No announcement yet.

Newbie - Where To Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the potassium level is already ~ 380 mg I would recommend to continue with the products you already have at the moment until corals start to get lighter tissue which would be the right time to add products like CoralVitalizer, XTra, B-Balance, Iodine etc.

G.Alexander

Comment

Potassium results, Salifert Test Kit used....

430ppm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

week 7 parameters

PH 8.2
        Potassium 350
        Magnesium 1200
        Alk 7.0
        Calcium 450
        Phosphate 0.00
        Nitrate 10

I would suggest that the variance in the water parameters from the previous week could have been down to faulty test kits, not to bad but there is a variance which is annoying.

Coral wise, few of the SPS have Browned out, Torch, Gonioporas, Mushrooms and Zoa's all doing well, overall, still happy with the progress being made.

As always, welcome any additional support.

Cheers.

Comment

Week 8 Parameters

PH 8.2
          Potassium 350
          Magnesium 1200
          Alk 7.0
          Calcium 450
          Phosphate 0.00
          Nitrate 10

Pretty much as week 7, appreciate that these differ from what is recommended, however, they are at least stable.

A few of the SPS are looking lighter in colouration from the previous week, one thing I have noticed is that the skimmer isn't pulling anywhere near as much of the brown stinky stuff, not sure if this is a good or bad thing, would welcome some input from other Zeo members ?

The one major change I have made to the system is the re-positioning of my Orphek LED Light Bars which have been lowered, that are now running at the same height as the T5's

Overall, disappointed in how some of the SPS have reacted to the change in lighting but accept that the lowering of the LED's will have had a significant impact on their development, im confident they will recover long term.

As always welcome any additional support and advice.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

With a magnesium level of 1200, do you have a chance to double check that the value is correct. Magnesium is 1250 ~ 1300.

Potassium slowly rises to 380 mg. Potassium 350 mg is a bit low

Ca level 450 is not a serious problem, but it is recommended to maintain 400 ~ 420

Mg and potassium It is recommended to slowly increase to the recommended level, this will be interesting and the coral will become more beautiful

The element level looks pretty good overall, I also recommend that you keep changing the water by 5 to 10% every week to supplement the elements in a balanced way

Try to keep NSW water parameters stable

Comment

It is common that SPS corals do respond with a decrease of coloration if the lighting spectrum was changed but if the new spectrum is basically OK they should start to improve coloration again after about 2 weeks.

G.Alexander

Comment

As always, thanks for the additional support and information, I have already taken measure to increase (slowly) the MG and Potassium over the coming weeks, will up-date in 2 weeks.

Comment

One thing I forgot to ask was around increasing my potassium levels, Pohl's K-Balance Potassium Concentrate is this the product I should be using ?

Comment

Yes, K-Balance and K-Balance Stronge, both of which increase potassium

Comment

K-Balance Strong does contain more K+ ions so it might be the better choice for you but basically the Standard version will work also as your total water volume is not to high.

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
                        K-Balance Strong does contain more K+ ions so it might be the better choice for you but basically the Standard version will work also as your total water volume is not to high.

G.Alexander
                        Thanks to you both, I opted for the standard version for the reasons you mention above, I am now looking at an automated Zeo Reactor, one in particular is the Deltec ZA509 Zeolite Reactor

Do you have any experience with this reactor or could you suggest a suitable mode that is automatic, thanks in advance.

Comment

I watched the video about this automatic reactor, I can't say I am right, but some of my thoughts, I think, 1. It is good to be able to effectively collect and measure the actual flow of the water outlet 2. The zeolite material must be able to Full Flip / Scroll

Comment

Originally posted by jacky View Post
                            I watched the video about this automatic reactor, I can't say I am right, but some of my thoughts, I think, 1. It is good to be able to effectively collect and measure the actual flow of the water outlet 2. The zeolite material must be able to Full Flip / Scroll
                            You're lucky Jacky as I haven't been able to find any videos on this reactor whatsoever, that being said, from the reviews I have read it doesn't come out well as most users state that the pumps isn't strong enough to agitate the Zeo materials, the others I have looked at are as follows; KnePo Self-cleaning Zeolithfilter 1,5 Liter intern (ZFA-110-330-W-I) and Dupla Skimz ZAR 127 Zeolith Auto Reactor

Would welcome your input on these units.

Comment

https://www.skimz-marin.com/de/p/841...h-Auto-Reactor

Is it this one?

Comment

I have also never used a automatic reactor but you might find some information in this channel:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/equipment-forums/reactors

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                                X