Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help starting a 180 US gallon tank

Tell us about your tank.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter-254 U.S. gallons

2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter-180 U.S. gallons
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique. Will be dosing 2 part

4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)-No

5. Are you using Ozone-No

6. Are you using UV-No

7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)-Reef Octopus SRO-3000 Rated for 200 US Gallons Heavy Load

8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels- will be a new tank

9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels-will be a new tank

10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
    Berlin style
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)-Mitras LX7

12. What corals do you keep-None

13. Tissue color (light or dark)-None

14. How long has the tank been running-Will be new system

15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system- I have seen pictures with amazing results.

16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) No

17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)-Freshly cycled about 75-90lbs.

18. Any present problems-No

19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)-No

20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Will be using salifert, Elos, hanna

21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) Want recommendations on start up dosing.

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
    None for the moment
    23. Which salt brand do you use- Tropic Marin

Hi foxrazr

As it is a fresh system without containing animals I would recommend you to start as listed over here:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showpos...60&postcount=7

G.Alexander

Comment

My supplies are starting to come in and I have some questions. I ordered 500ml zeostart3 and has an expiration date of 7/17? Should I return it or will it still be good after expiration date. Also ordered the Zeobak 50ml bottle and it doesn't have an expiration date? Should I return this also or is this is how the zeobak comes with no expiration date?

Comment

The date stickers show the minimum shelf live so usually those products are good after the date also. Not sure about the ZeoFood, usually each product does have a date sticker. You can not be sure how old it already is.

G.Alexander

Comment

Ok I started Zeovit 4/1/17. Today 4/16/17 I have a diatom bloom. I started the cycle with all dead rock. Ammonia is 0. Nitrates is 25. Should I stop dosing zeostart until the diatom bloom dissappears? I'm currently dosing 0.8ml zeostart3 twice daily. 8 drops of zeobak daily which I stopped 4/14/17 and will continue the biweekly dosing. 8 drops of sponge power daily which I also stopped 4/14/17 and will continue biweekly dosing. I currently have 1.5liters of zeolites in the reactor.

Comment

Your dosing quantities are a little bit high for the system size but this is not the reason for the diatoms. Lets continue as follows:

ZeoBac – 7 drops 3 x weekly
            ZeoStart – 0.7 ml 2 x daily
            SpongePower – 7 drops every other day

As long as the diatoms are there you should not add fish or corals, some snails might be helpful.

As you have used dry rock the cycle will take much more time so some patience is necessary. Because of the diatoms my recommendation would be just giving the system time not, I am sure they will disappear over the time.

G.Alexander

Comment

How long should I continue dosing like this? My diatoms are disappearing but are still there. I also added some snails how you recommended and they have cleaned the rock pretty good. Ammonia continues at 0. My nitrates originally climb up somewere between 50-100 as per salifert but are now at 50. Only other parameter I checked was the phosphate with hanna checker and it was high at 0.19. Also I have a bacterial bloom for the past week but it also seems to be dying down.Water was very cloudy but now is much clearer.

Comment

You can keep the dosing regimen at the moment, make sure to have the right reactor flow for the zeovit by measuring the flow.

G.Alexander

Comment

My diatoms are almost all gone. I do have a couple of light brown spots in the sand bed. I did my first water change 15 gallons using Tropic Marin Pro. I already added some of my fish to the tank. Parameters are as follows: DKH 9.0, Ca 470, Mg 1320, K410, Ammonia 0, Nitrates 25ppm, Phosphates 0.15.
                  Currently running 1.5liters of Zeolit media, 1/2 liter of Activated Carbon passively
                  Dosing:
                  zeobak 7 drops Monday, Wednesday, Friday
                  Sponge Power 7 drops Monday, Wednesday, Friday
                  Zeostart3 7 drops twice daily

When can I start adding corals? Also what other additives do I need once the corals are in?

Comment

Your ZeoStart dosage is very low, is there any special reason for it ? Usually for your system size 0.68 ml 2 x daily would be the recommended quantity. Water flow of your zeovit reactor should be 180 US gallons per hour. You can measure it by collecting the water from the outlet for 30 seconds, than multiply its volume by 120 and you will get the output per hour.

G.Alexander

Comment

Meant 0.7ml twice daily

Comment

Nutrient levels are still elevated however this should slowly change over the time. You can try to add the first not to delicate SPS test coral to see how it is doing, at the moment no additional elements are necessary.

G.Alexander

Comment

I want to restart Zeovit but don’t know where to start. It’s still the same tank that started the thread. I still have no corals and 6 fish. Any guidance is appreciated.

Comment

If there are no animals in the system already you can start the cycle as described over here:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...803#post290803

G.Alexander

Comment

I have 6 fish. Do I still start like it’s a new tank?

Comment

Working...
                              X