a number of posts on What's The Best Salt/Brand and TBH I don't see a lot of members using the KZ Brand and curious if this could be down to the cost or is it due to it being new on the market as there is currently no reviews from what I have researched.

As always, thanks in advance.

Comment

• The salt is mixed under the guidelines of korallenzucht. In a normal stocked system a weekly water change of 5% using the salt is usually working well. The heavier the system is stocked (corals as consumers) it might make sense to change 10% weekly.

G.Alexander

Comment

• Thanks G, after careful consideration, going to stick with my Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt, readily available from my LFS and gets great reviews from fellow reefers.

Comment

• Not posted water parameters for a while now, so, thought it was time for an up-date, all test carried out using Salifert Test kits, Calcium and Alk are double checked using a Hanna Checker

PH 8.2
                  Alk 6.7
                  Mag 1290
                  Calcium 450
                  Potassium 410
                  Nitrate 1
                  Phosphate 0

The only element that I am currently dosing is Alk ?

I have to admit, that I am getting somewhat frustrated as I have seen no uptake in Calcium, could this be down to the regular 10% water changes, in that, there is sufficient replacement with the water changes ?

Coral wise, again, Hit and Miss, with some doing well, Acropora Pearl Berry, Bali Slimer, Smooth Skin Hurlocks, others, Tropic Thunder Montipora looks like it's browning out, but still some colour coming through, had exactly the same thing happen to a Forest Fire Montipora, which is now coming back and showing decent colouration.

All the Goniopora are looking fantastic as are the majority of LPS, Millipora corals last for about 2/3 weeks and either Bleach or completely Brown out, granted some of this could be down to placement and flow, so, will keep an eye on things over the coming weeks.

No real issues apart from what can only be described as an Ivy type algae, as it sends out a runner and has oval shaped leaves, I have been systematically removing this when I see it and will continue to do so, as there doesn't appear to be any remedies available.

Would welcome your thoughts on the lack of calcium up-take as I would have expected at least a slight increase ?

Comment

• Things sound good, the elements are refreshed in a balanced way by changing the water, and the corals perform better. If I understand what you mean, it is enough to consume Ca element naturally, while keeping the basic water parameters stable (including potassium), KH can be slightly increased to a level of 7 to 7.5, and to maintain a weekly water change of 5-10%

I regret that the appearance characteristics of the algae you described, my experience is not very good. Maybe manually removing algae may also be a quick way. (Can you show the appearance of algae in pictures)

Comment

• I just reviewed your thread and you have posted some sump pictures before:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...633#post595633

In the first picture there is some kind of metal pipe visible on the left, can you tell me what exactly it is ?

As the main parameters are all relative high I would additional recommend to cross check the salinity with a different, accurate instrument to make sure it is not to high.

Are the corals which are doing fine showing healthy polyp expansion and growth ? Does the corals you have lost started to loose tissue on the tips or on the base ?

G.Alexander

Comment

• Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
                        I just reviewed your thread and you have posted some sump pictures before:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...633#post595633

In the first picture there is some kind of metal pipe visible on the left, can you tell me what exactly it is

As the main parameters are all relative high I would additional recommend to cross check the salinity with a different, accurate instrument to make sure it is not to high.

Are the corals which are doing fine showing healthy polyp expansion and growth ? Does the corals you have lost started to loose tissue on the tips or on the base ?

G.Alexander
                        The picture of the sump is actually a photograph of Jacky's sump, I had asked Jacky if she wouldn't mind sharing some pic's of her system.

The salinity is 1.026 and has been checked with several different instruments, when you say the main parameters are all relatively high, can you be more specific as my only concern was the Calcium at 450

Yes, the corals that are doing well are all showing polyp extension and growth, I would say in the vast majority of coral losses have been from the base up.

I have two corals that are doing exceptionally well, Bali Slimer and a Pearl Berry Acropora, both are showing growth at the base and new growth tips.

The majority of Stylophora corals are all doing well, as are the Zoa's, Gonioporas, Torch, Porcillipora.

I've also got Jawbreaker Mushrooms which have reproduced from one single Mushroom to now having 5 new mushrooms, all doing well.

I will post some pic's in the next day or two.

Thanks as always to you both.

Comment

• Sorry, missed that it is not your sump. I was referring to the main water parameters you have posted a couple of days before. Looking forward to your pictures.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                          X