X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry Alexander, I had forgotten to translate
    I corrected the post.

Comment

Thank you for the translation Alex, things are looking good so my recommendation is to continue dosing as you already do. Around week 4 replace 50% of the ZeoVit material and dose ZeoBac daily for 10 days after the exchange. Next exchange will be 4 weeks later, than replace 90% of the material. Further exchanges can be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks.

G.Alexander

Comment

Good morning, new update. Yesterday I made the first replacement of 50% of zeolite stones, now for the next 10 days I will bring the dosage of zeoback to 3 drops per day, I continue zeostart and sp.power all as before. I have 4 questions for the more experienced:

1) What is the correct use of activated carbon? Should it be moved every few days or better not?
        2) Bottom sand, what is the best way to keep it clean? Do you need to manually shake the surface? Only suction during changes? Insert animals that help in this work (if yes which are the best)?
        3) When to make the first water change?
        4) For the following changes, what do you think is the best solution (every week ?, every 2 weeks? 10%? 20%?)

Thanks as always for all your advice.

Comment

I would recommend to run the carbon passively flown in a mash bag in the sump. Knead the mash bag daily or every other day to prevent channeling and replace the carbon every 4 weeks.

I never had a bare bottom tank but I would expect that most of the sediments are blow away from the current ending up in the sump. A additional pump might be helpful. Otherwise you can vacuum out the sediments once per week while doing the water change.

Usually a water change of weekly 10% works well for most systems to refresh consumed elements in a balanced way. If a fresh system was started beginning with the water changes around week 4 or 6 is what I recommend.

G.Alexander

Comment

All clear is thanks as always Alexander ..... just a clarification for point 2 sand bottom.
            I don't have a bare bottom, but I have the bottom with 3 cm of korallen zucht aragonite, so I meant how to keep it clean. Are there animals that help with this job? Which are the best? Can I smooth the surface with a tube? Do I aspire only during changes?

Comment

I have used this cleaning tool weekly while doing my weekly water change:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3dhg5ylCnQ

It is easy to use and does not take much time.

G.Alexander

Comment

Hello, I wanted to insert some animals to help clean the tank, my trusted shopkeeper available these animals, what do you think is better?

I thought:
                Nr°1 Mespilia Globulus
                Nr°1 Archaster Typicus
                Nr°2 Astraea Tectum
                Nr°2 Trochus Histrio
                Nr°2 Nassarius Vibex

Are animals right for my use? Are the quantities for about 330 l ok?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	lumache.PNG
Views:	61
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	597028Click image for larger version

Name:	riccio.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	597029Click image for larger version

Name:	stella.PNG
Views:	47
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	597030

Comment

The urchin is really helpful if you have algae in your system, they are very effective, snails do also a great job to eat algae but less effective than the urchin, usually they prefer a algae film. The Sea Stars and the Nassarius Snail do move underneath the sand so you will not often see them. From my experience they can be helpful if the sand is never vacuum to get cleaned but I prefer to vacuum the sand weekly manually while doing a water change as this is more effective to remove the sediments.

G.Alexander

Comment

Ok perfect all clear, I'll take some of these animals to help with the cleaning job then.

Sorry Alexander but I still have more questions .....

1) When is the right time to add new useful products to the tank and what are the first products needed to be used? My sps start to have new growths .....
                    2) Is it normal to always have a little opaque water? It seems as if there is a white powder, I do not have the experience to say if they are bacteria or something else, but surely the water does not have a crystalline aspect. Today I think of doing my first 10% of water change.

Comment

It does depend to the nutrient situation and the look of the corals, lets see how the system does establish in the next 4 – 6 weeks. Some kind of a cloudiness is common especially at the beginning, it should disappear over the next couple of weeks but it should also not go more bad, please keep a eye on it.

G.Alexander

Comment

A couple of days ago I added 2 new sps ...... we hope to make them bigger !!!

Name:	IMG_20200727_195731.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	597060Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200728_063959_BURST001_COVER.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	597061Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200727_195746.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	597062Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200728_063914.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	597063

Comment

The coral looks healthy and in good condition. The coral feels slightly lighter to me, but this is not a serious problem. Also keep in mind that the tank looks young and it takes some time to make biology stronger. If possible, the salinity/basic water parameters/potassium level should be kept at NSW as much as possible. We can also collect the outlet flow through the zeolite reactor to ensure that the flow is correct. This seems to be related to the activated carbon brand. If everything is fine, try to do a 15% water change to refresh the elements in a balanced way

Those white bacterial membranes look harmless and look normal. Keep the Zeo basic product plan

Comment

Good morning, I made my first water change yesterday (day 43 from the start), changed 36 liters out of about 330. The animals present seem to maintain good condition, the tank still present as exposed a few days ago the water a little opaque, sand and rocks clean enough only a very light film of algae, on the living rock that I inserted as a test the algae continue to lighten and break away.
                            I made a little comparison to play a little of the first sps inserted in the tank (montipora), photo on the left first day, photo on the right after 18 days where you can see the beginning of the growth and the slight color change. The photos are taken with the tank light off and on the same side. I'm continuing the dosages like this:

-ZeoBak: 3 drops, x 3 times a week
                            -ZeoStart: 0,34 ml day (0,17 ml morning + 0,17 ml evening)
                            -Sp. Potenza:
                            3 drops every other day
                            -0,350 L activate carbon korallen zuch

Next week there will be a lot of news in the tank, several fragments of sps for delivery on Monday, Thursday some of the animals taken to clean the system arrive (curly stars and various hermit crabs) and I think I will start to start the calcium reactor ... .... hopefully all is well. Any comments always very welcome.

Name:	pixlr.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	597087

Comment

Thank you for the update Alex, make sure to have a K+ level of ~ 380 mg when you add the additional corals next week. Good luck that the shipment arrives in good condition especially because of the high temperatures outside these days.

G.Alexander

Comment

Good morning, yes Alexander ..... yesterday's test day. I attach a table summarizing the values ​​of these first 44 days of the tank. Unfortunately the value of potassium is really difficult to read, but currently it seems to be around 400, I hope it is the true value. Unfortunately August is not the best time to do it, but in September I will definitely do a laboratory test and compare with the values ​​of my tests. For the shipment of the new corals everything is well studied, I had to receive them a few days back, but I waited a while to have them because I had a stroke of luck that the shopkeeper where I purchased comes on vacation in my country so he will pick them up morning that leaves and in the car kept very very well after 5 hours they will be with me ........

Given all the zero values, do you think I can add one of my old tank fish again?

Name:	valori 31.07_compressed_page-0001.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	597101

Comment

Working...
                                X