Well another Tough choice (fish list)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well another Tough choice (fish list)

Well guys i posted like a week ago and thought i made up my mind finally about my fish list it only took me a good 6 months, heres the list

2 cleaner shrimp
    2 ocellaris clowns
    1 flame fairy wrasse
    1 labouti fairy wrasse
    1 lineatus fairy wrasse
    1 regal angel
    1 imperator angel
    1 mimic tang

But heres the thing i have egg crate covering the back of my tank and i have been reading recently that these fairy wrasses can fit through these openings, so i am very leary of spending about 300 on these 3 fishes to loose them to jumping!

so i am now thinking about replacing the 3 fairy wrasses with a small school of anthias around 4-5, these would be the first anthias i have ever kept so i want something simple and came up with the easiest 2 being a group of Bartletts or lyretail.

now with all this said, which would you go with? any choice will be an excellent addition, both would add alot of color to my tank, but i think the fairy wrasse opitition would add different color becasue each fish has a different color to them. with the anthias choice i would have one male and 3 or 4 females.

i will feed my tank 2-3 times a day so i think either choice will be ok since both the fairy wrasses and the anthias need to be feed 2-3 times a day.

anyhow what should i do? i love fairy wrasses, but thats alot of money to loose on 3 fish that MIGHT jump out even though every opening is covered with egg crate?

so what should i do?

thanks!

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

or i guess is there a better anthias to add to the list?

thanks!

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Can you not put a thin sheet of acrylic over the egg crate to keep them form jumping?
      Brian

Comment

no because i use fans to cool my tank from the 4 250w DE pendants so i cant cut the back flow off since the fans are on a shefl behind the canopy.

Nick

Comment

nick you cant keep a 15" emperor in a 180!! jk.....

and since when were cleaner shrimp fish...am I missing something???
          Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

they add to the bioload so i put them on the list

Nick

Comment

ahh ok...yeah...
              Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

nbd,

You seem to be feeding alot, but thats just my opinion.

As for your fish, you already have a good number, why not let the tank settle for a while and let some of your fish and coral grow?

You could surely find someone productive for your tank to spend 300 on if its itching to be spent.

This may just be my take, but if you're trying for a nutrient low system, a lot of fish and a lot of feeding its taking a step backwards.

Comment

sean- the only fish in there are the 2 clowns and about 4 coral nothing else my next addition will be alittle more coral 2 i think in about 2 more weeks i am going slow, i just want to plan out my fish list beforehand to try to figure out what i am going to do.

so you think i shoudl only feed the clowns once a day? i am feeding 2 small portions 2 times a day one at luchtime 12ish and one at 6ish just alittle bit.

i thought my fishload or bioload was alright for my sized tank, do you think i have to much?

i guess i am planning ahead here, but wanted to plan out my fishes beforehand so i had a plan of action type thing.

anyway let me know what you think sean,

and anyone else care to comment on anthias or fairy wrasses?

thanks!

Nick

Comment

Oh, I read that wrong, I thought that list was stuff that was already in the tank.

I don't know much about angels to tell you the truth, I like tangs and I'd recommend them to anyone who can handle them in their tank.

If your clowns have an anem but careful, they can become very territorial when they have a host and may limit some swimming space in the tank.

Comment

nope no anemone in this tank ALL SPS nothing else! i love them so much i am dedicating a 180 to SPS haha!

anyhow yeah i am just planning ahead for my fish, anyhow i just cant decide between the anthias or the fairy wrasses! man so tough!

thanks!

Nick

Comment

Well both are pretty pricey. I'm not big into fish so I don't think you could get me to put down 300 on 3 fish. Just my take

Best of luck in your decision though!

A school of tangs (same kind) would be pretty cool.

Comment

yeah but i think a school of tangs needs a bigger tank maybe in the furture when i upgrade,

thanks for the help sean!

anyone else out there care to comment on the wrasse or anthias choice?

thanks!

Nick

Comment

My vote goes to fairy wrasses, it can do with minimal feedings while the anthias needs almost constant feeding for them to thrive. More feedings = more bioload, nuthing good will come out of that one for SPS tanks.
                            Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

Anthias jump too............My two bartletts have both jumped & I was there to plop them back in. One jumped when startled by a maxi jet kicking on & the other jumped right over my shoulder when I was feeding the tank.

When I'm not there I have an eggcrate top & it has window screening covering it so they can't fit through the squares. I stretched the screening across the eggcrate tight & attached it with zip ties around the border.

My only suggestion with your list is I'd go with just two larger fish. One tang & angel or two angels.

Comment

Working...
                              X